Marylebone to Leamington with gold card & travelcard

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by philjo, 12 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philjo

philjo Established Member

I will need to travel one way on the 16:47 Marylebone to Leamington Spa (which calls at Bicester and Banbury).

I will hold an anytime day travelcard (zones 1-6) from Potters Bar and also have an annual Gold card.

Is this combination the best split as I don't think the boundary zone fares are available to stations north of Banbury:

Boundary zone 6 to Bicester North (BCS) - SDS £12.95 (with NGC discount)
    BCS - Leamington Spa (LMS) SDS £7.90 (with NGC discount)

Total fare £20.85

Splitting at Banbury instead looks to be slightly more.

Thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 67018

67018 Member

It's slightly cheaper to split at Gerrards Cross, but this relies on being able to split at a station where the train doesn't stop. I *think* this is allowed as the travelcard counts as a season, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to confirm.

4. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

If I'm reading it correctly, the travelcard is inelligible for 19c as it is a day travelcard.

The annual season for which the Gold Card was issued would have to be part of the journey for a split at Gerrards Cross on a non-stopping train.

5. 67018

67018 Member

Good spot - missed that!

A split at High Wycombe would be slightly cheaper and would work on the off peak service where half the Birmingham trains stop at High Wycombe - but there are none of those between 1545 and 1945.

Depending on the date an Advance might be an option, they are sometimes available for £20.

6. philjo

philjo Established Member

Thanks for the replies.

I can confirm that is a one day travelcard.
    also the season ticket on my gold card does not cover any part of the chiltern route.
    I did look at advances but the fare is £40 single (the MYB-LMS walk on fare with gold card is £31 !)

7. 67018

67018 Member

BCS is it then.

Cost of advances depends on the date, looks like you need to go a couple of weeks ahead for the £20 ones. For some reason, the couple I checked seemed to be cheaper on the 1715 compared to the 1647 despite the 1715 being faster (non stop Marylebone-Leamington)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.