• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I suppose the one downside of that is the climate is quite different between Iceland and the USA so you'll need to take a greater variety of clothing with you.

Iceland weather is not too bad if you are only there for a day or so. If it's cold there it will be cold in the US as well. The weather in August last year was broadly similar to Europe. Wouldn't worry about it.

To the OP: just check Skyscanner or similar. I wouldn't check an individual airline, they all offer pretty much the same product.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We also have a National Minimum Wage

So does the US, and indeed it's had one longer than us. Surprising but true.

Anyway back to the OP's question, I really recommend New York. I expected it to be dirty, unfriendly and aggressive - it was none of those things. Much more civilised than London, yet busy and interesting.

Particular suggestion - even if the weather is cloudy still go up one of the tall buildings e.g. the Empire State or Rockefeller. I did the former, near enough had it to myself, and the experience was surreal, particularly with the city sounds from below and the very occasional gap in the clouds.

NY Yankee

I'm not going to keep rehashing the same points. I already stated why a tourist should think twice about visiting New York (I've lived their my entire life; hopefully that changes soon).

Anyone who thinks that New York is civilised should take a walk in East New York...

miami

Established Member
I'm not going to keep rehashing the same points. I already stated why a tourist should think twice about visiting New York (I've lived their my entire life; hopefully that changes soon).

Anyone who thinks that New York is civilised should take a walk in East New York...

But tourists don't. They land at JFK, pay $45 (+toll + tip :roll:) to a hotel in Manhattan somewhere below central park, then pootle around on the subway south of about 79th (top of central park?) down to Battery park. They see the tourist sites, Times Square, Empire State, Wall Street, Central Park, Circle Line Ferrys, etc. They may get the staten island ferry, they may walk over the brooklyn bridge.

Once night falls it's taxi to broadway and back, or a local manhattan eatery, then back to the hotel.

Unlikely to go anywhere near the Bronx or upper Manhattan unless it's for a Yankees game, just as London tourists are unlikely to go to Lewisham or Walthamstow.

radamfi

Established Member
It is entirely possible for somewhere to be an interesting place to visit, but not a great place to live.

Established Member
I apologise for going off-topic (I don't want to be accused of posting gibberish), but the quality of life in Western Europe is A LOT better than that of the US.

In America, blacks are treated like second class citizens. Due to systematic racism, they live in the worst areas and attend the worst schools. A disproportionate amount of blacks are incarcerated (and America has the highest amount of prisoners in the world, larger than Saudi Arabia, China, and North Korea). In the UK, blacks and whites are equal. Half of the blacks in the UK from the West Indies are married to whites. Blacks and whites have roughly the same level of education and make the same amount of money.

In most American cities, people get shot at, stabbed, murdered, rape, etc. Yesterday, a guy riding the 2 train in the Bronx was slashed in the face. That would never happen in a Western European city.

In America, many people are homeless. In the UK and other Western European countries, there's a social safety net. Even people in poverty can afford housing and food

The healthcare system in Western Europe is better. There's free healthcare and they don't charge a ridiculous price for medicine.

Women in Western European countries are more attractive and less shallow than women in America.

America started the crisis in Iraq

Yes, there are interesting cities in America (NY, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, San Francisco). There are also other attractions like the Kennedy Space Center, Hollywood, and Universal Studios. Nevertheless, I don't understand why a person from the greatest country in the world would want to visit an inferior country. There are so many beautiful cities in the world (Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver). I would visit those cities in lieu of any city in America.

While some of what you say is true the UK isn't a utopia and there are homeless people in the UK, why shouldn't British people want to visit the US whether they would want to live there might be another matter, an immediate appeal of the US is the fact you speak the same language well more or less, while in Europe even if quite a lot of Europeans can speak English many do not and it can be hard work sometimes which you don't really need when your on holiday.

I had one trip to America so far, a week in Florida seeing the Kennedy space centre and Rocket launch, Alligators in the everglades etc, then a trip on Amtrak to Washington DC and then on to New York loved it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.