• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Rugby - Longbridge - Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeni

Heya

I'm a long time lurker, and I'm usually pretty good at digging out the best fares myself, but I'm struggling a bit with this one!

Next week I'm travelling as follows:
Wed 4th June -
  • Manchester - Rugby
  • Rugby - Longbridge
Sunday 8th June
  • Longbridge - Leeds (Need to arrive in Leeds by 12.30pm)
  • Leeds - Manchester (Departing Leeds at about 6pm)

I would like to do this if possible with walk-up tickets, at least for the Wednesday as I can't commit to any times, and my plans are liable to change at the last minute.

There are a few potential variables...
  • I have a pass that I can use on Stagecoach buses between Coventry and Rugby, so if its substantially cheaper to go to Coventry rather than Rugby on the Wednesday, that is an option.
  • On my final Leeds - Manchester leg, there are others I can travel with on a Megabus, so unless I can save money by getting the train instead, I shall take that option
The best I can do so far seems to be doing this rather than splitting...
  • Off peak return from Leeds to Longbridge @ £51.10. Starting short at Manchester, breaking journey at Birmingham
  • Off peak day return from Birmingham to Rugby @ £6.10
  • Use Megabus for final Leeds - Manchester leg

Does anyone know a better way, or have I perhaps got the best deal I can there?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just to add, the reason I'm not using Megabus/NatEx for the entire journey, is that I don't want to spend half the day travelling!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
If you'd rather not use megabus then

Leeds - Rugby off peak return £61.50
Birmingham - Longbridge CDS £3-60
Longbridge - Birmingham CDS £3-60

Total £68.70

You start the outward journey of the off peak return short at Manchester (It is valid via Manchester).
You then break the return Journey at Birmingham (to go to Longbridge & Back)

Alternatively use Manchester - Rugby off peak return plus Birmingham - Longbridge singles and megabus Manchester - Leeds

Man - Rugby £44.70
B'ham - Longb £7.20
total £51.90

Jeni

Thanks for the advice above, as half expected, I've had a change of plan, so now the only travel that I'll be doing is:

Sunday 8th: Birmingham - Leeds ( - Manchester if there is a good deal)

So on that basis, is there a nice split between Birmingham and Leeds. The best advance I can find (10:03 BHM - LDS) is £24.50, alternatively a £53 anytime single.

Have tried splitting at Sheffield, that works out better for the anytime fares, but the advance fares work out more expensive.

So unless there are any words of Wisdom, I guess the £24.50 advance is my best bet?

sonic2009

Established Member
Thanks for the advice above, as half expected, I've had a change of plan, so now the only travel that I'll be doing is:

Sunday 8th: Birmingham - Leeds ( - Manchester if there is a good deal)

So on that basis, is there a nice split between Birmingham and Leeds. The best advance I can find (10:03 BHM - LDS) is £24.50, alternatively a £53 anytime single.

Have tried splitting at Sheffield, that works out better for the anytime fares, but the advance fares work out more expensive.

So unless there are any words of Wisdom, I guess the £24.50 advance is my best bet?

For the Train yes :)

unless you are willing to travel via National Express or Megabus to Leeds :)

Jeni

unless you are willing to travel via National Express or Megabus to Leeds :)

That's the thing, I generally use the train for speed... I'm not one to trundle along all day on a coach visiting a few cities on the way!

Being a smoker, I just want to get to where I'm going ASAP so I can light up a ciggy ;)

sonic2009

Established Member
If you travel later in the day splitting your journey at Derby with Advance tickets will save you around £5.

button_boxer

Established Member
Splitting at both Derby and Sheffield gets it down to £14.70(BHM-DBY)+£10.20(DBY-SHF)+£9.80(SHF-LDS)=£34.70 for walk-up fares. You can get it down further if you can get hold of a Derbyshire Wayfarer and catch a train that stops at Burton-on-Trent - £10.90(BHM-BUT)+£11.10(DW)+£9.80(SHF-LDS)=£31.80.

Status
Not open for further replies.