• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Victoria British Rail Staff association club

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

I found this link on YouTube featuring the now closed Manchester Victoria British Rail staff association club. Do any members remember this when it was running?

Did it close when BR ceased to be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I went in the late 80s a couple of times, they had acts on at the weekends.

Carlisle

Established Member
Did it close when BR ceased to be?
I visited in the early 1990s & it was still open then.

I recall BR began disposing of the clubs a few years prior to its end , they claimed they no longer wished to be in the business of providing staff with licensed drinking facilities.

The clubs underneath stations will mostly have closed soon after that, whereas some others in separate & more accessible buildings became independent & remain to this day

Last edited:

CW2

Established Member
I worked in Manchester Victoria station buffet during the summer of 1979, so I enrolled as a member of the BRSA and visited the club on a few occasions. It was a busy thriving place, especially with the traincrews coming in to work the numerous newspaper trains which radiated across the country from Manchester in the wee small hours of the morning. (The attitude towards drinking before duty or drinking on duty was very different in those days).

Status
Not open for further replies.