• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Stafford and Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

wijit

Good morning guys and girls.
We are going to a couple of things in August (25/26th ). We need to go to Stafford for a few hours on the Saturday going down, then onto Birmingham and returning on the Sunday. I'll admit to not being the sharpest knife in the kitchen when it comes to finding fares at the best of times, but this has me a bit messed up.
If I book returns to Birmingham, it seems to be cheaper than booking to Stafford even without the onward fare to Birmingham, but as I understand it we can't get off at Stafford?
Could anyone advise me of the most cost efficient way to do this please?
Obviously, if I missed something out, please just give me a nudge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi wijit, can you just advise us how many people this is for and whether railcards are held? This could impact upon the price.

wijit

Typical of me to leave out what is fairly essential information, sorry!
There are two adults and one child, we have a family railcard.

SS4

Established Member
Good morning guys and girls.
We are going to a couple of things in August (25/26th ). We need to go to Stafford for a few hours on the Saturday going down, then onto Birmingham and returning on the Sunday. I'll admit to not being the sharpest knife in the kitchen when it comes to finding fares at the best of times, but this has me a bit messed up.
If I book returns to Birmingham, it seems to be cheaper than booking to Stafford even without the onward fare to Birmingham, but as I understand it we can't get off at Stafford?
Could anyone advise me of the most cost efficient way to do this please?
Obviously, if I missed something out, please just give me a nudge.

A Manchester to Birmingham Off-Peak Return is £49.65 for the three of you and has restriction code 2V which allows break of journey on the outward portion so you can break at Stafford.

Someone may well come up with a better fare and I'll keep looking but IMO you'd be looking for something allowing Break of Journey on the outward portion
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you want Advance tickets I suggest getting three of them:
  • Manchester to Stafford (Sat)
  • Stafford to Birmingham (Sat)
  • Birmingham to Manchester (Sun)

Checking the London Midland site I've found some for £12.10, £6.40 and £23.45 respectively for each leg making a total of £41.95 - it is your decision whether this ~£8 saving is worth the loss of flexibility

sonic2009

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly - Stoke-On-Trent OFF PEAK R (2V) ADULT : £9.75 CHILD : £2.80

Stoke-On-Trent - Birmingham New Street OFF PEAK R (2V) ADULT : £10.50 CHILD : £3.05

Perfectly fine on the Stoke - Birmingham ticket to BOJ at Stafford for a few hours.

Total cost : £46.35 for 2 adults 1 child

wijit

Blimey, that's impressive searching! Thank you very much for this, I appreciate your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.