• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt LeBlanc and 4 others join Top Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Hodgson as new UKIP leader

Farrage as the new presenter of Top Gear

Evans as England manager

There - job done!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
People; it is Farage; and not Farrage.

The other MEPs call him Fow*-ige, presumably to make his name sound more British so that when he tries to correct them he has to point out his name is of Huguenot origin.

* Like How

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Tiff Needell has just given his opinion on BBC News on why it just didn't work and I believe he hit the nail squarely on the head, saying Evans just tried to continue the old format with a few little tweaks and it just didn't work.

Well Tiff Needell would know all about trying to continue an old format with mixed success :lol:

Butts said:
I think this will be a blow to Evans - in the latest volume of his memoirs published last year Top Gear was very much the focus of a lot of excitement and positive vibes

Oh it will be a huge blow to him. I think it's a real shame, he wasn't bad and he wasn't anywhere near as bad as the critics and the Clarkson Fanbois were trying to make out. The problem really was that he played it safe, he didn't change very much, meaning he was encouraging the direct comparison with the Clarkson stuff. And he wasn't going to win that comparison, because everyone forgets about the duff episodes as many of them were in the first few series ten years ago.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well Tiff Needell would know all about trying to continue an old format with mixed success [emoji38]

Oh it will be a huge blow to him. I think it's a real shame, he wasn't bad and he wasn't anywhere near as bad as the critics and the Clarkson Fanbois were trying to make out. The problem really was that he played it safe, he didn't change very much, meaning he was encouraging the direct comparison with the Clarkson stuff. And he wasn't going to win that comparison, because everyone forgets about the duff episodes as many of them were in the first few series ten years ago.
He won't have been allowed to be risky, and done of the hatred directed at him is/was way out of proportion - but he must have expected it by Tweeting and allowing every keyboard warrior to vent.

I don't think be was right for the programme, but I don't hate him. I even respected him when he said he and others should be paid less.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Well Tiff Needell would know all about trying to continue an old format with mixed success :lol:

Well clearly the Beeb weren't happy with the feedback and the viewing figures he drew in. Last episode was a disaster for ratings by all accounts. This is the Beebs monster brand which they need to appeal to the masses. He needed to come up with a fresh show with new ideas but he didn't. I think it was very naive of Beeb bosses and Evans to believe they could just carry on the same format and expect it to work instantly. You may believe differently but clearly most of the audience that regularly tuned into the trio weren't impressed with Evans & Co.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Last episode was a disaster for ratings by all accounts.

They put it on against the F1 on Channel 4 and the football on ITV, which isn't what you do if you're after monster viewing figures.

Euro2016 is the main reason why I've missed episodes.

clearly most of the audience that regularly tuned into the trio weren't impressed with Evans & Co.

I don't think Evans worked, but I don't think it was that bad. Given that the viewing figures weren't even as high for the first episode, I expect that the Clarkson Fanbois simply never turned on at all.

Dave1987

On Moderation
They put it on against the F1 on Channel 4 and the football on ITV, which isn't what you do if you're after monster viewing figures.

Euro2016 is the main reason why I've missed episodes.

I don't think Evans worked, but I don't think it was that bad. Given that the viewing figures weren't even as high for the first episode, I expect that the Clarkson Fanbois simply never turned on at all.

I will totally admit that I managed about 10 minutes of episode 1 before I turned it off because Evans was simply trying to imitate Clarkson and it was so cringeworthy. Then after seeing Evans response and being in complete denial trying to claim the show was a complete success I thought I just won't bother any longer. And I believe that is what most others did as well. I will give the next series a go and see if the production crew finally take the hint and come up with something new. If not then Top Gear may be consigned to the history books or go back to being the car show on Beeb 2 that it was in the 90's.

richw

Veteran Member
On bbc webpage there is an article suggesting he won't be replaced with Matt being the main man flanked by Rory and Chris Harris with Sabine and Eddie making cameo appearances.
To me that should be decent as I've enjoyed those three

Temple Meads

Established Member
On bbc webpage there is an article suggesting he won't be replaced with Matt being the main man flanked by Rory and Chris Harris with Sabine and Eddie making cameo appearances.
To me that should be decent as I've enjoyed those three

That sounds perfect to me :)

All they need to do now is cut out the chat show rubbish...

miami

Established Member
That sounds perfect to me :)

All they need to do now is cut out the chat show rubbish...

