Manchester to London

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by 1B85, 9 Sep 2019.

1. 1B85

1B85 Member

Are there any more reasonably priced alternative routes or split tickets than the direct Virgin service? Cost is the primary concern, not too bothered about it taking a bit longer...

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. jtuk

jtuk Member

Get to Crewe, Stafford etc and pick up the stopper that goes through Northampton?

4. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Cheap Northern advance to Stoke/Crewe, then a West Midlands Railway/London Northwestern only ticket to London, either direct via the Trent Valley or going via New Street/Northampton.

Although I believe there is some recently introduced "West Midlands + TfW Rail" fares for travel via Crewe.

5. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Split tickets at Stoke-on-Trent.

Cheap London Northwestern Railway tickets from Stoke to London on their slower trains.

(Between Manchester and Stoke, there are cheaper Virgin-only tickets but you might appreciate the added flexibility of an any operator ticket.)

6. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Quizmaster

7. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Just to add, the time restrictions do apply on Saturdays, but not on Sundays.

8. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

When are you travelling?

Searching for 9am tomorrow on Trainsplit in value mode shows prices from £21.90 undiscounted single (on XC/WMT in this case)

Attached Files:

9. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

Isn’t Huddersfield to London cheaper?

10. yorkie

It can be, but probably not if the customer is happy to take West Midlands Trains between Crewe (or Stoke) and London.

11. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

I used to have some success by splitting Advances - an XC one from Manchester to Birmingham or Coventry and then another on VT from there to London. This was a few years ago so the relative benefits may have shifted.

12. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Also note that this journey can be speeded up significantly by changing at Stafford and taking a WMT service via Atherstone, which nay be the same price - or by going from Manchester to Crewe instead of to Stoke-on-Trent.

13. greyman42

greyman42 On Moderation

Can you buy the ticket at Manchester?

14. Bensonby

Bensonby Member

I used to do London-Manchester and back regularly in the mid 2000’s saving a lot of Monday going via Sheffield on TPE and EMT. Not sure if that is still a viable cheap route.

15. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

You should be able to. If not, you can buy it online.

16. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Walk up fares from Huddersfield aren’t cheaper but they give flexibility to travel via the WCML (Via Manchester) or the ECML to London.

The cheapest way of travelling from Manchester to London, using straightforward tickets, is using the WMT & TfW tickets.

17. Joe Paxton

Indeed so. I assume the WMT+TfW fares will get promoted in some form sooner or later, otherwise they'll just be an obscure ticket that only the cognoscenti know about!

I see you can buy them from Trainline-powered sites using the "check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available" facility. None of the WebTIS sites seem to offer them yet via the "show slower routes" facility, and TrainSplit / trainscanbecheaper needs to be coaxed into offering them by using the "include / exclude selected operators" in the Advanced options.

18. Joe Paxton

Thanks... I think I'm stuck in the past, as before the London Midland (as was) Crewe services were speeded up some years ago, I'm pretty sure back then quicker to go via Stoke-on-Trent rather than Crewe (that's certainly what I and a group of friends did for a London-Manchester trip). However the world changes!

19. yorkie

Depends on connections but in the past if you went via Crewe you'd have had an extra change if you wanted to go direct on the WCML avoiding Alsager.

It's relatively fast and very cheap so it's found by Trainsplit without having to do any via points or restrict the search to any TOCs.

Its unlikely to be as cheap as going on West Midlands Trains and it will also be slower. But if anyone wanted to take that route, you could use Trainsplit's advanced mode and specify EMT and TPE only, or specify via Sheffield.

20. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

You used to be able to get LM to Stoke and change there for Virgin, taking advantage of Virgin only tickets between Stoke and Manchester.

Nowadays the WMT&TfW fares are better value.

21. Joe Paxton

You still can, of course - it's just that the WMT/LNR trains to Crewe are faster than they once were.

Indeed so.

How reliable is the hourly TfW service to and from Manchester?

22. jfollows

jfollows Member

Not in the least bit. It's extremely unreliable between Crewe and Manchester.

Often terminated short at Wilmslow once it becomes clear that they won't make it to Piccadilly in time for the return working to leave on time. Or never makes it past Crewe because of a cow on the line or a broken down freight train somewhere on the route from Cardiff.

I make a point of never planning to use them from Wilmslow to Manchester. Just not worth the hassle. In the other direction, if I happen to arrive in Manchester and there's one there then I use it.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2019 at 20:07
  23. Joe Paxton

And that's my fear with this ticket - being stranded in Crewe or Wilmslow (or indeed at Man Picc) waiting for the next TfW service, or otherwise having an argument with the guard of A.N. Other TOC over whether or not my WMT+TfW-only ticket can be used on their train...

24. jfollows

jfollows Member

To be fair, I had a look at the running of the TfW service Crewe-Wilmslow-Manchester over the last seven days, 6/9 to 12/9, and there seem to have been only three significant alterations in that period:
    1. 8/9 1W45 & 1V20, turned at Crewe omitting Wilmslow, Stockport and Manchester in both directions
    2. 11/9 1W10 & 1V40, turned at Wilmslow omitting Stockport and Manchester in both directions
    3. 11/9 1V33 started Wilmslow 06:47 for Cardiff omitting Manchester and Stockport
    So that's not "extremely unreliable" if it's representative of the usual service over a week.

However I do sense the service is prone to unreliability, and the long Newport-Crewe section does seem to get its number of disruptions which I see at Wilmslow as late, cancelled or terminated trains.

Today, 13/9, there are significant problems caused by a points failure in Manchester but these affect all services and not just the TfW ones.