• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Market Harborough Station Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are bikes at the front of the station less prone to being stolen than in the car park? Would the vehicle access to the car park be safe for cyclists?

The re-opening of the subway, whenever that happens, shortens the route from the front of the station to the London platform. It's not step-free but most cyclists should be able to climb a flight of stairs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
No dramatic changes yesterday, the platform is not yet open and preparation work is continuing on the car park. There are still lots of drainage channels to be laid. There are now railings on the ramp at the North end of platfom 2 (Southbound).
Incidentally the timekeeping on my 9.11 am train to Loughborough was spot on to the second! Most impressive, particularly as it followed the previous day's massive disruption elsewhere.

Flying Phil

Established Member
DSCF6949.JPG A lot more car park work on-going with several big yellow machines and lots of scurrying yellow suited workers.
The platform is still not open..... awaiting the PIS display panel?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just looking back to the first photo in post #507, it looks as though they haven’t laid out that section in accordance with the planning drawings. The stretch between the south end of the platform and the footbridge is shown on the planning drawings as being parking bays for blue badge holders, with a bike storage unit as well, right up against the rear of the platform. The tarmac path (that presumably continues the one from the far end of the down platform) appears to be a change.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Phil, those yellow suits look orange to me. Thanks for the great photos.
You are quite correct Howard :oops: .....there are three possible reasons:-
1 A "senior moment"
2 A chromatic aberration.
3 I was running a check to see who was paying attention. :E

Flying Phil

Established Member
The platform now has the information screen but there is still a temporary barrier across the opening in the back fence between the lift and first passenger shelter. I assume there is to be a gate across there for some reason, however that seems to be the only reason for the platform not to be in use.
There is some work being done in the subway entrance and that is still closed off. The small car park area by the lift is nearly levelled and is awaiting tarmac, the large car park needs the level building up, most of the drainage and service channels have been done and covered.DSCF6967.JPG DSCF6968.JPG DSCF6969.JPG

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are now gates in the back fence on the platform. The PIS screen is not yet "live" and the platform is still not in use....There is no tarmac yet on the new car park areas and there are more piles of earth and hardcore being moved around.
It was nice to see that the EMT logo has already been replaced by the EMR branding on the class 22 that was going North.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
I am surprised that the car park area is having so much time and money spent on it. The foundations must be about 60cm deep on average , then there will be another 10 cm of tarmac. It has a comprehensive drainage system, full lighting and edged walkways. As half of the previous car park was just on compacted rubble where the old sidings had been, we are not used to such luxury!

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
The footpath from the car park has now been re routed round the edge, so the new part can be completed "all in one". The new platform is still blocked out of use.......

Flying Phil

Established Member
The car park is now ready to be tarmaced and the end of the platform is still out of use...The PIS display is not yet "live".

InTheEastMids

According to the MML Upgrade website, trains from the North will be turned back at Market Harborough on Saturday 12th October due to engineering work further South.

Well this be the first time the new crossing at Harborough will be used for this purpose?

sharpley

According to the MML Upgrade website, trains from the North will be turned back at Market Harborough on Saturday 12th October due to engineering work further South.

Well this be the first time the new crossing at Harborough will be used for this purpose?
If the southbound platform is still half open in October, I guess they will crossover and terminate on the northbound platform.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Southbound platform still not open and some thick electrical cables were being fed through the buried duct pipes. The car park has had another layer of hardcore laid.DSCF7075 small.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Still more hardcore has been laid in the car park.....but they are expecting tarmac next week! The platform is still not fully open, there is some problem with getting the subway shelter roof finished, a NR responsibility - reputedly.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The first of three layers of tarmac is going down today, they hope to complete next month. The platform is still not fully open. 20191001_134931 (2).jpg

Flying Phil

Established Member
First layer of tarmac completed and half of the second layer laid. When the tarmac is finished, there are the lights to erect, white lines, edging work and various railings to install. I assume the ticket machines will stay where they are and be in the middle of the car park.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Tarmac laying now finished in the car park and all the lighting stanchions are up, but no lamp units fitted. They hope to be finished at the end of the month.
There is no progress with the subway entrance and so the Southbound platform is still only half open....

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is no progress with the subway entrance and so the Southbound platform is still only half open....
I had a sneaking suspicion about this a while back - modifying the subway must have seemed straightforward at the design stage, just another couple of concrete steps and a tweak to the roof in principle; so I wonder what’s proved so difficult in the reality?

Flying Phil

Established Member
An interesting weekend at Market Harborough "Junction", as all Southbound trains terminate here! There is a line closure between Harborough and Bedford for the electrification work with Bus Replacement services.
Anyway, our new crossovers to the North of the platforms are in use, to put Southbound trains across and into platform 1 and, if services overlap, then the Platform 2(Southbound) is also used and the train departs to cross over and go onto the Northbound line.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
An interesting weekend at Market Harborough "Junction", as all Southbound trains terminate here! There is a line closure between Harborough and Bedford for the electrification work with Bus Replacement services.
Anyway, our new crossovers to the North of the platforms are in use, to put Southbound trains across and into platform 1 and, if services overlap, then the Platform 2(Southbound) is also used and the train departs to cross over and go onto the Northbound line.
Have any full-length trains used the shorter platform? If so how did they cope with getting everyone out and then positioning the train clear of the crossovers for its return journey?

59CosG95

Established Member
Not just electrification; I paid a visit to that stretch of line today, and lots of it was with resignalling - pouring new foundations for new gantries at the south end of Kettering, erecting a new gantry in Wellingborough etc.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Have any full-length trains used the shorter platform? If so how did they cope with getting everyone out and then positioning the train clear of the crossovers for its return journey?
I'm afraid that I do not know, I suppose they would try to cross over from the Southbound to use the full length of the Northbound platform? It is rare that both platforms would need to be in use at the same time.

Hairy Bear

Station has a set in each platform for alot of each hour. They were timetabled for the 7 cars to use plat 1 down line only. Provision was made for any 7 car using platform 2 to use the front 5 to disembark passengers. Lock doors, draw up , change ends, reopen front 5 for the journey back north. No Hst's were in use.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Southbound platform still only half open and no sign of any work on the subway entrance....The car park is all lined and hatched....but no lamps in the posts.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Southbound platform still only half open and no sign of any work on the subway entrance....The car park is all lined and hatched....but no lamps in the posts.
Last Tuesday the closed section of platform had lights and one of the two indicators working.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are only two lamp posts missing their lights now, the rest appears to be complete?DSCF7194s.jpg

Flying Phil

Established Member
The strange situation re the subway is still un-resolved. I'm sure there must be a good reason for the delay....but it seems a straight forward job from the outside?DSCF7193s.jpg
I have just noticed that old (Midland?) lamp post behind, I hope it stays!

John Webb

Established Member
The strange situation re the subway is still un-resolved. I'm sure there must be a good reason for the delay....but it seems a straight forward job from the outside?View attachment 69736
I have just noticed that old (Midland?) lamp post behind, I hope it stays!
I suspect the (Midland?) lamp post is probably BR - I'm not aware the MR ever made tall posts unless they used telegraph posts, perhaps?
If they do want to get rid of the lamp we could use it with pleasure at St Albans South to light part of our garden!

Status
Not open for further replies.