• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Market Street to Piccadilly Gardens Manchester Metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Bumping old thread, but managed to remind myself of the buttons in a T68 cab (1023) at Crewe Heritage Centre yesterday.

IIRC, the horn/toot was usually activated by the thumb button on the handle of the Traction and Braking Controller (the mode select changed between the street and segregated horns). But there is a separate Green "Seg Horn" on the console, which suspiciously looks like a retro-fit.

Shown in attached pictures:

View attachment 104175

View attachment 104174

View attachment 104176

You are correct that the button on the TBC originally did both Street Whistle (it’s not a horn…) and segregated Horn. One of the T68M program mods was to add the green Seg Horn (this one definitely is a horn…) button to the desk, as it was felt in an emergency this would be more effective when running with traffic on the Eccles line. On the Eccles line the vehicle would be in ‘street without steps’ running mode, so the button on the TBC would sound the street whistle. After the T68M mods it was no longer possible to sound the seg horn using the TBC button, regardless of running mode.

I am very surprised that 23 still has its TMS box fitted, I would have thought that would have been recovered given they’re a) not cheap and b) no longer produced. 3121-147 have a different TMS box for the latter reason.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.