• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marooned Pendolino cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
Just been looking up a few places on Google Earth and came across an unusual sight just to the West of Newton Station in South Lanarkshire.

On the Up Fast line avoiding the station, there are a pair of Pendolino Driving cars sitting back to back, with no loco or similar in the vicinity. This could clearly be a fluke of the filming, having sandwiched two images together, but the join between the two cars is so distinct that it looks like just a pair of driving cars.

Any comments?

Attachments

• Newton Pendos.jpg
    Newton Pendos.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 240
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Google maps involve a lot of cut and stick jobs. There are previous threads regarding this, I think from memory that the 2 halfway had been stuck together as 2 seperate images for continuity. There are some locations with 2 completely different classes stuck together but can't remember where for the life of me.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

HSTEd

Veteran Member
That picture make it look like 221144 to me, which consists of just the two driving vehicles and which I believe is still in Virgin Trains livery.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
That picture make it look like 221144 to me, which consists of just the two driving vehicles and which I believe is still in Virgin Trains livery.

It's a 390, and as explained above, it comes from cutting and pasting images together.

507 001

Established Member

But pendolinos dont have the pantograph wells on the driving cars?
And 221144 is at crewe?
And it doesn't look like a voyager? :|

sprinterguy

Established Member
Nope, it's definitely the two driving cars of a Pendolino, with the intermediate carriages having been "spliced" out by Google as they put slightly different images together.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Nope, it's definitely the two driving cars of a Pendolino, with the intermediate carriages having been "spliced" out by Google as they put slightly different images together.

Thats crazy, the join looks incredibly fine.

sprinterguy

Established Member
And 221144 is at crewe?
I thought that the two driving cars of 221144 were still at Central Rivers, keeping the regular shunting loco company most of the time? Can't recall whether I saw it last time I passed the depot on the 21st.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thats crazy, the join looks incredibly fine.
Yeah, there's a few other examples as well, which as richw says were mentioned on a previous thread a few months ago: There's what appears to be a 2+14 FGW HST somewhere, and there's also instances when two trains will appear within a single signalling section, sometimes the same train appearing twice.

BestWestern

Established Member
The whole image in the thumbnail above is clearly patched together, the angle of the train in comparison to the surrounding scenery makes it look as though it's leaning right over, all very odd!

Schnellzug

Established Member
That's a very curious angle. It does look as if it's tilting at an angle of about 60o to the vertical. Perhaps they might want to get the tilt system looked at. :|

VTPreston_Tez

On another topic, can anybody find any more and post the exact grid reference to type into Google Earth?

CC 72100

Established Member
Yeah, that's typical of google maps. For example, if you go into Street view in Paignton, for bits you get a 142 sat in the station, then a voyager, then a little while on the pacer again. Woolworths also dissapears and comes back - that's the making of google maps for you!

VTPreston_Tez

Yeah, that's typical of google maps. For example, if you go into Street view in Paignton, for bits you get a 142 sat in the station, then a voyager, then a little while on the pacer again. Woolworths also dissapears and comes back - that's the making of google maps for you!

I'm there now and can't find much apart from a steam train thing gone whack.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
All the high-detail photography (such as this) is from low-level aerial surveys. You can see the point as you zoom in and out where the images change from true satellite photography to aeroplanes- usually the point where the clouds vanish

Status
Not open for further replies.