• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Victoria Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Forgive me if this is a stupid question or in the wrong place, but this is something that baffled me last week and I thought I'd enquire about it here.

So I was on my way back home from Old Trafford and had to change at Manchester Piccadilly, and as I was heading towards the elevators to get to the main concourse of Manchester Piccadilly from Plat 13/14, I noticed on the display for the next train it said 22.18 to Manchester Piccadilly. I don't remember what platform it was on but I believe it was 14, and I was kind of confused by this. As far as I remember the only way to get to Victoria direct from Piccadilly was by Tram or Bus. Since when has there been a direct service between the stations by train, and what route do they take? I'm guessing they stop at the through rail at Salford Crescent and the Driver switches ends or something like that? Forgive me for the stupid thread but the topic intrigues me.

Btw it was on a Sunday!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think this has something to do with the fact that TPE are running through Victoria on Sundays at the moment.

Opentraintimes suggests that the service reverses at Salford Crescent, using yesterday as an example.

emjass

Indeed! I was on one of those trains yesterday. Due to construction work at Stalybridge on every Sunday, trains reverse at Salford Crescent and head toward Manchester Victoria arriving around 10 minutes later and then head toward Huddersfield. It is at Huddersfield that trains reverse once again to head toward Leeds.

Established Member
Some services at Piccadilly are advertised as the xx.xx to Manchester Piccadilly, as in the peak hours the Hadfield/Glossop trains do a full circuit, so another strange one to look out for.

Prodigy

Funnily enough, I check the NR site to look at the route this morning, their advertised ticket price between the two stations? £20.50!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Some services at Piccadilly are advertised as the xx.xx to Manchester Piccadilly, as in the peak hours the Hadfield/Glossop trains do a full circuit, so another strange one to look out for.

The departures are generally not advertised as services to Manchester Piccadilly, I have never seen one of those. They will say Hadfield / Glossop. The arrivals board does often show arrivals as coming from Manchester Piccadilly though.

Established Member
The departures are generally not advertised as services to Manchester Piccadilly, I have never seen one of those. They will say Hadfield / Glossop. The arrivals board does often show arrivals as coming from Manchester Piccadilly though.

I've seen it advertised as Man Pic but cannot remember if it was on the arrivals or departures board (probably the former as you say). I'll have a look out for it on Thursday when I'm using one of the services.

Lampshade

Established Member
I've seen it advertised as Man Pic but cannot remember if it was on the arrivals or departures board (probably the former as you say). I'll have a look out for it on Thursday when I'm using one of the services.

It's in the WTT as Manchester Piccadilly but advertised as Glossop (not Hadfield).

Eagle

Established Member
It's in the WTT as Manchester Piccadilly but advertised as Glossop (not Hadfield).

Same as the Wirral Line; advertised as going to Liverpool Central (or Lime Street currently) but in the WTT they run from Chester to Chester, New Brighton to New Brighton, and so on.

dvboy

Established Member
Presumably once they reach a certain point on the route, the destination at stations becomes the proper destination

Status
Not open for further replies.