• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mature Student 16-25 railcard, new photo needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel3982

I am a mature student with about 12 months left of my university course. My 16-25 expired about 6 months ago and need a new one for all my summer travelling. I know being 29 I need to get a stamp on the application form from my university but does anyone know if I need a new passport photo taken and stamped too or can I use the old one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

I am a mature student with about 12 months left of my university course. My 16-25 expired about 6 months ago and need a new one for all my summer travelling. I know being 29 I need to get a stamp on the application form from my university but does anyone know if I need a new passport photo taken and stamped too or can I use the old one?

The old photo card (if that is what you are referring to) should be fine.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You will be fine to use your existing photocard & the photo on it, provided it still looks like you! :)

daniel3982

Thanks, should save us a few bob! Just the blurb on the form talks as if you've never had one before and not just if you're renewing (so says make sure you have a photo stamped too as well as the form).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I know that most clerks are fine with it, however I have had problems before at certain booking offices, for example, Southampton Central, where they insisted a new photograph and signed at the back by the same person who signed your form.

If it is not out the way for you to get a new photograph then I would suggest doing that to avoid any potential issues.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've got a 16-25 Railcard as I am a Mature Student.

We are unable to purchase them online or for the three year period as far as I am aware (due to college having to certify it) Thus we lose out on the discount that comes with a three year one.

Mind you if you had a three year one and jacked the course after 6 months the Railways would not know and you could carry on using it I suppose.:oops:

If you are a real youngster and still under 25 it does not matter.

Can you apply for a three year one if you are 24 on starting your course as the same scenario could apply:idea:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As far as I'm aware, you can only apply for a 3 year railcard up until the day before your 24th birthday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.