• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maryland station - Greater Anglia refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

I went through Maryland yesterday evening and had the chance to look at the recent 'refresh' done by Greater Anglia...

What (I could see) they have done;

1) painted all structural hoarding and panels a dull grey and patched up areas of graffiti and rust the same colour.

2) tarmacked carriage stop car markers on the platform edges to locate where each set of twin doors of an 8 car 315 will stop in a formation of 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 6-6 7-7 8-8. I have a few points to make about this a) the entire of an 8 set of 315 vaccates the whole platform at Maryland so there's no chance any passengers will require to position themselves accordingly to board the train and b) given that the station will go over to Crossrail in 2018 there is a severe chance these boards will become redundant and out sync with the new stock and require to be burned off. A waste of money?

3) painted the platform canopies the same shade of dull grey as the building structures as per statement 1).

It's mandatory to bring to GA's attention that the station...
- still smells of p***
- is still stained of p***
- is still dank
- is still dark
- is still uninviting

All the above is also applicable to the outside area, too. :roll:

As a previous resident of Stratford for 3 years I can also inform you that the station is unstaffed at night and remains open between the last train (01:00) and first train (05:00) and in that time is used frequently by drug dealers and gangs as a safe haven for drug deals. They hide underneath and behind the bridge gantries at both ends of the platforms where no CCTV cameras can see them.

The station is being closed for the Olympics and I'm sure it's not a decision based on convenience but sheer embarrassment.

Please, Greater Anglia - or even the future Crossrail, do the whole of the Stratford and surrounding area a favour and close this damned disgrace of a station for the sake of humanity - it's not fit for a dog.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
Oh dear, not great then :P
Do the signs still have "one" coloured blocks on them?
Any pictures?
Adam :D

ChristopherJ

Oh dear, not great then :P
Do the signs still have "one" coloured blocks on them?
Any pictures?

'fraid not. Don't have a camera. It's basically the same as before except everything has been painted the most depressing shade of grey known to man and now there are car stop markers tarmacked on the platforms at every 5ft intervals. <D

Would you feel safe walking through this corridor off the last train at 1am in the morning, knowing there may well be a gang of kids doing a drug deal around the corner?
o2582-0000013.jpg

In regards to the drug dealers hiding out of sight of the CCTV, when I meant they hide underneath and behind the bridge gantries I am referring to the structures in the background of this photo;

3359306610.jpg

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Unfortunately LB Newham got a concession in the enabling act for Crossrail that the station remains open.

SprinterMan

Established Member
'fraid not. Don't have a camera. It's basically the same as before except everything has been painted the most depressing shade of grey known to man and now there are car stop markers tarmacked on the platforms at every 5ft intervals. <D

Would you feel safe walking through this corridor off the last train at 1am in the morning, knowing there may well be a gang of kids doing a drug deal around the corner?

In regards to the drug dealers hiding out of sight of the CCTV, when I meant they hide underneath and behind the bridge gantries I am referring to the structures in the background of this photo;
Oooh dear, that really isn't a friendly environment is it :P

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
And to think, the initial CrossRail plans would have seen it consigned to history :| I wouldn't personally use any station between Romford and Londonm after dark (except for Ilford and Stratford). That said, I probably wouldn't use any out towards Hackney Downs, Chingford or Edmonmtonm Green either...

Established Member
I find it interesting that a station so close to Central London has no ticket machines and only one ticket window which is only open Monday - Saturday mornings, despite Penalty Fares applying from the station. So rather than doing anything which might actually be useful to passengers, I don't know maybe a ticket machine or two, Greater Anglia have just decided to try and make the station look pretty, and as far as I can gather don't appear to have succeeded.

Clip

Established Member
That corridor looks like a lot of stations on GA routes. London fields is pretty much the same..

And to think, the initial CrossRail plans would have seen it consigned to history :| I wouldn't personally use any station between Romford and Londonm after dark (except for Ilford and Stratford). That said, I probably wouldn't use any out towards Hackney Downs, Chingford or Edmonmtonm Green either...

Ive never encountered any problem in nigh on 10 years of getting late trains to these destinations.

VTPreston_Tez

Some of them are fine, smell nice and have friendly locals to boot! (I'm looking at Turkey Street when I say that)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Turkey Street's after Edmonton Green though ;)

I was more thinking of the Stamford Hill and Walthamstow areas...

Status
Not open for further replies.