• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mark 4 PIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi. I was at Kings X two weeks ago and I saw an InterCity 225 come in. I was on a different platform at the time but I have good eyesight and managed to spot little modern Passenger Information Screens like those fitted to the HT 180s! Is this being rolled out to all of the Mark 4 Carriages then?

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi. I was at Kings X two weeks ago and I saw an InterCity 225 come in. I was on a different platform at the time but I have good eyesight and managed to spot little modern Passenger Information Screens like those fitted to the HT 180s! Is this being rolled out to all of the Mark 4 Carriages then?

They are on 1 set, been trialled for about a year now. Shows weather, progress of journey, TFL update and news headlines.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Presumably the ones VTEC were planning to retain after the IEP introduction.

DanNCL

Established Member
The set I was on on Monday had these screens. As well as showing journey progress, weather, TFL service update and the news, I think I also saw an advert for the Class 800s (or Azumas as VTEC call them) on those screens.

DanNCL

Established Member
Couldn't find the images. I thought that I'd seen them on VTEC's twitter feed but I can't find them there now. Sorry!

D365

Veteran Member
If it’s any help, if any of you have logged into the onboard WiFi, the screens show basically the same information as that. Next stops and expected arrival times.

dorsetdesiro

Good news this is being rolled out, very useful to get real time information this way though we probably will see blank screens whenever there's a problem with the connection, hopefully this would not be too often.

I remember travelling on a OBB Railjet train between Vienna & Budapest, there were similiar screens which I thought were quite hi-tech and this was 8 years ago.

It's great our railways are catching up with these screens getting installed in more trains, definitely better than the current basic looking LED pixel single line scrolling displays which can be unreliable on SWR Desiros that sometimes the text gets broken up or the whole message split into two parts with a long pause in between!

James James

Good news this is being rolled out, very useful to get real time information this way though we probably will see blank screens whenever there's a problem with the connection, hopefully this would not be too often.

I remember travelling on a OBB Railjet train between Vienna & Budapest, there were similiar screens which I thought were quite hi-tech and this was 8 years ago.

It's great our railways are catching up with these screens getting installed in more trains, definitely better than the current basic looking LED pixel single line scrolling displays which can be unreliable on SWR Desiros that sometimes the text gets broken up or the whole message split into two parts with a long pause in between!
Same in Switzerland. All the new trains have had similar displays for years (they also show all the platforms for connecting options, in addition to buses - they don't do the UK thing of hiding platforms until last minute...). The eternally delayed Bombardier Twindexx supposedly even has a moving map, although that's not all that useful, merely interesting.

I must say though, news headlines are the last thing I'd want to see on these displays though. It's fine to do that if they have a second display, but no thanks if it's the only screen - I don't want to have to keep staring at the screen until I get the right moment to see stations/times, that should be available immediately.

On Moderation
Same in Switzerland. All the new trains have had similar displays for years (they also show all the platforms for connecting options, in addition to buses - they don't do the UK thing of hiding platforms until last minute...). The eternally delayed Bombardier Twindexx supposedly even has a moving map, although that's not all that useful, merely interesting.
The Zürich S-bahn Class 450 powered double-deck sets have had the screens for some time, as well. Did a railtour over there a few years back and the screen even showed platform information for that.

dorsetdesiro

I must say though, news headlines are the last thing I'd want to see on these displays though. It's fine to do that if they have a second display, but no thanks if it's the only screen - I don't want to have to keep staring at the screen until I get the right moment to see stations/times, that should be available immediately.

Hopefully they'll put the news headlines on a thin scrolling bar at bottom of screen like on the BBC News or Sky News channels so you won't need to keep staring until the info, you were looking for, comes up.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hopefully they'll put the news headlines on a thin scrolling bar at bottom of screen like on the BBC News or Sky News channels so you won't need to keep staring until the info, you were looking for, comes up.

Scrolling messages are often set so slow they get really frustrating to read.

dorsetdesiro

Slightly moving away however still on the subject of PISs,

Our station platform displays, compared to those in Germany & Austria, just like the single line scrolling displays inside trains seem outdated which there may possibly be an upgrade in the coming years by switching to colour LCD screens similar to the old hooded TV style we had before?

The German DB screens are longer in size and in colour, however white text on blue background, also sharper in detail than our pixel LED scrolling screens which can appear blurry at night or bad weather that you'd need to get closer to see properly.

I can recall seeing the current LED scrolling screens, years ago, at FGW (now GWR) and Connex (Southern & Southeastern) stations before these first appearing on the SWT network where the hooded TV style screens were still in use.

When the old TV style screens on SWT were replaced, probably around at turn of millennium, I do remember how different the new displays looked compared to those used by FGW & Connex such as the text style and the operator's name coming first instead of last. FGW screens would show first the station names called at then "First Great Western" in brackets which SWT screens would show "South West Trains service (now SWR service) calling at" then the station names.

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
It isn't hard to do stuff like that, we have PIS on buses which have BBC news scrolling on the bottom.

jon0844

Veteran Member
St Pancras has the white text on blue screens and they're not great for when you need to page through text (and you can't have anything scrolling).

Infotec now have a range of displays that allow more information, including LCD screens and LED displays that can be in different colours such as white.

londonmidland

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street, Didcot Parkway and West Hampstead Thameslink have one or two white LED displays with higher pixel density than the standard displays and also smooth scrolling and animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.