Mass Shooting at a Mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WelshBluebird, 15 Mar 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird Established Member

I am kind of surprised there isn't already a thread about this, but I am sure most people here would have seen about the tragic events. My heart goes out to everyone affected, people should not go out for peaceful prayer and end up dead.

I think what has hit me about this is the social media element. I work in tech, I understand how hard it is to deal with things at scale. But it really feels like the social media companies have dropped the ball here. Not just on allowing the video to continue to be shared, but in allowing people a platform to spout their bile which has led to a young man being convinced this was the right thing to do. Make no mistake about it, this is yet another case of a young white male being radicalised by the far right.

ps - before anyone jumps down my neck about how this isn't the right time or about how you shouldn't use tragic events like this to make political points, I used to agree. However what seemingly happens is that you don't talk about it in these moments because of the above, and then it just quietly slips away in the months after until nobody really cares or says anything anymore. As such these moments are when we have to talk about the issues.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Master29

Master29 Established Member

I think they have tried to stop it being spread but unfortunately that won`t stop this. What I have found disturbing is the lack of condemnation in some circles. Thoughts to all concerned.

4. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Mar 2019
  5. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

I am always amazed that the perpetrators of these atrocities and their racist anti-immigrant friends seem to be completely blind to the fact that they are immigrants too! (who destroyed cultures that had lived happily and sustainably in and off their environments for thousands of years before Europeans arrived.)

6. cjp

cjp Established Member

And the natives get treated badly by the settlers

7. Master29

Master29 Established Member

Agreed. All of us are immigrants or descended from immigrants. Sad that some very stupid individuals out there don`t see it that way and witness the result.

8. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

but especially "white" people in USA, Australia and New Zealand.

9. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Just as every muslim cannot be held responsible for the odd murderous nutter neither can all "white" people be held responsible for some odd fascist nutjob. Your comment comes across as racist and divisive.

10. GusB

GusB Established Member

I don't think it does come across as being racist and divisive. It just points out that "some very stupid individuals" (from the post by @Master29 ) tend to forget/ignore that they weren't the first human beings to exist on their respective landmasses. No-one is saying that all white people can be held responsible for the actions of "some odd fascist nutjob".

11. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

And who can claim that with any authority? Should the current population of Wales claim back what is now called England? What about Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.