• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Not to sure whether this has been answered before but is there any reason why the entrance from Fairfield Street to Platforms 13/14 was closed a couple of years ago? The entrance is still there on Fairfield Street but locked and from both directions, surely reopening this entrance will make it easier for people wanting services from 13/14 rather than having to go all the way through the station and also make it quicker aswell

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
I'm not quite sure to which entrance you are referring.

There is the lift from the bridge[at the back of, I think it's Costa Coffee], to the taxi drop-off and bus stands below, which, as I discovered a couple of months ago, cuts-off a great chunk of the walk if you are arriving on 13 or 14and heading for the Metro station.

Was there a link directly to Fairfield St from the actual island platforms, and if this is to what you are referring, could it have been closed when ticket checks were started on the bridge?

Established Member
The stairs were closed due to antisocial use after 7pm. A lift was put in to replace it, which links the Satellite lounge with Fairfield street, 15m away.

Numerous incidents reported there over the years, some (shocking/interesting/other) sights witnessed by platform staff enroute to their coffee break on those steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.