• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marketing "Line" names -- ingenious, awful, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
A rather whimsical thing which happened to drift into head prompted by thoughts about the one-time Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway -- and matters touched on, in a past "Railway History & Nostalgia" thread.

A present-day marketing ploy on the part of railway management, which I (perhaps a stuffy old so-and-so) personally dislike, finding it meretricious / tacky / naff / "cutesy-poo": with the idea of attracting passengers , branding certain -- usually rural and picturesque -- rail routes, as the "Such-and-Such" (fill in the perceivedly relevant appealing-name blank) "Line". One that comes to mind (out of many) is the "Tarka Line" for Exeter -- Barnstaple. (I have found on visits to the Barnstaple / Bideford area, the saturation appropriation-and-display there, of the name Tarka -- in many other contexts, besides the railway one -- a considerable annoyance. I've read and loved the "originating" book, set in those parts, Tarka the Otter by Henry Williamson; but the commercial flogging-to-death thereabouts of that wretched aquatic mustelid, has caused in me a very strong sentiment of -- as they say in America -- "enough already").

In the abovementioned past thread, mention was made of the very-long-closed Spean Bridge -- Fort Augustus branch line. With Fort Augustus being at the southern end of Loch Ness: I mentioned in passing, that that line's final abandonment before the advent of advertising / marketing in Britain, getting into totally crazy capers / postures / somersaults -- at least saved it from the ignominy of being marketed / branded as the "Monster Line".

It occurred to me today, that in some alternative time-line in which many highly minor British rail lines survive in service -- including passenger -- into the 21st century (whether nationalised, or private rail companies continuing, or anything in between) -- assuming that crass / vulgar / naff marketing / advertising antics are a part of that time-line -- if the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire had been in that category, there would be a horrible "brand" name tailor-made for it.

S & M's eastern terminus was Shrewsbury (Abbey) station -- close by the remains of the city's medieval abbey. Said abbey has achieved popular renown from the murder mystery series by Ellis Peters, set some eight-to-nine centuries ago; whose monk / detective hero, Brother Cadfael, is stationed at Shrewsbury Abbey. I've read and enjoyed most of the Cadfael novels -- though IMO toward the end of the series (author died in 1995) it was all getting a bit mechanistic. However -- the S & M would be marketed as the "Cadfael Line"; and, oh Lord, how utterly "cheesy" and opportunistic and irrelevant ! No railways, for the majority of a millennium after Cadfael's death, no matter what pinnacle of age and sanctity he might have achieved...

This is just me -- perhaps I'm odd, to find this stuff annoying. Anyhow -- if anyone feels moved to make "so-and-so-Line" suggestions, re "running nowadays and unclaimed", or "abandoned, but if things had gone otherwise"; either comically / satirically, or seriously re thoughts of "this might attract the punters" ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I know what you mean about the saturation effect. Almost everything in Swindon is the Brunel something or other - what would he have made of a sign pointing to the "Brunel Car Park". And the Mallaig route seems to be enduring Harry Potter mania.
Likewise, the annual steam excursion up the line that goes vaguely near to, but doesn't stop at, Holmfirth: it's named "The Tin Bath" after an episode of Last of the Summer Wine in which three old geezers get up to some mischief - with hilarious consequences (hang on, that doesn't narrow down the episode very much).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
And the Mallaig route seems to be enduring Harry Potter mania.

When I last rode the West Highland, felt like I was having the upcoming 'Harry Potter viaduct' rammed down my throat by the staff, on-train guides, and post cards being handed out, etc. Frankly, it's a mere footnote in my view compared to the rest of the scenery.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was always fond of the Marshlink title, however it seems to have fallen out of use since it became swallowed up by the East Coastway. There should definitely be a tiled mural of the lines NSE route badge, with the sillhouetted smuggler.

Perhaps one of the routes in Suffolk could become the "Lovejoy" line, in honour of that excellent television series.

DavidGrain

Established Member
When Birmingham Snow Hill reopened northwards the line was called the Jewellery Line. Now it has gone back to being called the Stourbridge Line by most people especially as most trains now do not terminate in Snow Hill but run from Warwickshire (or just inside the West Midlands/Warwickshire border) to Stourbridge and on into Worcestershire.

vlad

I wonder about the GW branch lines in Devon and Cornwall.

