• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maradona dies aged 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
People more recently would concentrate on his off the field issues but he was still arguably one of the greatest players to grace the game, if not the greatest.

I went to see England v Argentina in 1991 at the old Wembley, unfortunately Maradona was on somewhat of a sabbatical from the national team so never got the chance to see him play.

It's 15 years to the day since George Best passed as well, i'd imagine there is some party up there tonight.

Football legend Diego Maradona has died at the age of 60.

The former Argentina attacking midfielder and manager had successful surgery on a brain blood clot earlier in November.
It was then announced he was to be treated for alcohol dependency.

One of the greatest players of all time, Maradona was captain when Argentina won the 1986 World Cup, producing a series of sublime individual performances.

He played for Barcelona and Napoli during his club career, winning two Serie A titles with the Italian side.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
People more recently would concentrate on his off the field issues but he was still arguably one of the greatest players to grace the game, if not the greatest.

I went to see England v Argentina in 1991 at the old Wembley, unfortunately Maradona was on somewhat of a sabbatical from the national team so never got the chance to see him play.

It's 15 years to the day since George Best passed as well, i'd imagine there is some party up there tonight.

Well said. There’s no denying the talent even we can’t ever forgive him for that moment.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The really depressing thing is the other goal Maradona scored in that game was one of the greatest goals ever, but noone remembers it because of the Hand of God controversy.

jtuk

Unbelievable, incredible talent who carried so many teams to glory given just how far he was ahead of everyone else in his prime. RIP

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The really depressing thing is the other goal Maradona scored in that game was one of the greatest goals ever, but noone remembers it because of the Hand of God controversy.

That "Hand of God" goal might have been disallowed if we had had VAR then. Could have changed the course of that competition. You were a great player, RIP

Last edited:

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Sad news to the sporting world. A fantastic footballer in his day.

Can't believe George Best has been gone 15 years!!!!

CJ

scotrail158713

Established Member
Sad news. I’m only basing it on footage I’ve seen, but he seemed to be a fantastic player.
(Especially the Hand of God :p)

Butts

Veteran Member
Sad news to the sporting world. A fantastic footballer in his day.

Can't believe George Best has been gone 15 years!!!!

CJ

Just Pele left, with Best, Cruyff and now Maradona gone !!

Controversially I would say Cruyff was the best of the four (Nothing to do with him being a chain smoker either :E )

al78

Established Member

Peter Shilton is still bitter over that and the fact he never apologised for it. Get over it and move on, half a century is too long to be holding onto resentment.

westv

Established Member
Peter Shilton is still bitter over that and the fact he never apologised for it. Get over it and move on, half a century is too long to be holding onto resentment.
Are you Scottish? :D

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'm sorry he"s died, but I very much doubt I'll be loosing any sleep over it.

He was a top class Footballer, but certainly not a role model for the sport.

On Moderation
Perhaps Shilton should have made a better effort to collect the ball, then. If he’d dominated the situation (as a 6ft goalkeeper should against a 5’5” player) rather than going for a half-hearted, limp flap at it, then we’d likely not be talking about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.