• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to London "Off Peak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par

Looking to book a straightforward ticket for my daughter to travel from Piccadilly to Euston on Friday 27th June. She will be using a 16-25 Railcard.

The issue I have is that all the booking sites (including Virgin's own) seem to be willing to sell an "Off Peak Return" for the 0700 from Manchester, returning on the 1700 from London for a fare of £52.60.

I could of course book this now, but I simply cannot believe that this ticket is valid at these times, and am afraid that my daughter would be challenged about the validity?

This is too good to be true surely? What would the position be if she was challenged but could show the itinerary for these booked trains?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Virgin allow railcard-discount Off-Peak tickets to be used any time so this is intentional!

horizonflame

Due to Virgin Train's railcard easement your daughter with be fine with the Off-Peak ticket and her 16-25 Railcard. At the time she is travelling she must stick to Virgin for her entire journey.

headshot119

Established Member
Definitely allowed I regular use Wrexham General - London Terminal SVRs on trains before 09:30. Taking full advantage of the rail card easement.

Par

Thanks to all those who replied, I'll get it booked.

Seems incredible value this using "off peak" ticket on those "peak" trains. :D

higthomas

I agree, although it is also incredible how much a Manchester-London anytime return costs, £321 how!!!

Also does anyone happen to know why there is this railcard easement on Virgin, seems strange.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The theory is that business people don't have Railcards, or if they do, the Company wont realise or bother to buy a discounted ticket.

kieron

Established Member
Thanks to all those who replied, I'll get it booked.

While it's not the case for this ticket, there are a lot of other journeys (such as Manchester-Rugby or Manchester-Glasgow) for which off peak tickets are available which are valid for everyone throughout the peaks.

While there are peak trains in the sense of being the busiest ones of day on the route, there aren't any in the sense of not being usable with off-peak tickets. Only tickets which are not valid on specific trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.