You've already brought up the Tarka Line. Then you get the purely descriptive like the Tamar Valley Line and the St Ives Bay Line, where you'd expect they'd have thought up something worse already.

The weirdest has to be the Maritime Line, which runs from Truro to Falmouth. Now, I appreciate that Falmouth is on the coast but surely it isn't the first place that springs to mind when you think of the sea?

martinsh

Established Member
In view of some of the contraptions which were used to convey passengers / Freight on it, I would have called the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire the "Heath Robinson line" !

Established Member
.....Perhaps one of the routes in Suffolk could become the "Lovejoy" line, in honour of that excellent television series.

The Lovejoy Line was indeed the name for the Marks Tey - Sudbury line back in First Great Eastern days, when the management had a sense of humour.

Eventually it was decided that perhaps a slightly dodgy antique dealer wasn’t the right image so the line is now the somewhat classier Gainsborough line.

As for naming lines, can’t see a problem. It gives the route some identity and if it attracts more passengers then great.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Lovejoy Line was indeed the name for the Marks Tey - Sudbury line back in First Great Eastern days, when the management had a sense of humour.

Eventually it was decided that perhaps a slightly dodgey antique dealer wasn’t the right image so the line is now the somewhat classier Gainsborough line.

As for naming lines, can’t see a problem. It gives the route some identity and if it attracts more passengers then great.

That's a shame - much better than the "Gainsborough line" which seems somewhat impractical, given that the route goes nowhere near Gainsborough !

AM9

Veteran Member
When the electrification is complete including running the class 710s , maybe TfL could come up with a whimsical graphic of a goblin for the line that has (logically) acquired that name. It could start a scheme to differentiate between the various London Overground services.

Calthrop

Established Member
When I last rode the West Highland, felt like I was having the upcoming 'Harry Potter viaduct' rammed down my throat by the staff, on-train guides, and post cards being handed out, etc. Frankly, it's a mere footnote in my view compared to the rest of the scenery.

That sounds ghastly. I quite like the Harry Potter books; but like so many elements of life these days, I feel that that whole thing gets hyped / milked / flogged to death, to a degree that prompts nausea. (I have a theory that the Hogwarts Express -- and its deduced counterparts, not mentioned in the books [JKR can't cover everything !] run -- save for the King's Cross bit -- on tracks totally separate from our rail system; which are unseen and unknown by Muggles -- and that the HE etc., are not actual steam trains powered by fossil fuel and water; but a magical simulacrum of same.)
I was always fond of the Marshlink title, however it seems to have fallen out of use since it became swallowed up by the East Coastway. There should definitely be a tiled mural of the lines NSE route badge, with the sillhouetted smuggler.

Afraid I had to look up "Marshlink" -- right: Ashford -- Hastings. Thought came to mind of a title for this route -- the "Syn Line": after Dr. Syn the smuggling vicar of Dymchurch, in the Napoleonic-wars-era-set novels. (One of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch's locos is or was named Doctor Syn.) But -- the name would, I suspect, mean nothing to most people.
Perhaps one of the routes in Suffolk could become the "Lovejoy" line, in honour of that excellent television series.

In view of some of the contraptions which were used to convey passengers / Freight on it, I would have called the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire the "Heath Robinson line" !

The S & M was indeed weird -- even by Colonel Stephens's standards :s .

Eventually it was decided that perhaps a slightly dodgey antique dealer wasn’t the right image so the line is now the somewhat classier Gainsborough line.

Re Lovejoy -- I'm one of those freaks who don't watch television. Long ago, I read a few of the books about Mr. Lovejoy's doings, on which the telly series presumably based; but I'd quite forgotten that East Anglia was where he did his thing.

That's a shame - much better than the "Gainsborough line" which seems somewhat impractical, given that the route goes nowhere near Gainsborough !

