• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Macclesfield Sunday 10 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonic

Hello,
My friend may be travelling from Manchester Piccadilly to Macclesfield one way, on Sunday 10 July. However, there are engineering works until mid-afternoon with various rail replacement bus options listed in the journey planners including (but probably not limited to):
a) Train to Wilmslow then bus to Macclesfield
b) Bus to Stockport then bus to Macclesfield
c) Direct bus to Macclesfield

The cheapest single ticket from Manchester to Macclesfield is the Off Peak Day Single for £3.40 valid on Virgin Trains Only. My question is, is this ticket valid on the rail replacement bus services? The East Coast journey planner says no and there doesn't seem to be a connection that is only operated by 'Virgin Trains' buses (as opposed to CrossCountry/Northern buses), but as the buses are replacing Virgin Trains services among others, is the ticket valid?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I should imagine you'll be fine :) - it is very unusual that tickets are checked at all on rail replacement services, and even if they are, they're usually accommodating of other operators' tickets, so long as they're valid at the date/time of travel.

Established Member
Yes, it's valid. Where disruption occurs, the operators carry each others passengers.

Fair to say the amount of times Virgin and other companies have ended up rescuing stranded XC passengers is unbeleivably more than the other way round.

I can vouch for that :)
I think you'll find its the other way.
When VT decide to cancel one of theirs, its usually XC or Northern who are dumped on by Stoke, Macc and Stockport stations. VT don't bother ringing either control to ask if the other two will carry their pax, just shove them on board. Yet when the boot is on the other foot, they are the first to cry foul.
Not to mention the VT only tickets that are being sold for other operators services....<(

Status
Not open for further replies.