• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maximum speed on 750V DC third rail routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
To put it all more succinctly third rail cannot physically supply enough juice for two trains to operate much over 100mph at the same time.

Nor can each train reliably collect the required current at speeds much over 100mph without excessive interruptions and consequential heavy pick-up shoe and conductor rail wear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Yes but it's not something passengers get to experience hence my original post about the usual attainable speeds in service.

Having said that on Sunday's services omitting Pluckley will reach 100 mph in both directions. The up is better as Headcorn is signalled with flashing aspects for swift approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed. More's the pity.

I can vividly remember travelling along that stretch on a fast service calling IIRC at Ashford Intl., Tonbridge, Sevenoakes and Waterloo East. A few years back now, I presume pre-southeastern HS1 services. I monitored my phone GPS and we sat at 100 for the whole stretch.

Impressive how quickly the distance was shrunk by almost intercity speeds. A far cry from the current stopping pattern.

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
Yes indeed. More's the pity.

I can vividly remember travelling along that stretch on a fast service calling IIRC at Ashford Intl., Tonbridge, Sevenoakes and Waterloo East. A few years back now, I presume pre-southeastern HS1 services. I monitored my phone GPS and we sat at 100 for the whole stretch.

Impressive how quickly the distance was shrunk by almost intercity speeds. A far cry from the current stopping pattern.

I agree but while it was nice to have that fast service there were a few practical problems. They were very much lightly loaded during the day when they ran (peak hour and evening services were stoppers). Many passengers from Tonbridge or Ashford want the intermediate stops of Paddock Wood or Staplehurst or Headcorn. I think should still be a semi-fast service but it's difficult to see how it would fit in north of Tonbridge with the enhanced services from Hastings and Tonbridge Wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.