I presume the above is a jest -- line called, of course, after Gainsborough the painter, not Gainsborough the Lincolnshire town. I'd have thought that Constable (Hay Wain and all that) was a painter more renownedly associated with the part of the world concerned, than Gainsborough; but perhaps the "Constable Line" would call up un-wished-for images of phalanxes of stern police officers travelling on all trains, and enforcing exemplary behaviour by the passengers...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I presume the above is a jest -- line called, of course, after Gainsborough the painter, not Gainsborough the Lincolnshire town. I'd have thought that Constable (Hay Wain and all that) was a painter more renownedly associated with the part of the world concerned, than Gainsborough; but perhaps the "Constable Line" would call up un-wished-for images of phalanxes of stern police officers travelling on all trains, and enforcing exemplary behaviour by the passengers...
"Constable line" would be a fitting nickname for the Doncaster to Scunthorpe line on that basis! :lol:

Established Member
Someone mention the Hay Wain?
<————

Thomas Gainsborough was born in Sudbury, John Constable in East Bergholt near Manningtree.

Wouldn’t worry about confusion with Gainsborough the town, possibly most people round here would say the painter is more famous, and would need to be told Gainsborough is somewhere up north.

Whilst on the Sudbury line, special mention for the couple who have been active as the rail users reps for a number of years and station adopters at Bures. They’ve put a lot of work in to help promote the line. Most conductors say the line has the politest passengers too, not often a constable is required down there, even during Chappel beer festival.

Yet it'll bring in a shed load of money to the area and railway, attracting a different type of traveller who wouldn't necessarily have gone on a train ride just to see the scenery.
All good for the economy.

Calthrop

Established Member

Point taken -- it's just that, as per my OP, I fear I'm a dinosaur: the antics of advertising and publicity annoy me, and tend not to attract me to whatever is being advertised, but to put me off it. I feel strongly that Britain's pre-nationalisation companies would have had no truck with such vulgarities as branding sections of their systems, "the Such-and-Such Line" -- but seventy-plus years ago, it was a greatly different world in very many ways. I tend here toward the sentiment of "do what you must; but leave me out of it".

Nonetheless, dreaming up such "branding" names (assuming an enormously greater rate of survival into the 21st century, for very-minor lines, than has actually been the case) has been fun. Have tried to resist the temptation of extremely obscure local references: names have got to be, of something which a fair number of people have heard of, or the public won't be wooed -- just bemused.

Ideas thought of, in "irregular geographical" order:

Launceston -- Wadebridge might be the "Arthur Line" -- from its passing close to Tintagel, identified by many with King Arthur's Camelot.

The Yelverton -- Princetown branch: hard to get "cutesy" about Dartmoor Prison; but just maybe -- thanks to Conan Doyle and Holmes -- the "Baskervilles Line"?

The thinly-fictionalised "Wessex" of Thomas Hardy's novels -- its heartland Dorset, but encompassing "the south-west" in general -- could probably yield a few names: I'm not very well acquainted with the novels, so am vague on quite where in "Wessex" their respective action takes place -- but one can imagine a "Tess Line", a "Jude Line", and likely various others. The Somerset & Dorset's Evercreech Junction -- Highbridge branch might be the "Avalon Line"; with some people making the tie-up which they do, of Glastonbury with the mythical blessed isle of Avalon.

The Cheddar Valley branch's station at Wookey, might be seen as an OK for branding that branch as the "Witch Line". Also in the Mendips: Cheddar Valley's subsidiary Blagdon branch, with its station at Burrington -- the eighteenth-century Rev. Augustus Montague Toplady took refuge from a severe storm, in a crack in the rocks of Burrington Combe; which inspired him to the famous hymn "Rock of Ages, cleft for me..." Blagdon branch = "Rock of Ages Line"?

Back to things witch-related, but up north: with the notorious Lancashire Witches a few centuries ago, having done their stuff around Pendle Hill -- Blackburn to Hellifield could be the (plural) "Witches' Line".

