• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester To Scotland Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
If TPE franchise gets merged with Northern in 2014 what is the likely recipitent of the above route and also the Edinburgh - Liverpool potential route if it ever happens??

XC or ICWC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Looks like it will remain with Northern, as the sample timetable separate from West Coast Trains

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Would be better given to the ScotRail franchise. ScotRail should also look to run fast services from Edinburgh & Glasgow via the S&C to Manchester, Bradford, & Leeds with some of the displaced diesels after the North West electrification.

A semi-fast Edinburgh - Newcastle would also be beneficial esp with a clockface stopping pattern for East Lothian, the Borders, & Northumberland.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Would be better given to the ScotRail franchise. ScotRail should also look to run fast services from Edinburgh & Glasgow via the S&C to Manchester, Bradford, & Leeds with some of the displaced diesels after the North West electrification.
What displaced diesels? :| All the TPE 185s are being redistributed within the Transpennine franchise, strengthening services that actually cross the Pennines, and all of the Northern units released from the North West electrification are going to be used for strengthening other services.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

A semi-fast Edinburgh - Newcastle would also be beneficial esp with a clockface stopping pattern for East Lothian, the Borders, & Northumberland.

What displaced diesels? :| All the TPE 185s are being redistributed within the Transpennine franchise, strengthening services that actually cross the Pennines, and all of the Northern units released from the North West electrification are going to be used for strengthening other services.

To be fair it's wishful thinking on my part. I'd quite like some quality Link 1 work in my diagrams for a change! The S&C was built as a fast Anglo-Scottish express route and I feel strongly that we don't use it to its full potential - I will start another thread on this anon..............

WatcherZero

Established Member
I believe it will most likely remain with Northern but if it was hived off going back to Cross Country makes the most sense, while it was given to TPE in the first place as it was a non core route that they had to keep drivers for the frequency has doubled since then and theres room for other services such as Liverpool.

317 forever

Established Member
I have heard rumours that it would transfer to West Coast, as they run other routes from Preston to Scotland both originating from London and Birmingham.

dk1

Veteran Member
I have heard rumours that it would transfer to West Coast, as they run other routes from Preston to Scotland both originating from London and Birmingham.

This sounds the sensible option. Time services correctly & it would be possible to alternate between Glasgow/Edinburgh on the opposite hour to the Birmingham-Scotland.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Whatever happened to Renaissance Trains (those behind Hull Trains / WSMR) wanting to start an OA service between Nottingham and Glasgow and Liverpool and Glasgow?

Their website hasn't been updated for at least three years, so I assume it might be dead in the water?

GNERman

Established Member
Whatever happened to Renaissance Trains (those behind Hull Trains / WSMR) wanting to start an OA service between Nottingham and Glasgow and Liverpool and Glasgow?

Their website hasn't been updated for at least three years, so I assume it might be dead in the water?

TBF we haven't heard anything from them since the demise of WSMR.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Liverpool-Glasgow they were told to wait until the north WCML recast before ORR would know if there were avalable paths. I forget at the moment when its due though, 2013 or 2014.

The Government also quietly inserted small print into the HLOS statement to the rail industry and regulators that the OAO's wont like though, basically instructed a clause to be added that whenever a application was reviewed that might have negative impacts on other franchises and therefore increased subsidy that ORR now has to consult the Government first before ruling. In practises its the creation of a ministerial veto on Open Access Operator applications.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
What would the rolling stock requirement be as surely something that tilts would be a better long term solution than class 350s
Rail Magazine quoted Alstom looking to offer shorter pendolinos for regional work in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.