• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

max 5 carriages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

according to http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Our-business/Extra-capacity-across-the-network
services between reading and paddington can't be longer than 5 carriages. is that right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I think some of the platforms are only 5 coach lengths long, this prohibits any trains stopping there being lengthened beyond those 5 coaches unless either there is a history of it happening (grandfather rights) or the train is equipt with SDO, and I think neither applies in this case.

paul1609

Established Member
I think some of the platforms are only 5 coach lengths long, this prohibits any trains stopping there being lengthened beyond those 5 coaches unless either there is a history of it happening (grandfather rights) or the train is equipt with SDO, and I think neither applies in this case.

I think that Grandfather rights only applied to Slam door stock.
Out of interest are there any stations still operating under these? FGW HSTs have SDO Im not sure about other operators.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I'm sure there was an issue at Walkden a couple of years back with using a pair of 156s on one of the services which meant it could no longer call there (it had previously been a combination of 142/150 units) due to a door being off the platform.

It makes sense to apply to automatic door stock without SDO as all the doors would be released just as they would be with slam-door stock.

Some short platforms at Midland Mainline stations possibly are still called at by EMT HSTs without SDO.

paul1609

Established Member
I'm sure there was an issue at Walkden a couple of years back with using a pair of 156s on one of the services which meant it could no longer call there (it had previously been a combination of 142/150 units) due to a door being off the platform.

It makes sense to apply to automatic door stock without SDO as all the doors would be released just as they would be with slam-door stock.

Some short platforms at Midland Mainline stations possibly are still called at by EMT HSTs without SDO.

Im not familiar with Walkden but Id imagine the issue would be that a class 156 is 8 metres longer than a 142 rather than an issue on Grandfather rights

mathmo

Yes if they stop at certain stations. In fact if the slow services go along the main lines they cannot be longer than 3 cars if they call at langley...

Presumably because of the (slightly) low platform for half the length of platform 2? Do you know why that is?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well on a HST a couple of years ago at Par I ended up on the ramp at the end of the platform and I managed to open the door.

I admit I wasnt paying that close attention so I only noticed when my foot went two feet further down than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.