With the Gloucester -- Ledbury branch intermediately serving Dymock: the group of versifiers who lived thereabouts just over a century ago, called the Dymock Poets (leading lights among them Rupert Brooke; and Edward Thomas, author of Adlestrop) -- could be enlisted, for branding the branch as the "Poets' Line". Further poet-ish doings: with Alfred, Lord Tennyson, having long lived at least part of the time at Farringford House near Freshwater in the Isle of Wight: if the Newport -- Freshwater branch were still with us, it could get the "Tennyson Line" brand. Or perhaps not: Tennyson underwent miseries on the Isle of Wight, in the shape of merciless attention from fans / gawpers -- he might have been flattered, but also felt wretchedly pestered. This became much worse for him with the opening in 1889 of the Newport -- Freshwater line -- delivering the gawpers right to his door, as it were: he consequently moved to the mainland for the few remaining years of his life. Alternative "Tennyson Line" possibilities in Lincolnshire, the poet's native county: the termini of the Woodhall Junction -- Horncastle, and Firsby -- Spilsby, branches, were both about five miles from Somersby, the village of Tennyson's birth and childhood.

The Meon Valley branch (Alton -- Fareham) could be either the "Austen Line" -- it passed close by Jane Austen's home near Chawton; or (which I'd prefer -- I find Jane unreadable) could commemorate her (just) contemporary Gilbert White, curate of the village of Selborne and pioneer ornithologist and natural-history writer. (Some have suggested that he was more interested in his local birds, than in his human spiritual flock.) I believe that Tisted station on the Meon Valley line -- a couple of miles from Selborne village -- had as its full name "Tisted for Selborne", in honour of GW. The "Gilbert White Line"; or -- if only -- the "Mad Birding Parson Line".

Heacham -- Wells-next-the-Sea, calling intermediately at Burnham Market, might be the "Nelson Line" -- after England's nautical hero, who was born near B.M. A passing thought re the neighbouring Wells-next-the-Sea -- Dereham stretch, serving Walsingham: allegedly the site of the only apparition in England, of the Virgin Mary; leading to some adherents of that view of things, calling the place "England's Nazareth". I feel, though, that the "England's Nazareth Line" would not go down well with the majority of the folk of a culturally strongly-Protestant country. In those approximate parts -- the aristocratic family of which Lord Peter Wimsey of Dorothy L. Sayers's detective yarns, is a scion: have their stately home at Duke's Denver in the west Norfolk fenlands -- this reckoned a borrowing from the real-life village of Denver in that region. Denver's station, on the Ely -- King's Lynn line, was the junction for the branch to Stoke Ferry. If that branch were running today, would branding it as the "Wimsey Line" be too cheeky?

The main intermediate settlement served by the Midland Railway's Bedford -- Northampton branch, was the small town of Olney. Known for being the dwelling-place some two and a half centuries ago, of the Christian poets and hymn-writers William Cowper and John Newton (author of Amazing Grace); also, of course, for its Shrove Tuesday pancake-making race through the town. I like the idea for Bedford -- Northampton, of "Hymnsters' Line"; but bathos, and appeal to the less high common denominator, would most likely mean the choice of "Pancake Line". Just a little way removed from this location, is Towcester: immortalised by Charles Dickens in Pickwick Papers, under the thin disguise of "Eatanswill" -- venue of an enthusiastically-described, gloriously corrupt by-election, involving all kinds of skulduggery. The Stratford-on-Avon & Midland Junction Railway's route(s) Blisworth -- Towcester -- on westward to Stratford and / or Banbury, might receive the name "Pickwick Line".

A little way to the north: a line with which I would love to have been acquainted first-hand -- the former Great Northern / LNW joint route, running northward from Market Harborough through the delightful wolds which used to be the "foxhunters' heaven" of "High Leicestershire". This one would have to be the "Huntsmen's Line" -- linking up at Bottesford Junction with what is truly nowadays called (a bit cringe-makingly for me) the Poacher Line (Nottingham -- Grantham -- Boston -- Skegness). In "our present-day reality", "Huntsmen's Line" would be seen as very un-PC, and would either never have been adopted, or would have been abolished; but within reason, one can have whatever one likes, happen in one's alternative history.

Further north yet: the one-time Lancashire & Yorkshire / NER joint line from Goole to Haxey Junction (with its wondrously back-of-beyond subsidiary branch to Fockerby), served en route Epworth: birthplace of John Wesley, and where he began his evangelising career. Thus, the "Wesley Line"? Maybe, though, that would (same problem basically, as at Walsingham) risk putting noses out of joint, among adherents of other varieties of Christianity, than the Methodist one. Best, one feels, "not to go there".

