• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Map AS - odd chord

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've been looking at some of the Routeing Guide maps, particularly the spaghetti junction that is AS. Looking in the Doncaster area, I see a route from Doncaster to Leeds, avoiding Ardwick, Swinton and York. I can't find this route in NR's timetable map, NRE, or satellite imagery. Can anyone help me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
Ardwick is Manchester, they must have meant Adwick - that doesn't inspire confidence.

I can see possible routes on Google Earth - North from Doncaster then through Knottingley, or near Hambleton.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On the route through Knottingley....
Trains still pass the site (as the line is still open for freight traffic and the occasional diverted passenger train), although there is no station at Askern today.
..and on the other route;
although the line I was looking at bypasses Selby; you can make the journey via Selby, avoiding Adwick, Swinton and York

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Thanks for those. The Hambleton chord looks like to be the one on the map, as that Doncaster-Leeds route joins the York-Leeds route near where the York-Swinton route diverges: Sherburn In Elmet.

John @ home

Established Member
The Hambleton chord looks like to be the one on the map
Agreed, that's the one. Passenger Train Services over Unusual Lines http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/2009.htm indicates the current service over the chord is:
PSUL said:
Hambleton South Junction - West Junction (31) YA
0744 SO Harrogate - King's Cross
Leeds - London services using this route can usually be spotted in the timetable by the lack of a Wakefield Westgate stop.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.