• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
If you're travelling after the morning peak, the South Pennine Day Ranger is valid via Sheffield. Except that between Sheffield and Leeds, you have to travel on a train that calls at Barnsley.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pra5d5c70a040002003ffec51cbc6f81/details.html

Do you?

I know the map doesn't show the route XC trains normally take, but I seem to remember a long discussion about this a while back.

A few months ago, I used such a ticket on a XC train between Sheffield and Leeds, and it was accepted by the Conductor with no problems.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you're travelling after the morning peak, the South Pennine Day Ranger is valid via Sheffield. Except that between Sheffield and Leeds, you have to travel on a train that calls at Barnsley.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pra5d5c70a040002003ffec51cbc6f81/details.html
Nowhere there does it say the train must call at Barnsley. Only if using a combination of tickets, does the train need to call anywhere (unless one is a season and the other(s) is/are not).

Also, have you seen South Pennine Day Ranger & Cross Country trains? (The customer was refunded)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The maps are from the Routeing Guide which enables passengers and rail staff to determine what the permitted routes are for a ticket. It is a complex and difficult document to use requiring the sacrifice of your first born (or the promise of such). But essentially you look up to routeing points for the stations on the ticket, then you can find out what map combinations you need and then finally you can trace a route using the maps between the two stations and as long as it doesn't involve doubling back or travelling through the same routeing point twice it's a permitted route.

That's a very very simple outline of a rather complex document. If you want to know more I suggest you read through the website and then come here with any questions you may have (which are likely to be many :lol:).

Status
Not open for further replies.