• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Martin Walker's Deltics up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's been reported by RAIL Magazine online that Martin Walker's two Deltics, 55016 "Gordon Highlander" and class doyen 55022 "Royal Scots Grey", are being offered for sale. I don't believe that this is the first time that either of the two locos have faced some uncertainty over their future in preservation:
http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/deltics-up-for-sale
Deltics up for sale
A rare opportunity to purchase two former East Coast Main Line Class 55 Deltic locomotives is in prospect.

Martin Walker, the owner of D9016 Gordon Highlander and pioneer 55022 Royal Scots Grey, has decided to offer his locomotives and a large quantity of spare parts for sale.

Both locomotives are currently out of service, with D9016 stored at DCRail’s Washwood Heath base midway through an extensive bodywork overhaul. It had been planned for the locomotive to move to a heritage railway in the Midlands for completion of work, although whether this will now happen is unclear.

55022 is based at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, currently disguised as long-scrapped 55018 Ballymoss. However, it has been out of service since suffering a crankshaft to phasing case quill shaft failure to its operational engine in July.

While the necessary engine repairs are not considered to be difficult, Walker explained that he had been awaiting the availability of a crane to allow the engine to be removed. The engine failure resulted in the cancellation of all its scheduled workings on the NYMR until it returns to operation.

Walker told RAIL: “I’ve had a great time with the locomotives, which has been both enjoyable and frustrating on occasions, but I think the time has come to let someone else take them on."
I believe that the comment "I’ve had a great time with the locomotives, which has been both enjoyable and frustrating on occasions", manages to hint at the extreme challenges faced in maintaining and operating a pair of high performance, vintage diesel locos!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I imagine that Martin will look back at his time owning these two machines and especially the mainline work 55022 has done during that time with incredibly fond memories. But if he does manage to sell them then it'll probably feel like a massive weight's been lifted off his shoulders.
Good luck to him. There's a man that hasn't been afraid to take a challenge on!

mushroomchow

Needless to say, the surviving Deltics are absolute gold-dust - aside from their obvious drawing power for enthusiasts, they're also more than capable on the modern mainline railway. There's something special about the Deltics - even the general public seem to know about them and have fond memories of them, which is rare for diesel traction. As such, TOCs have shown over the privatised era their willingness to use them - they're good publicity. Remember North Blyth - Lynemouth? Even the national media was all over it, and not a Scotsman or Tornado in sight! :p

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Virgin got involved again in collaboration with enthusiasts or leasing companies, like they did with the Pink Peril back in the 90s - now is as good a time as any for them to "celebrate" the history of traction on the ECML!

Edit - My word, was North Blyth - Lynemouth really SIX years ago? Time is absolutely flying.

theblackwatch

Established Member
While a Deltic may be capable, it comes at a cost. No TOC is going to have a sound business case to buy and repair these locos - and I'm saying that being a Deltic fan. No power unit has had a proper overhaul since 1981, and according to one of the DPS engineers a triangle overhaul is likely to cost in the region of £300,000. Martin has done a great job with his locos, but look at all the problems he's had as well (starting on its second main line tour in 2006, when one PU put a leg out of bed - it's never worked since). It's an uphill struggle...

mushroomchow

I wasn't proposing that a TOC outright bought a Deltic - I was suggesting that something along the lines of Porterbrook and Virgin's involvement with DNLL could happen again, maybe this time part-sponsoring a full overhaul of the two units in return for their use in publicity runs. The ultimate fate of DNLL was more down to the volatile spot hire industry at the time and an over-reliance on purely commercial revenue than any issue with the Deltics themselves, which had worked for 6 years, including on VTXC services in D9000's case, without any major issues.

All considered, I don't see why a similar trust, backed by enthusiasts, couldn't succeed in the modern era. The spot hire industry is in rude health, with the likes of UKRL and HNRC going from strength to strength.

I imagine the enthusiast world could comfortably stump up the cash for a triangle overhaul and would be happy to do so, either way. They're Deltics, baby.

sprinterguy

Established Member
No power unit has had a proper overhaul since 1981, and according to one of the DPS engineers a triangle overhaul is likely to cost in the region of £300,000.
Blimey, I didn't realise that was the case: I'd assumed that they'd pretty much all have been heavily refurbished at some point in preservation. That's an expensive bullet that owners are surely going to have to bite at some point in order to keep these beasts running.
Edit - My word, was North Blyth - Lynemouth really SIX years ago? Time is absolutely flying.
Gosh, I suppose it is. Time really does fly - I wouldn't have put that as occurring any more than about three years ago!

