• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

manchester this tuesday/wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I are going abroad on Wednesday night from Manchester airport and are traveling from carnoustie to Edinburgh at 0808 tomorrow, what platform would this train arrive at Edinburgh and what 170 will work this service?

We will then transfer onto the 0951 to Manchester airport, what platform does this service departs from and does this service join up with a Glasgow service at carlisle?

What decent freight trains will I pass between 0800 to 1400 tomorrow and is it possible to see kingmoor depot and carlisle yard from the train?

What is the usual rolling stock on the Manchester picadilly to Manchester airport line, do freight trains run on this part of the line and what is the calling pattern between these two stops?

We return next week on the 0735 Manchester airport to edinburgh service, does this service call at heald green, what platform would this service arrive at Edinburgh and what platform does the 1128 Edinburgh to inverurie service depart from?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't think a specific 170 would be planned, just any from the fleet based at Aberdeen (?). TPE usually leave Edinburgh from the western bay platforms, I can't check ATM sadly, so I can't tell you about joining either. Kingsmoor etc can be seen with ease on the right as you travel south, there's usually a few locos milling about in and south of the station too. I don't know if any freight uses the Styal line (between Picc and Airport), but it sees 323s and 185s only during the daytime, some Voyagers and 390s run that way, but usually early or very late in the day. Calling points are all stations (2tph Northern 323), plus I think 1 at Heald Green only (TPE 185) and 3 non-stop per hour (TPE 185). You may also see an ATW 175, but I don't know the times.

The calling point and joining questions can be answered by a journey planner (like NRE) or the timetable on TPE's site...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My family and I are going abroad on Wednesday night from Manchester airport and are traveling from carnoustie to Edinburgh at 0808 tomorrow, what platform would this train arrive at Edinburgh and what 170 will work this service?

One of the bays is my best guess, but not sure which. I'd say 17 at a guess.

We will then transfer onto the 0951 to Manchester airport, what platform does this service departs from and does this service join up with a Glasgow service at carlisle?

TPX normally depart in my experience from one of the bay platforms, again a guess (as even looking for booked platforms could see them changed by tomorrow depending on the circumstances at hand) would be 13.

Pretty sure it does join up with one from Glasgow, but I don't have the timetable to hand.

What decent freight trains will I pass between 0800 to 1400 tomorrow and is it possible to see kingmoor depot and carlisle yard from the train?

Not sure what you'd class as 'decent' but there will be coal and container trains going past between Carstairs and Preston at least. Kingmoor depot and Carlisle yards are both visible from the train (right hand side when heading south), although you'll be going by them quite quickly so don't expect to get all of the numbers.

What is the usual rolling stock on the Manchester picadilly to Manchester airport line, do freight trains run on this part of the line and what is the calling pattern between these two stops?

With TPX, it'll be 185s and Northern it'll be usually 150s/156s and 323s depending on origin. Never known a freight train along that route, and most TPX services are non-stop Piccadilly to Airport (your one from Edinburgh will probably be non-stop), with all-stations stoppers also with TPX at least once an hour.

We return next week on the 0735 Manchester airport to edinburgh service, does this service call at heald green, what platform would this service arrive at Edinburgh and what platform does the 1128 Edinburgh to inverurie service depart from?

Dunno if it calls at Heald Green but I suspect so at that time of day. Again, it'll be the west-facing bays at Edinburgh normally but no idea which ones.

One of the bays is my best guess, but not sure which. I'd say 17 at a guess.

TPX normally depart in my experience from one of the bay platforms, again a guess (as even looking for booked platforms could see them changed by tomorrow depending on the circumstances at hand) would be 13.

Pretty sure it does join up with one from Glasgow, but I don't have the timetable to hand.

Not sure what you'd class as 'decent' but there will be coal and container trains going past between Carstairs and Preston at least. Kingmoor depot and Carlisle yards are both visible from the train (right hand side when heading south), although you'll be going by them quite quickly so don't expect to get all of the numbers.

With TPX, it'll be 185s and Northern it'll be usually 150s/156s and 323s depending on origin. Never known a freight train along that route, and most TPX services are non-stop Piccadilly to Airport (your one from Edinburgh will probably be non-stop), with all-stations stoppers also with TPX at least once an hour.

Dunno if it calls at Heald Green but I suspect so at that time of day. Again, it'll be the west-facing bays at Edinburgh normally but no idea which ones.

Thanks, this will be the first time my family and I have been Manchester as we have been before.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Enjoy your trip then, and feel free to take notes to do a write up for the Trip Reports section of the forum :)

Chapeltom

Established Member
When I came back from Edinburgh, my TPE back to Manchester Piccadilly departed from the unbarriered through Platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.