• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Stalybridge Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmbwls

Probably mentioned before but will they do the guide bridge to stalybridge line first before they start on the remaining section between stalybridge and miles platting?
I put the question earlier and the answer is as yet we did not know. However we also don't know about whether the remodelled Stalybridge with its 2012 bias towards trains to Piccadilly via Guide Bridge off platform four will be sustained. The PWI slides showed an increase in Speed through Stalybridge but that chart was Manchester to Leeds not the reverse. However if the PWI principle that "to go fast don't go slow" still applies then it seems prudent to expect some changes. The line from Stalybridge to Guide Bridge has a number of suitable looking areas for storing/assembling equipment. It would offer potential synergy if electrified - not least a more robust electrical connection for the Glossop line. It's a long time since I've travelled that way - are there still redundant 1,500v overhead portals still around there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Revaulx

I put the question earlier and the answer is as yet we did not know. However we also don't know about whether the remodelled Stalybridge with its 2012 bias towards trains to Piccadilly via Guide Bridge off platform four will be sustained. The PWI slides showed an increase in Speed through Stalybridge but that chart was Manchester to Leeds not the reverse. However if the PWI principle that "to go fast don't go slow" still applies then it seems prudent to expect some changes. The line from Stalybridge to Guide Bridge has a number of suitable looking areas for storing/assembling equipment. It would offer potential synergy if electrified - not least a more robust electrical connection for the Glossop line. It's a long time since I've travelled that way - are there still redundant 1,500v overhead portals still around there.
Lots; certainly as far as Asda in Ashton.

It's an awful line though: slow as can be, with loads of tight curves. At least the Hudds locals have been operated by 185s since being rerouted that way; having to travel along there on a Pacer would have been absolute purgatory.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It was suggested somewhere above that until re-modelling takes place the electrification from Victoria will only go into a bay platform, thereby avoiding putting wires above the tracks that will move during the re-modelling. The same surely applies to the tracks from Guide Bridge, so the earliest they would be electrified would be after completion of the new layout.

With the exception of some future EMUs terminating from Victoria (which therefore can't approach from Guide Bridge), all trains at Stalybridge will be diesel or bi-mode until the route is electrified at least as far as Leeds. So diversionary routes don't need to be electrified at least until that time, and possibly not until electrification of most of the northern destinations plus Calder Valley and other diversionary routes means most of the TPE fleet can be electric only.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
This has been talked about in the main TPU upgrade thread but a YouTube from the IET - over an hour long on the whole video including Q&A session. Dont know what everyone thinks but since it looks as it is all one project split into bits again, I think I will suggest to the mods that this thread is locked and all discussed in the main thread.

Roger B

This has been talked about in the main TPU upgrade thread but a YouTube from the IET - over an hour long on the whole video including Q&A session. Dont know what everyone thinks but since it looks as it is all one project split into bits again, I think I will suggest to the mods that this thread is locked and all discussed in the main thread.

Hi Gralistair. Love your posts, please keep 'em coming. Sorry, but, I don't agree with you on this. TPU is going to be several years in duration, comprising several different projects, some of which will be about so much more than electrification. One thread for all's going to become pretty big, and it may be hard to find anything about a particular topic. Might it not be better to a have a thread per project? I think I'd find it easier to follow what's going on (or not) if it were structured that way.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I really appreciate your feedback and maybe on balance you are correct so I will leave to the moderator team. Scottish is all one thread or appears to be and that is getting unwieldy imho likewise GWML. Like I said I will leave to the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.