If they roll back to one guest, drop the silly "my car is better than your car" bit and the "introduce the other person" bit, and have MLB doing a 5 minute interview, I think there could still be a place for it.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed BBC planned an A and B schedule for BBC2 yesterday. If they'd shown last night's football then Top Gear would have been on at 6:30pm and the film Catch Me If You Can would have been shown at the same time as the football.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Chris Harris and Rory Reid do the news as part of Extra Gear now but in a less humerous way.
But the football was being shown On ITV if the BBC were not showing it so why the two schedules. Do people who watch Top Gear only watch it BBC TV?

What this does show is that a lot of people watch stuff on TV and don't always do the catch up.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If they roll back to one guest, drop the silly "my car is better than your car" bit and the "introduce the other person" bit, and have MLB doing a 5 minute interview, I think there could still be a place for it.

What you mean the way it used to be back when the segment worked? :lol:

Darandio

Established Member
But the football was being shown On ITV if the BBC were not showing it so why the two schedules.

They planned two schedules because it wasn't immediately decided whether ITV or BBC would be showing the match.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The other MEPs call him Fow*-ige, presumably to make his name sound more British so that when he tries to correct them he has to point out his name is of Huguenot origin.

* Like How

Which, ironically, reminds me of Sawicz, being the surname of a schoolmate who's Polish grandfather moved here after the war.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They planned two schedules because it wasn't immediately decided whether ITV or BBC would be showing the match.
But isn't Top Gear on BBC 2 or as it been moves to BBC 1 these days? As if it's on BBC 1 it would have needed to be moved but were it in BBC 2, it wouldn't need to be.

Dennis

Established Member
Apart from 'the news', the other thing I missed in the latest series was the crazy conversions....Jezza with a hammer or a power tool was always worth watching.

miami

Established Member
Remember the stretch Panda he built?

The random creations - from a robin reliant space shuttle to amphibious cars, were what made Top Gear worth watching.

I'm hoping TGT will have that type of creativity.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The random creations - from a robin reliant space shuttle to amphibious cars, were what made Top Gear worth watching.

I'm hoping TGT will have that type of creativity.

Oh, nearly forgot, the Africa challenge when the Vice President dropped in to wish them well flying a microlight

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I wouldn't dream of linking to the things Clarkson found on the internet

Didn't the audience say it was animals doing "it"?

Although I think one time it was that nutter in America that has a sexual relationship with a corvette named Chase

Steveman

Could the BBC have managed this car crash any worse, first they get rid of a multi-million pound show.
Then they attempt to revive it in the exact same fashion which fails badly, then they install a disc jockey as a presenter who also fails badly.
Estimates are that the BBC will ultimately lose tens of millions of pounds - well done.

As it's the BBC though it cannot be criticised as "it's the envy of the world"

ExRes

Established Member
Could the BBC have managed this car crash any worse, first they get rid of a multi-million pound show.
Then they attempt to revive it in the exact same fashion which fails badly, then they install a disc jockey as a presenter who also fails badly.
Estimates are that the BBC will ultimately lose tens of millions of pounds - well done.

As it's the BBC though it cannot be criticised as "it's the envy of the world"

The BBC have made a complete rooster of the situation, no doubt of that, but one thing you can't accuse them of is the final straw that broke the programme, Clarkson and his punch, Clarkson did what Clarkson did and nobody at the BBC can be held responsible for that

pemma

Veteran Member
But isn't Top Gear on BBC 2 or as it been moves to BBC 1 these days? As if it's on BBC 1 it would have needed to be moved but were it in BBC 2, it wouldn't need to be.

Yes. Like I said the planned schedule for BBC2 was

If ITV showed the football:
As it was on Sunday with Top Gear at 8pm

If BBC1 showed the football:
6:30 Top Gear
7:30 Film: Catch Me If You Can

It seemed BBC were happy to have Top Gear on at the same time as the football if ITV were showing it but not if BBC were showing the football.

miami

Established Member
The BBC have made a complete rooster of the situation, no doubt of that, but one thing you can't accuse them of is the final straw that broke the programme, Clarkson and his punch, Clarkson did what Clarkson did and nobody at the BBC can be held responsible for that

Indeed, the options (having given him one last chance already) were

1) Ignore a member of staff being assaulted by a contractor and continue to contract the services of that assaulter, drawing the ire, kicking the problem 6 months down the road to the next event, and proving "one last chance" means "carry on"
2) Get rid of Clarkson, and close Top Gear completely
3) Attempt to keep Top Gear going knowing full well that you can't recreate overnight the magic of a show that grew organically over the last decade

It was a no win situation, and 3 was probably the best choice

Status
Not open for further replies.