• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marseille to Lyon TER trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

With my plans to take IC Narbonne to Arles in disarray I'm hiring a car to Avignon before resuming my trip to Lyon. I'm very keen to get the loco hauled TER service but have noted some units on YouTube videos. Does anyone know which weekday services to avoid? I've got a choice of TER17716 or TER17718.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
With my plans to take IC Narbonne to Arles in disarray I'm hiring a car to Avignon before resuming my trip to Lyon. I'm very keen to get the loco hauled TER service but have noted some units on YouTube videos. Does anyone know which weekday services to avoid? I've got a choice of TER17716 or TER17718.

Not sure if it means anything, but TER 17716 appears to be second class only while 17718 seems to offer first class as well.

peteb

Thanks for that. 1st class on this route is confusing. Bahn says all are 2nd class only, Oui SNCF seems to sell first class for some trains only. The pdf timetable says first class not available on any train for holders of second class tickets! When I used this line in May my loco hauled mid morning train from Vienne to Lyon had a nice first class open carriage so I sat in it but then I did have a first class inter rail pass. Maybe they police certain trains at busy times 111718 gets into Lyon at 1840 so may well be full.

Polarbear

Established Member
Last time I was in that part of the world, the loco hauled TER turns ran roughly every 2 hours between Lyon & Marseilles. XX:20 pas the odd hour southbound from Lyon and xx:05 or xx:10 past the odd hour from Marseilles.

peteb

Thanks. Hopefully they're all loco hauled, maybe the ones I saw that were units were ones diverted via the West line during engineering in the summer.

Polarbear

Established Member
Thanks. Hopefully they're all loco hauled, maybe the ones I saw that were units were ones diverted via the West line during engineering in the summer.

There are units on that route, and they can get very busy too. I remember a less than pleasant run from Lyon to Avignon a few years back on a wedged double deck unit, with struggling air con in the summer.

peteb

TER 17716 Marseille Lyon was loco hauled (or pushed actually) yesterday, a rake of 7 ex-corail all second class carriages, a couple with compartments. Very civilised. Train crew and platform staff seem very proud of these corail and refer to them as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.