Market Harborough Station Upgrade

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Flying Phil, 1 Aug 2017.

1. martinr1

martinr1 Member

I was good to see the new arrangements yesterday and congratulations are due to everyone involved in handing back the station on schedule.

2. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Established Member

Thanks for the video Martin.

3. Flying Phil

Today work is continuing on building the foundations for the South end of Platform 2, and at the North end they are building a ramp for wheelchair access from the (to be extended) car park. They are also tidying up the site and separating the mixed hardcore into "lumpy" and "dusty". DSCF6755.JPG DSCF6756.JPG

4. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Your first picture suggests it won’t take too long to do the platform. I’d expect that will be in use long before the expanded carpark.

5. Flying Phil

I think it will be completed in the next 4 - 6 weeks and the car park by December in the plan.

6. Gus

Gus Member

How long will it be before the 50mph TSR can be removed?

7. Legolash2o

Legolash2o Member

Didn't Market Harborough have a siding at the station? Can't see it in the pics.

8. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

I don't think it did

9. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Depends on when the next available block for the follow up tamps is I expect.

10. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

I don't know how it'd been 'rationalised' in the past 25 years, but it had much more than 'a siding' originally. Well into the 70s the LNWR side was still largely extant, with a water tower which used to double as a small engine shed, for example.
    It's difficult to judge from the videos, but it looks to me as if the new alignment runs over where the shed and sidings (and links to the Midland side) used to be.

I'm sure this is a 'recent' PSR, that is to say, post- introduction of HSTs. In steam-Peak days, I'm pretty sure it was 50 or 55 mph. Mr Senex...where are you when needed?

11. swt_passenger

There were short sidings on the up side, accessed from south of the station; early photos in this thread (eg post 41) record them being lifted prior to the main works starting.

12. Kettledrum

Kettledrum Member

...and the old Goods Shed too that was only demolished as part of these works. It's amazing it lasted as long as it did really.

13. Gus

Gus Member

There were sidings on the upside where the new car park is, this included cattle pens. The pick up to Wellingborough used to drop off cattle at Harborough, sometimes the pick up could not leave Leicester on time as the cattle were late arriving on 7F26 from Stoke/Crewe/North Wales/ Ireland?

14. DanDaDriver

DanDaDriver Member

I remember being told that the abutments just north of the station were for a bridge that used to take cattle over the line.

15. Senex

Senex Established Member

It was 40 in Midland Railway days, but by Peak days it had already become 50 — indeed, it was 50 by the time the first full set of BR Appendixes were issued in 1960. I suspect that change actually came in LMS days. The rise to 60 was in the 1980s and I think came at the same time as Wigston from 70 to 80, Great Bowden from 70 to 85 and so on when the enhanced curving rules were applied to the Midland line.

16. mr_jrt

mr_jrt Member

AFAIK, there was an engineer's siding where the car park now is, which is why the bridge to the south is wide enough for three tracks - and there were still three until recently. Do hope the car park developments don't preclude any hope of an additional platform or two in the future...

17. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

I seem to recall, probably from someone on here, that the two sidings recently put in at Knighton were for engineering vehicles, as a replacement for those at Market Harborough.

The car park is planned to come right up to the back of the new Up platform, pretty much as it did with the old one. More new platforms would be difficult because the ones now in use will extend almost to the road bridge so any diverging tracks would need that bridge to be widened, points on the curve, and perhaps also partial demolition of the station building. No trains are scheduled to terminate, and the crossovers allow them to do so if there is ever a need, so there's no real reaon for more platforms.

18. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Established Member

Why would it need more platforms?

Indeed. No need at all. The service would need to at least double before platform capacity at Harboro became an issue, and there would be plenty of other constraints on the line to solve before that.

19. mr_jrt

mr_jrt Member

Re: platforms I'm talking in the long-term, not any time soon. It's been discussed to death before why loops probably wouldn't be worth it, but if any eventual 3 or 4 tracking between Leicester and Kettering were to happen it'd be nice not to have to worry about a shiny new bottleneck, that's all.

20. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

If extra loops were needed then there are several former loop sites, and if those weren't suitable there are rural sections where the formation could be widened. If four-tracking end to end it would be better to build an entirely new set of fast lines which would avoid Market Harborough and other built-up areas completely.

21. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

There are 4 tracks already....it's just that 2 of them happen to go via Corby.

22. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

But via Corby is a huge detour, so not really that usable

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Established Member

It wouldn't necessarily be passenger services diverted that way. Really I can't see the need for quadrupling Kettering to Wigston North Jn, reinstating the 4th line between Kettering and Sharnbrook and improving headways via Corby and Manton Jn would be of much greater use.

24. DanDaDriver

DanDaDriver Member

The fourth line is being reinstated.

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Established Member

I thought I'd seen that, but with the changes of plan re electrification, let alone all the rumours and speculation knocking about, I couldn't be sure.

26. adamedwards

adamedwards Member

There are of course 2 new fast lines due to open in 2033 by passing Market Harborough and indeed Leicester.

27. swt_passenger

Most of the recent photos of the current four tracking work are in the MML electrification thread. That should reassure you that it is happening:
    https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/mml-electrification.110445/page-94

28. Senex

Senex Established Member

... and indeed Derby and Nottingham too!

29. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Indeed, so the MML will still need the same mix of fast and semi-fast trains to provide service to Leicester (and arguably to Derby/Nottingham) that don't benefit from HS2. However with most of the Sheffield and some of the Derby/Nottingham passengers off the MML there shouldn't be any need to increase service significantly (even if constraints south of Bedford allowed it) and therefore no real reason to consider four-tracking.

30. InTheEastMids

InTheEastMids Member

Yes, this historic map gives a flavour of the layout when this bridge was in use
    https://slu3a.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/RE-32.jpg

Re: platforms. The only circumstances where more platforms might be neededv are probably if HS2 is canned, other MML capacity schemes are done, there's high passenger growth and maybe there's reopening of stations like Kibworth & Desborough and new stopping services... ie very, very unlikely

And a good point that post-HS2 there will still be pressure for fast services from Leicester, to keep the economy competitive with better-served cities in the Midlands