• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manisty Wharf, Ellesmere Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillGray25

Hi,

Just a quick question as after much research I can't seem to find an answer, do any freight trains still visit the wharf or not anymore. The tracks always seem to be clear as if trains do visit but I've never seen one whilst walking the dog

Kind regards

Will:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
Hi,

Just a quick question as after much research I can't seem to find an answer, do any freight trains still visit the wharf or not anymore. The tracks always seem to be clear as if trains do visit but I've never seen one whilst walking the dog

Kind regards

Will:)

3 trainloads of sand from Kings Lynn for Quinn Glass use that branch each week but I am not sure if they actually go onto the wharf itself.

najaB

Veteran Member
This video is from 2012, but it's quite good. Interesting seeing what looks like treadle operated level crossing signals.

[youtube]1hxFqa6SdG8[/youtube]

8A Rail

Established Member
In theory this is the weekly plan but don't go onto the Wharf itself, as the trains go in the opposite direction (the ex Cawoods Terminal).
6F92 (SunO) 2313 Arpley Sidings to Ellesmere Port (arr 2356)
6F92 (MO) 0532 Ellesmere Port to Arpley Sidings (arr 0551)
6M88 (TThO) 1435 Middleton Towers to Ellesmere Port (arr 2332)
6F92 (WFO) 0605 Ellesmere Port to Arpley Sidings (arr 0701)

However, get them while you can as this service will be transferred to the new sidings currently being completed near to West Cheshire Junction. The actual sidings are already laid so I assume finishing off other remedial work?

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
I believe that its the new wagons that are the hold up. The current sand trains are box wagons and require grab unloading. The services into the new sidings at West Cheshire Jnc will be bottom discharge hoppers. Not sure what kind though.

That is good to know.

Hopefully the new wagons will be rather less prone to sand blowing out of them on dry days. The present box wagons must arrive weighing a tonne or two less (per train) than when they set off!

furnessvale

Established Member
Although it looks impressive, the sand that blows off isn't actually a lot. Next time you see the wagons (if its daylight), look carefully at the top edges and top foot or so of the body side. The sand is coated with some kind of waxy stuff that is supposed to stop the product from being lost. You can see the coating on the top edges and top sides of the wagons.

I did wonder if they coated the load. Even so, having seen the train at speed at various WCML locations, I would not like to be waiting for a train at, say Tamworth, when it "blows" through on a hot dry day!

montyburns56

The sand is unloaded on the running line that goes to the ex-Cawoods sidings. I visited the site a few weeks ago and though I didn't see the train you can see where the sand is unloaded from these photos.

Attachments

• dscf0275b.jpg
    dscf0275b.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 72
  • dscf0272b.jpg
    dscf0272b.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 65
  • dscf0269b.jpg
    dscf0269b.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 64
  • dscf0262b.jpg
    dscf0262b.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 66

WillGray25

Cheers for the info guys, nipped round on my way home from work. Great to see ????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.