• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Markey Harborough Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Thompson

In order to mount or dismount East Midlands trains to and from London the difference in level between the platform and the the step into the carriage is excessive for many people. A warning is given by both railway staff on the train and station warning about the gap. However, for elderly passengers, those who are not very mobile and mothres with young babies, the gap is to great to negotiate safely.

Can anything be done to raise the platform level ot provide and additional step below the carriage door?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

civ-eng-jim

I suspect not. Platform/train interface is always a trade off between achieving normal structural clearances and an acceptable stepping distance.

The maximum vertical and horizontal stepping distances are 250mm and 275mm respectively, which is large but compliant.

Market Harborough is on a reverse curve and the cant will be designed to maximise through-train speed (110mm allowed on platforms)

If the track is canted away from the platform, the platform height must increase otherwise there will be a large vertical step and where the track is canted towards the platform, the platform height must reduce. This makes for an undulating platform.

The horizontal gap for carriages with end doors will be greatest when the train is on the outside of a curved platform.

bengolding

I was told a while back by station staff that as part of the MML electrification, the track would be rebuilt across the existing car park, straightening the curve into the station. Hopefully this will rectify the existing large gap as well as being able to board/alight all carriages of a HST.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
There is something that can be done. The Harrington Hump is a raised bouncy tarmac raised level that is designed for stations like this. Dalton in Furness also has very low platforms.

thenorthern

Established Member
Salford Central also has quite low platforms, sometimes they rebuilt platforms but it does cost quite a bit to do that.

LowLevel

Established Member
There is something that can be done. The Harrington Hump is a raised bouncy tarmac raised level that is designed for stations like this. Dalton in Furness also has very low platforms.

It's not really designed for 8 car intercity platforms like the down platform at Market Harborough though, most give 1 door of level access.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In order to mount or dismount East Midlands trains to and from London the difference in level between the platform and the the step into the carriage is excessive for many people. A warning is given by both railway staff on the train and station warning about the gap. However, for elderly passengers, those who are not very mobile and mothres with young babies, the gap is to great to negotiate safely.

Can anything be done to raise the platform level ot provide and additional step below the carriage door?

There is the same sort of thing at Warwick Parkway.

Senex

Established Member
Market Harborough is on a reverse curve and the cant will be designed to maximise through-train speed (110mm allowed on platforms)

The details I noted from the track a few years ago (after enhanced curving speeds had been brought in on the Midland (at the end of the 80s)) were that the platform curve was 28¼ chains in radius with 5" cant and a 240' transition (which pretty well corresponded to the northern half of the platform).

5" would probably be 125 mm today, wouldn't it? Are the some heritage exceptions to the 110 mm rule you cite? (I seem to recall that I've seen in another place that there are some speeds on the Midland line that are actually higher than would normally be permitted under today's rules.)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe when the station was rebuilt back in the 1970, the buildings were built at odd angles to the platform edge, in anticipation of the platforms one day being straightened.

Senex

Established Member
I believe when the station was rebuilt back in the 1970, the buildings were built at odd angles to the platform edge, in anticipation of the platforms one day being straightened.

The rebuilding was in 1977. I can confirm from conversations with those involved at the time that the new buildings on the down platform line up with what was planned as the new alignment: the line would have straightened out of the curve to run parallel to those buildings and then straight out and across to the old LNW alignment which would have been followed to the old Great Bowden Junction, from which point the original Midland alignment would have been followed through to the point of junction with the 1880s overpass alignment.

Kettledrum

The rebuilding was in 1977. I can confirm from conversations with those involved at the time that the new buildings on the down platform line up with what was planned as the new alignment: the line would have straightened out of the curve to run parallel to those buildings and then straight out and across to the old LNW alignment which would have been followed to the old Great Bowden Junction, from which point the original Midland alignment would have been followed through to the point of junction with the 1880s overpass alignment.

Very interesting - I'm curious to know why the planned re-alignment was never done. Does anyone know?

snowball

Established Member
It would be interesting to have confirmation as to whether or not a realignment is to happen as part of (or in time for) electrification. There was an article in Modern Railways a year or so ago complaining that it was not part of the current electrification plans.

Senex

Established Member
Very interesting - I'm curious to know why the planned re-alignment was never done. Does anyone know?

It was indeed a lack of funding. When the buildings were done, that was to allow a future re-alignment to take place. The opportunity came with Leicester MAS a few years later and the work was planned, even to the extent of getting rid of the riding school of the old Great Bowden curve alignment and setting out the surveyors' pegs on the planned new line. But at a very late stage of the planning the work was cut out to cut costs. I think there was at least talk of another attempt in the 90s, but that too came to nothing. A document from mid-October for the East Midlands Rail Summit appears to suggest that the present plans are to deal with the station but to do nothing at Great Bowden.

Hairy Bear

It was costed up a few years ago at 26 million and therfore deemed not worth it. So don't hold your breath.
Still nothing stopping them raising the platform height on the rest of the down and extending the up though.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It was costed up a few years ago at 26 million and therfore deemed not worth it. So don't hold your breath.
Still nothing stopping them raising the platform height on the rest of the down and extending the up though.

May not be possible because of the curvature as suggested by Jim up-thread. Also if the realignment does happen anything spent on the platforms in the meantime will be wasted, so a decision is needed on the realignment.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I recall boyhood days in 50s travelling on the now defunct route from Rugby to Peterborough which went through Market Harborough as a junction. I remember on approach seeing what is the current line coming into the station on a sharp curve from the right. The platforms were at an angle from each (V shaped layout).

Status
Not open for further replies.