• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Victoria to Harrogate, return via York.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Sheep

Morning all :)

I'm visiting Harrogate this afternoon, departing Manchester Victoria. I have a off-peak day return.

I'm heading out via Leeds, but would like to know if I can return via York with a break of journey there?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
I don't think this is possible. You'd need a £28.60 offpeak day return to e.g. Cattal or York.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you visit a booking office before travel commences, or speak to a guard before you reach Harrogate, you could ask for an overdistance excess (to York). This will require you to pay the difference between MCV-HGT and MCV-YRK, so £5.40.

Note that:
  • there is no automatic entitlement to this excess
  • it is not available once you reach Harrogate
  • there is an argument that you must travel via Harrogate on the return, but I do not subscribe to that line of reasoning
  • TPE guards regularly advise passengers to change at York for Harrogate, and there's a chance that Harrogate station staff will give you an itinerary via York for the return if asked, even without the excess

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.