• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matalans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprog

Established Member
yes Matalans, you heard me!

matalan.jpg

Matalan ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nutter

ui've got the next 11 weeks off (exept a paper round in the mornings) but ten i start work for notwork rail on their apprentiship scheme, signed the contracts this morning :toothy5: :toothy5: :toothy5: :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Envy levels rising here...

Never mind, I have the free time for now, only another...2 months or so of that before I venture back to the working world...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fancy 16.4 hours working in one go? No? That's what I call a nightmare shift, and before you ask, no I don't fancy it either but have done it. Follow it up with a requirement to be in work again shortly afterwards for 0900 (had it changed to 1000), and you've got the worst bit of work you'll face. Guess who's done it too...

eezypeazy

Work? Work? You young 'uns don't know the meaning of the word....

Back in 1978, I had the misfortune to get SNOWED IN at work. My shift was supposed to finish at 2am, but the taxi couldn't get to me.... so, I spent the next three hours restlessly in a chair, before being roused at 0530 because the next shift technician couldn't get in!!!

Who says working in the media is glamourous!!!!

eezypeazy

Simming

back in my day, used to have to get up 3 hours before you went to bed, go down pit, dig up coal for 23 hours, work in factory for another 29 hours. and its would be a 50 mile walk up hill there, and another 60mile uphill work back home. and that was if you were lucky, back in them days you were lucky to have legs to walk on!

wheres as my current job, 9 - 5 at kernow model centre is quite alright. better than other jobs thats all I can say

devon_metro

Established Member
Simming said:
back in my day, used to have to get up 3 hours before you went to bed, go down pit, dig up coal for 23 hours, work in factory for another 29 hours. and its would be a 50 mile walk up hill there, and another 60mile uphill work back home. and that was if you were lucky, back in them days you were lucky to have legs to walk on!

wheres as my current job, 9 - 5 at kernow model centre is quite alright. better than other jobs thats all I can say

Surely coal is a bit upmarket for Cornwall, leave that to Wales, along with the fuel of britain. Isn't it ;). Thought it was tin down there in Cornwall? :lol:

Your current job looks bloody hard!

Dave A

WSXFan said:
Fancy 16.4 hours working in one go? No? That's what I call a nightmare shift, and before you ask, no I don't fancy it either but have done it. Follow it up with a requirement to be in work again shortly afterwards for 0900 (had it changed to 1000), and you've got the worst bit of work you'll face. Guess who's done it too...

Well, technically, if you count travelling, my longest shift has been 18 hours, of which 2 hours was travelling, so I've almost done it. But I wasn't bothered. I earnt half of what I earn a month in that week!!!

Chris

Simming said:
"And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you!!"

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

Cracks me up every time.:thumbup:

H

HR2

Actually to be honest I think working conditions today are worse than the 60's/70's. Back then a railwayman's and most other jobs was an 8 hour day for 8 hours pay with higher rates for out of hours and weekend work. Not only that but the pay rates were nationwide with the exception of London. A train driver in Aberdeen got the same rate of pay and working conditions as a train driver in Plymouth.

Now all this divide-and-rule policy has resulted in total fragmentation of a well tried and run system so that equality went out the window in the quest for profit.

As to actual physical labour, I don't there is much difference but if there is it would be that you work more for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.