• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to London on the cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Liam

Hello,

Looking for Manchester to London, leaving about 10am on 24/2.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mobitix is £16 providing you can leave at 10:55!

http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/VT/advancePurchase.aspx

(Previous topic is here; the other suggestion there is Megabus/Megatrain however on this route it is a bus, the price is £10 however the journey takes more than twice the time!)

If you require cheap walk-on travel, then the cheapest tickets would be a Virgin only ticket to Stoke-on-Trent (SOT), and then a London Midland (LM) only ticket from SOT to Euston. On this date the Great Escape promotion is on, unlimited travel on London Midland for £10 (or £20 in First Class).

Anyone know the reason why Manchester to London advance fares are so much cheaper than Glasgow to London section of the WCML?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone know the reason why Manchester to London advance fares are so much cheaper than Glasgow to London section of the WCML?
Because Manchester to London is half the distance? And also there are 3tph.

pemma

Veteran Member
Because Manchester to London is half the distance? And also there are 3tph.

That's very true. When there were two trains an hour the cheapest fares were around £12 but Virgin knocked a bit off when they went to 3tph to try and attract more passengers to fill at least some of the 440 extra seats every hour.

route101

Established Member

With an every 20 min service im surprised they stilll have seat reservations . Yeah never seen the £17 quid Glasgow to London Advance .Maybe its on the 04xxam service to Euston:lol:

TheWalrus

Established Member
Wait til HS2 is built :lol: then you will get it dirt cheap. thing is you could walk there and arrive with decades before its built!

Sorry I didnt explain that fully - I didnt mean Glasgow I meant the Glasgow route with stations such as Preston, Wigan NW, Warrington Bank Quay there advance fares are nothing like the Manchester route. But it has been cleared up due to the frequency - Cheers. :D

Pumbaa

Established Member
Sorry I didnt explain that fully - I didnt mean Glasgow I meant the Glasgow route with stations such as Preston, Wigan NW, Warrington Bank Quay there advance fares are nothing like the Manchester route. But it has been cleared up due to the frequency - Cheers. :D

Basic economic theory. Demand and supply determine the price and quantity, and vice versa. On Manchester, the supply is three times as great as the Glasgow route, ergo the quantity supplied shifts upwards as the price comes down in response.

317 forever

Established Member
If you have a bit of time to spare, you could change at Stoke-on-Trent onto a slow London Midland train, as they usually have singles cheaper than Virgin Trains.

CHESHIRECAT

No good with I Phone or the newer Blackberry phones...I have a 9780 and it wont recive e tickets!!

Status
Not open for further replies.