• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly P13/14 PIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Because it's, for most people, the easiest to read. Which will be why all the motorway and trunk road agencies also use orange on black.

Those of us who remember the railway's flirt with any-colour plasma based screens. They were truly awful.

Nothing has worked better than orange on black LED, or white on black Solari :)

I always thought that it was black on orange.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm not aware that you can give the R to the driver with only the mid platform signal off, I've been working through Man Picc 13/14 for years and it's just been a case of draw down by verbal instruction or hand signal from the platform staff. @Tomnick can probably confirm for me given I rarely see the actual process occur given I'm generally on the PA in the rear cab explaining why the doors haven't been released at the time :lol:
You called?

I certainly wouldn't expect to receive the RA at the mid-platform just to draw down to the correct stopping position. I'd consider myself entitled to clear off to Oxford Road or Stockport if I did. I don't know if there's anything to physically prevent RA being given in that situation if the mid-platform signal has only cleared to a single yellow.

If it's obvious that we're coming into the B end with a train still in the A end, I always try to speak to the Guard before they leave the cab ("I'll give you 2-2 if we stop at this end, then I'll just draw forward when the signal clears"). I try to trundle along the platform as sedately as possible to avoid coming to a stand, but it's not the end of the world if we do, especially given the number of people employed solely to shout at people there. I'm mindful, especially on the Down, that I might be blocking connections in rear if I stop short of the platform, so I won't do that.

Some highlights from the Sectional Appendix...

PLATFORMS 13 & 14 ONLY

Method of Working.

The normal method of working will be for trains to work in the Down-direction on the Down line, and in the Up-direction on the Up line, with passenger trains calling at the far end of each platform (i.e. beyond the mid-platform signal).

Should a train come to a stand at the mid-platform signal, conductors should not attempt to open the train doors until the train has drawn fully forwards and come to a stand at the normal end of the platform (i.e. beyond the mid platform signal). Conductors should consider advising passengers on board that the train will be drawing forwards and the doors will be opening shortly.

Once the mid-platform signal clears to a proceed aspect, the Driver may then draw the train forward and stop at the relevant stop board. It should be noted that, unless doors have been released (see below), there is no requirement to receive the RA indication from these signals.

Should it be necessary to undertake station duties in the rear platform section (e.g. due to a failed train or ill passenger on the train in the forward section), then the following must take place, provided the full length of the train is in the platform (unless SDO fitted or local door selection is utilised):

1. The Signaller, upon learning that the train in the forward section will not be moving, must contact the platform staff via the ManRail radio system and advise them of this
2. The Platform Staff must advise the Driver of the train in the rear section that the train will be required to undertake platform duties at its current location. NOTE: Platform staff must ensure that the full length of the train is in the platform prior to advising the driver of this.
3. The Driver must advise the Conductor of the need to undertake platform duties in the rear section of the platform and the Conductor must then undertake this duty, as per their Company policies and procedures.

NOTES:
(a) If a train does undertake station duties whilst stood at a mid-platform signal on platform 13 or 14, then the mid-platform signal must display either a double yellow or green aspect before being dispatched. Trains MUST NOT be dispatched on a single yellow aspect, only to be stopped again further along the platform. This also applies when the platforms are being used bi-directionally.
(b) Platform staff must manage passenger and train interface risk for any train which terminates in Platform 13 or 14 and which then continues forwards as empty coaching stock. Drivers must assess risk and if required, request that their train is dispatched using normal procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.