• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marsh Barton Railway Station Exeter - Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

The exile

Established Member
Indeed but I also thought that you couldn't raise platforms to that height without either having a large horizontal gap or enroaching into the structure gauge.

If that's all it takes I'd have though it would be cheaper and more useful just to have a programme of raising platforms rather than buying fleets of low floor trains.
There is now a Network standard for platform height (amongst other things I assume) - which will therefore apply to new builds of platform as well as trains. Inevitably there are going to continue to be compatibility problems (even with new stations) until all trains and all platforms comply with those standards- which is going to take a long time! Extending footsteps on trains (see Anglia units) will bridge horizontal gaps - thus allowing as near to level-boarding as possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Just got back from Marsh Barton. Lunch at the Double Locks nearby Youngs pub beside, as the name suggests, the Exeter canal.

If anyone else wants to visit, it's about a ten minute walk from the station: head east from the station away from the industrial estate. Once the lane crosses the canal, turn right along the cycle path/footpath and just follow it until you arrive at the pub. About half a mile. Beers from Devon brewery Hanlons as well as Youngs. Fish & chips was good!

I agree with geoffk about the emergency exit ramps off the up platform looking like a complete waste of money - they don't lead anywhere, yet alone a safe place. Bizarre.

People on & off both trains we used despite this afternoon's rain. A welcome addition to Devon's rail network.
Double Locks - yes a good pint there. Regarding my comment about the Marsh Barton emergency exit - my local station, Polsloe Bridge, has a very narrow platform built high above the road, with a wooden passenger shelter next to the steps. If this shelter caught fire, there would be no means of escape. There is nothing inflammable at Marsh Barton. A fire on a train is a possibility but surely there would be room to get passengers away along the platform. There must have been a greater risk of fire when steam trains ran and many passengers smoked!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Double Locks - yes a good pint there. Regarding my comment about the Marsh Barton emergency exit - my local station, Polsloe Bridge, has a very narrow platform built high above the road, with a wooden passenger shelter next to the steps. If this shelter caught fire, there would be no means of escape. There is nothing inflammable at Marsh Barton. A fire on a train is a possibility but surely there would be room to get passengers away along the platform. There must have been a greater risk of fire when steam trains ran and many passengers smoked!

Emergency Exit rules have changed since the likes of Polsloe Bridge was opened as there are plenty other stations on the network which have a single point of entry/exit which wouldn't be allowed on new build stations. Just look at Reston

davetheguard

Established Member
Emergency Exit rules have changed since the likes of Polsloe Bridge was opened as there are plenty other stations on the network which have a single point of entry/exit which wouldn't be allowed on new build stations. Just look at Reston

I can certainly see the point about having a second exit for use in emergency. What I can't see the point of is an emergency exit that ends in a dead end in front of high metal fence and in a position that is no safer than in if you'd remained on the platform!

zwk500

Veteran Member
I can certainly see the point about having a second exit for use in emergency. What I can't see the point of is an emergency exit that ends in a dead end in front of high metal fence and in a position that is no safer than in if you'd remained on the platform!
Given that the most likely emergency is something to do with a train, having a walkway physically separate is an important safety benefit

RPI

Established Member
The shelter at Polsloe Bridge is mostly prefabricated concrete with minimal wooden paneling, I think if that did catch fire it would burn out within about 5 minutes!

davetheguard

Established Member
Given that the most likely emergency is something to do with a train, having a walkway physically separate is an important safety benefit

The emergency walkway runs parallel to the platform at the back of it; albeit at a slightly lower level.

So you'd be the width of the platform further away from -say- a train fire, but that's all.

I'm not questioning the potential benefit of having a second exit from the platform, I'm questioning whether what has actually been built at this location has any real safety benefit; or if it's all about a tick box exercise being complied with at a cost of presumably quite a lot of money.

"Have we provided an emergency exit?" "Yes. Tick." "Does it take you to a safe place?" "Er, don't know, it doesn't require that information on the form."

Luckily none of this takes away the fact that Exeter has a nice new railway station, that I've already found to be useful twice in the three days it has been open. Thank you very much Devon County Council/Network Rail/GWR & even DfT.

Last edited:

aavm

(detailed blog post by retired Brighton Bus manager)

Mission accomplished! It's open.

2014 : £4.3 million
2023 : Actual cost £16 million (for 2 x 5 car platforms with "bus" shelters; and the expensive bit - an overbridge with step-free slope)

Rail infrastructure inflation is out of control.

zwk500

Veteran Member
(detailed blog post by retired Brighton Bus manager)

Mission accomplished! It's open.

2014 : £4.3 million
2023 : Actual cost £16 million (for 2 x 5 car platforms with "bus" shelters; and the expensive bit - an overbridge with step-free slope)

Rail infrastructure inflation is out of control.
But what are the reasons behind it? Especially as this sort of inflation is not limited to the rail industry specifically nor to UK projects (see UK roads or German Airports).

WesternBiker

But what are the reasons behind it? Especially as this sort of inflation is not limited to the rail industry specifically nor to UK projects (see UK roads or German Airports).
...and, according to the figures in the blog, most of the increase was between 2014 (£4.3m) and 2018 (£13m). Given all that has happened since 2018, the additional £3m seems less exceptional (though, granted, still not welcome). The blog quotes the County Council in implying this was due to a change in NR "design standards", but it is not clear if this is true or what these changes might have been.

pdeaves

Established Member
The blog quotes the County Council in implying this was due to a change in NR "design standards", but it is not clear if this is true or what these changes might have been.
Without seeing all the ins and outs, I suspect it was more a case of the council not fully understanding the design standards or not asking the correct questions early on. As far as I am aware, standards in place at the start of the project remain in place for the duration; it's impractical to keep saying sorry, standard X has changed, go back and do it all again to the new version... oh hang on, standard Y has now changed, go back and do it all again..., etc. Especially so when changes to one discipline's standard could have implications on another discipline.