In the Lake District, one of the region's most famous inhabitants -- Beatrix Potter -- long lived at Sawrey, a few miles from the respective termini of the Furness Railway's Foxfield -- Coniston, and Ulverston -- Windermere Lakeside, branches. In our scenario here, I see "Potter Line" being rejected for whichever of the two might be chosen; because of a confusion-factor being perceived involving our friend Harry, mentioned upthread. Appropriation hence envisaged, of names of Beatrix's characters -- maybe "Tiggywinkle Line" or "Nutkin Line" -- heaven forbid.

Lastly in England, the Hexham -- Riccarton Junction route: maybe "Reivers' Line" or "Mosstroopers' Line" -- looking back at the turbulent past of this part of the world, where seemingly everybody was forever raiding everybody else.

Established Member
Nothing wrong with being a dinosaur ;) Some of the names are a bit obscure if you are not up on the local history.

And the Romford - Upminster line should be the Ian Dury line.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
"Constable line" would be a fitting nickname for the Doncaster to Scunthorpe line on that basis! :lol:

Thoughts come to mind of the times when Yugoslavia was still Yugoslavia; of the policeman, fully on duty, who travelled on every passenger train. For railway enthusiasts, especially of the photographic bent, visiting that country -- they already had a hard row to hoe, and the train policeman certainly didn't make things easier. For all I know, this is still the way things are done in the various bits which Yugo. split up into; but with steam no more, on the whole there's less at stake.

Someone mention the Hay Wain?
<————Thomas Gainsborough was born in Sudbury, John Constable in East Bergholt near Manningtree.

Wouldn’t worry about confusion with Gainsborough the town, possibly most people round here would say the painter is more famous, and would need to be told Gainsborough is somewhere up north.

Shows how much I know about painters and painting -- East Anglian or otherwise ! A propos of absolutely nothing: I like the way that East Bergholt and Marks Tey are, spelt backwards -- Tlohgreb Tsae (sounds Russian), and Yet Skram.

Yet it'll bring in a shed load of money to the area and railway, attracting a different type of traveller who wouldn't necessarily have gone on a train ride just to see the scenery.

One can consider something essentially positive, without personally liking it.

Nothing wrong with being a dinosaur ;) Some if the names are a bit obscure if you are not up on local history.

I'm tempted to say, "who is this Ian Dury of whom you speak?" -- but even I (described accurately enough once by a friend, as "musically dead") am dimly aware that he was a popular musician who harboured radical sentiments. He comes to my mind nowadays, chiefly in the recalling of a long-ago piece by a loathsome halfway-to-Nazi tabloid journalist, rubbishing him and other such performers, and accidentally-on-purpose mis-spelling his name as "Drury". In my book, *****y conduct: oppose people if your views lead you to do so, but don't descend to petty nastiness of that kind. (It might have been an honest mistake on the writer's part -- but if so, editing should have caught it.)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Nothing wrong with being a dinosaur ;) Some of the names are a bit obscure if you are not up on the local history.

I've never been on the latter line, but if it's 'Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll' I may have to try it!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I wonder about the GW branch lines in Devon and Cornwall.

You've already brought up the Tarka Line. Then you get the purely descriptive like the Tamar Valley Line and the St Ives Bay Line, where you'd expect they'd have thought up something worse already.

The weirdest has to be the Maritime Line, which runs from Truro to Falmouth. Now, I appreciate that Falmouth is on the coast but surely it isn't the first place that springs to mind when you think of the sea?
I'm waiting for the Poldark Line, except Charlestown never had a railway as far as I know!

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Sometimes it's better to leave the naming to users of the service: the Bakerloo line was originally an unofficial name, much disliked by the railway's management, but eventually taken up officially. Then there was the Bedpan line, Bedford to St Pancras, which fell into disuse with the rise of Thameslink, and of course the Goblin line, which I don't believe is an official name, at least not yet.

I also suspect that railway workers have their own unofficial names for various lines, what with their proclivity for dreaming up imaginative and often humorous nicknames for locomotives and rolling stock.

