• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzzy

Hi Guys,
I need your advice to find out the cheapest one way option for Manchester to London.

Travel Date: Sunday, 1st April

Travel Time: Anytime

Rail Card: 16-25

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
If you don't mind tying yourself to a specific train, there is a £21.45 Advance ticket (with the Railcard discount) available on the first departure of the day from Manchester to London - the [08:05]. You won't find a cheaper price than this on Virgin for a single journey at such short notice.

SS4

Established Member
Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent
£6.25 Anytime Single
Route Virgin Trains only

Stoke-on-Trent to London Euston
£16.10
Super off peak single
Route London Midland only

That will cost you about 60-90 minutes in time though. If you've plenty of time then why not ;) 350s are more comfortable than Pendolinos in this poster's opinion

Bakerbloke

If you want to do it in the evening could get a Man to Doncaster advance for £6.60 on Transpennine express. Then get any of the advance East Coast tickets for about £25 on their own website.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forget my suggestion. The Stoke route seems the way to do it. Where does the London Midland call on its route?

londonbridge

Established Member
This fare (£21.45 Virgin advance) is also available on the 9.20 and 10.20. The OP said travel anytime,so if they can wait until the afternoon,the 14.35,14.55,15.15,15.35,16.35,17.15,17.35 and 18.15 are also available at this price.

Alternatively there is a 7.90 Virgin advance single on the 08.27 from Manchester to Birmingham (arrive 09.58) and then Super Off-peak singles are available from there to London on London Midland at 14 minutes past each hour for 13.15. This journey would,of course,be much slower and only 40p cheaper.

SS4

Established Member
Forget my suggestion. The Stoke route seems the way to do it. Where does the London Midland call on its route?

All shacks. It takes about three hours

Code:
Stone (Staffs)
Stafford
Rugeley Trent Valley
Lichfield Trent Valley
Tamworth
Atherstone (Warks)
Nuneaton
Rugby
Long Buckby
Northampton
Milton Keynes Central
Leighton Buzzard
Watford Junction
London Euston

uzzy

Thanks Guys. I will go for virgin service , £21.45. All Sorted:)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This journey would,of course,be much slower and only 40p cheaper.
Which is why I am always reluctant to answer when a request is made for the cheapest option or the cheapest combination of tickets. I am happy to point people in the right direction if they want tips, but the risk with going for the absolute cheapest, is that it isn't actually good value. But, of course, value is subjective!

I do feel that we must stress to anyone considering such a journey, is that the suggestion provided by SS4 which is likely to be the cheapest reasonable combination of walk-up tickets, allowing immediate travel. This is very different to the Advance ticket option which has to be bought at least a day in advance, is quota controlled (and can sell out), is non-refundable and any changes to travel plans before departure incurs a £10 fee (plus any difference in fare) and if the booked service is missed, the ticket has no value.

Status
Not open for further replies.