38Cto15E

Some of you may remember Chris Rea and his album 'Deltics' perhaps he has got a few quid to buy one of the Class 55's.:)

Edit, This thread has got me going, I have just bought a copy of 'Deltics' on ebay. :)

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Some of you may remember Chris Rea and his album 'Deltics' perhaps he has got a few quid to buy one of the Class 55's.:)

Edit, This thread has got me going, I have just bought a copy of 'Deltics' on ebay. :)

I have the original vinyl version from new in mint condition :)
I wonder if GBRf would be
interested, given their use of 55022 in the past?

I would just love to see a Deltic working the Liverpool to Drax Biomass train :)

(Then again perhaps not such a good idea considering all the heavily graded sections on this run)

On Moderation
I wonder if GBRf would be interested, given their use of 55022 in the past?
No, they are pragmatic and sensible around their traction policy. Buying stuff you don't need is much more up DRS's street.

D365

Veteran Member
It's a shame to read 55022 is not in good shape. Had the opportunity to drive it last year, what an unforgettable morning. I hope that whoever takes it forward in the future will be able to keep turning it out for these experiences.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a shame to read 55022 is not in good shape. Had the opportunity to drive it last year, what an unforgettable morning. I hope that whoever takes it forward in the future will be able to keep turning it out for these experiences.

What an excellent thing to do. I bet that was a great day out.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There is an awful lot of wibble on this thread. No TOC is going to buy or fund overhaul works on an ancient diesel that they aren't going to use.

There's some more detailed information from Martin on his website at http://royalscotsgrey.com/0/2017/10/19/update-on-locos/ which states:

so: not slapping the for sale signs on the locos but if someone rich enough (and daft enough) makes a proper bid it will be considered. ;)

(That is good to hear!)

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sold!
http://royalscotsgrey.com/0/2017/11/29/7594/
A figure has been agreed which I consider is a realistic amount, truly reflecting the historical value of ‘Royal Scots Grey’ and ‘Gordon Highlander’ which includes all spare parts, components and consumables. This will see both locos move to Crewe Diesel Depot over the next few weeks under the ownership of Locomotive Diesels Ltd, a division of Locomotive Services Ltd.

gazthomas

Established Member
Is this The Royal Scot Locomotive & General Trust who operate their fleet under the brand: Icons of Steam?
It is indeed.

Martin Walker and team should be applauded for everything they’ve done - I am remember early on in his ownership 022 put a “leg out of bed” and that must have hurt financially.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Is this The Royal Scot Locomotive & General Trust who operate their fleet under the brand: Icons of Steam?

Yes that appears to be the one. Always assumed Jeremy Hoskin was a steam only devotee, hopefully the locomotives now have a safe and rosy future, I'd just love to know how much they've changed hands for?

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes that appears to be the one. Always assumed Jeremy Hoskins was a steam only devotee, hopefully the locomotives now have a safe and rosy future, I'd just love to know how much they've changed hands for?

He/His Company already own a number of class 37s and 47s including 47501 which has been on test this week.

alexl92

Established Member
Given that he’s starting his own TOC then having 37s and 47s to stick on the back of Steam charters is a good plan, and having Deltics to operate diesel-only tours with traction interest seems like a sensible way to expand that to me. I’m glad they’ve gone to a good home.

Hosking is living my dream: owning and operating locos, his own TOC and restoration company and shares in a football club to boot!

snakeeyes

Given that he’s starting his own TOC then having 37s and 47s to stick on the back of Steam charters is a good plan, and having Deltics to operate diesel-only tours with traction interest seems like a sensible way to expand that to me. I’m glad they’ve gone to a good home.

Hosking is living my dream: owning and operating locos, his own TOC and restoration company and shares in a football club to boot!
Why were the locos taken by road and not rail?

Chrisyd

Article in Rail magazine confirming the Deltics could be used for their own tours:

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/sold-deltics-could-find-work-on-new-railtours

LSL spokesman Peter Greenwood told RAIL: “The reason for the purchase of the ‘47s’ and indeed the ‘37s’ was very much in support of our steam fleet. That is not to say that we have ruled out any possibility of diesel-operated railtours, just that this did not form part of our thinking at the time of acquisition.

“Obviously the purchase of the two ‘55s’ does rather change things. And while it is clear that such locomotives deserve better than purely ‘support’ roles, it is much too early for them to be featuring in our plans for main line operations.”

Status
Not open for further replies.