AM9

Veteran Member
... I also suspect that railway workers have their own unofficial names for various lines, what with their proclivity for dreaming up imaginative and often humorous nicknames for locomotives and rolling stock.
... and passengers? :)

Calthrop

Established Member
Another candidate just came to mind: we gather that "Darrowby" in James Herriot's books is actually Thirsk, where the author's veterinary practice was. In the alternative time-line for the purpose of this thread, we can have whatever rail lines we like -- however "hopeless" in reality -- still with a passenger service in 2018: so, Thirsk -- Melmerby -- Masham. "Herriot Line"; "All Creatures Line"; or (focusing on Theakston's brewery at Masham, rather than Mr. Herriot) -- "Old Peculier Line".

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I don't doubt that for a second.

Just reduces the tourist experience of beautiful western Scotland to something akin to visiting Disneyland with a selfie stick.

Established Member
I don't doubt that for a second.

Just reduces the tourist experience of beautiful western Scotland to something akin to visiting Disneyland with a selfie stick.

In which case visit the Ian Dury line with a rhythm stick instead.

Established Member
Surely Dickie, that honour should fall to the line through Billericay.

Billericay Dickie was indeed a Dury song, but so was Plaistow Patricia (don’t play in front of parents!) so there is competition with the District line there. Ian Dury apparently lived in Upminster for a small part of his childhood, the second album was called Lord Upminster and Upminster Kid (which mentions Romford in the lyrics) was another of his compositions. No further evidence m’lord.

If Lovejoy could have a line named after him, why not? The line is crying out for some identity as an outpost of Arrival Rail London ;)

Lucan

Established Member
The thinly-fictionalised "Wessex" of Thomas Hardy's novels -- its heartland Dorset, but encompassing "the south-west" in general -- could probably yield a few names: I'm not very well acquainted with the novels, so am vague on quite where in "Wessex" their respective action takes place -- but one can imagine a "Tess Line", a "Jude Line", and likely various others.
As a Hardy fan, I would say the "Tess Line" would be Wareham to Weymouth. The "Jude Line" could be anywhere in "Wessex", even the GWR or SWT main lines. Interestingly, the earlier Hardy novels were quite localised, but the later ones became more far-flung - an effect due to the spread of the railways during Hardy's career. Jude the Obscure, his last novel, travelled all over the place, taking in Oxford, Basingstoke and Reading among others.

The Meon Valley branch (Alton -- Fareham) could be either the "Austen Line" ....; or (which I'd prefer -- I find Jane unreadable) could commemorate her (just) contemporary Gilbert White, curate of the village of Selborne and pioneer ornithologist and natural-history writer.
I'm also a fan of Gilbert White (Mrs Lucan is distantly connected to him), but he is hardly more readable than Jane Austen and I don't suppose that he is known to 1% of people who know of her. Anyway, calling Farnham-Alton the "White Line" would fail a Political Correctness test, as well as reminding people of the Titanic FUBAR. White was more than an ornithologist; he discovered the harvest mouse as a separate species for example.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
As a Hardy fan, I would say the "Tess Line" would be Wareham to Weymouth. The "Jude Line" could be anywhere in "Wessex", even the GWR or SWT main lines. Interestingly, the earlier Hardy novels were quite localised, but the later ones became more far-flung - an effect due to the spread of the railways during Hardy's career. Jude the Obscure, his last novel, travelled all over the place, taking in Oxford, Basingstoke and Reading among others.

Thanks -- I've read little by Hardy; largely because of the widespread -- maybe mistaken? -- perception that his novels tend to be extremely gloomy and depressing. If I'm right, in Jude (that one, I gather, truly a misery-fest par excellence) the Wantage Tramway plays a bit-part.

I'm also a fan of Gilbert White (Mrs Lucan is distantly connected to him), but he is hardly more readable than Jane Austen and I don't suppose that he is known to 1% of people who know of her. Anyway, calling Farnham-Alton the "White Line" would fail a Political Correctness test, as well as reminding people of the Titanic FUBAR. White was more than an ornithologist; he discovered the harvest mouse as a separate species for example.

As you observe: probably few modern-day Britons who are not nature-buffs, have heard of the Rev. White. I felt from the first, the same way as you: for more than one reason, the "White Line" would not "fly" -- would have had to be an, in some way, more wordy title.

Status
Not open for further replies.