<edit: typo corrected>

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Or is the H&S / Accessibility legislation out of control?
A bit of both I expect. Apparently the foot/cycle bridge was partly funded by Devon County Council so is that separate from the £13m?

Future

2F33 19:44 Paignton - Exmouth was worked by 43094 + GW07 + 43154 as far as Exeter St Davids today, marking the first ever passenger call of a Castle HST set at Marsh Barton

03_179

Established Member
Morning All,

Couldn't wee it in the thread nor when looking at the Sectional Appendix (GW108-009-WR2) or Rail Mileage Engine

Anyone able to supply the Miles and Chains from Exeter St. Thomas' please?

saxsux

Morning All,

Couldn't wee it in the thread nor when looking at the Sectional Appendix (GW108-009-WR2) or Rail Mileage Engine

Anyone able to supply the Miles and Chains from Exeter St. Thomas' please?
I don't know if it helps, but the identification plate on the footbridge (at the northern end of the platforms) is at 196m00ch

On a different note, I visited the station today and was surprised there hasn't been any sort of acoustic barrier built behind platform 2. The main air intake for the incinerator is a stone's through away and can be quite loud!

I noticed most people seem to wait near the bike shelters at the platform 2 entrance and only move onto the platform as the train arrives, presumably to avoid the noise.

I had thought they would built some sort of bank or fencing (like the type you sometimes see along the motorway) to help block the noise.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I found a drawing on Devon County planning site that locates MP196. It is also visible in the photo in post #1. The mid platform point is generally used for station locations so it can’t be more than a few yards away from MP196?

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpeg
    IMG_1308.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 31

03_179

Established Member
Thanks all.
I tewwted GWR yesterday and they replied to me about 5 mins ago an it is 1m 14ch from Exeter St Thomas'

Benjwri

Established Member
most of the increase was between 2014 (£4.3m) and 2018 (£13m). Given all that has happened since 2018, the additional £3m seems less exceptional (though, granted, still not welcome). The blog quotes the County Council in implying this was due to a change in NR "design standards", but it is not clear if this is true or what these changes might have been.
Given the totally new design standards for accessible railway stations were published in 2015 would guess it was that, but perhaps rightly the blame has been attributed to a more generic cause.
As far as I am aware, standards in place at the start of the project remain in place for the duration; it's impractical to keep saying sorry, standard X has changed, go back and do it all again to the new version... oh hang on, standard Y has now changed, go back and do it all again..., etc. Especially so when changes to one discipline's standard could have implications on another discipline.
Depends on the standard, and how easy is to implement at the stage the project is currently at. It certainly wouldn’t be a good look to open a new station without following accessibility guidelines from 8 years before it was completed. (Not to mention it likely was very much still in early design stages in 2015)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
On a different note, I visited the station today and was surprised there hasn't been any sort of acoustic barrier built behind platform 2. The main air intake for the incinerator is a stone's through away and can be quite loud!
I noticed on my visit last week that there is an ambient noise detector mounted on one of the posts with the tannoy system. Presumably this is to monitor noise from the incinerator.

tom1649

I don't know if it helps, but the identification plate on the footbridge (at the northern end of the platforms) is at 196m00ch

I noticed most people seem to wait near the bike shelters at the platform 2 entrance and only move onto the platform as the train arrives, presumably to avoid the noise.

I had thought they would built some sort of bank or fencing (like the type you sometimes see along the motorway) to help block the noise.
It probably would have added on another £5 million to the final bill.

Parallel

Established Member
I noticed on my visit last week that there is an ambient noise detector mounted on one of the posts with the tannoy system. Presumably this is to monitor noise from the incinerator.
A number of stations have these, the PA volume will increase based on the ambient noise around the sensor. I’ve also seen them at Newport, Bow Street, Nottingham and a few others including the Thameslink core. Quite a useful bit of kit really.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Interesting thanks. It was the first time I’d seen one so made the connection with the incinerator, but that explanation makes a lot of sense.

ollyexe2808

Not sure if this is a software issue or not but noticed the PIS on the 'up' platform at Marsh Barton this morning removing the upcoming departure a few minutes prior to the train arriving. Second time I have witnessed it and caused confusion with some people on the platform when they saw the 10:02 train appear after the 09:02 (delayed by +2 mins) just disappeared (at approx 08:58).

Does anyone know if this is a remote issue or something to do with these particular screens? I have seen similar at Exeter St David's with the departure screens before the gateline - but this is the first time I have witnessed it on platform.

Benjwri

Established Member
Does anyone know if this is a remote issue or something to do with these particular screens? I have seen similar at Exeter St David's with the departure screens before the gateline - but this is the first time I have witnessed it on platform.
Would assume an issue with how they’ve been set up. At larger station, like as you mention Exeter St David’s, they’re set to disappear a bit early on screens further away so people who turn up late for the train don’t try and run to make it.

REVUpminster

How long does it take for the station to appear on OpenTrains and Traksy? I would not have thought it difficult to add.

Freightmaster

Established Member
How long does it take for the station to appear on OpenTrains and Traksy? I would not have thought it difficult to add.
I added it to my maps on the morning it opened:

1697095927639.png
(Railcam also shows it)

I would be mortified if I found out that I had missed off something as important as a new station,
which is why I check this sub-forum on a daily basis for progress reports!

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.