• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maximum travel time

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 9

A lot of companies have maximum travel time from home to depot, if you secured a position is there anything stopping you from moving home in the future to a location further away and thus taking longer than the set time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aeion

Nope nothing at all and there is very little they could do about it, unless of course it started to interfere with your punctuality then a word in the ear would be had.

Aivilo

As long as it doesn't affect performance they shouldn't do anything.

80% of my depot are well out of the requirement

Pacerpilot

As long as you continue to get to work on time, they won't give a hoot.
I don't even live in the same country as my depot ;)

Established Member
One company, London Midland recently stated "25 miles from the depot maximum".

After some discussion with their HR....

A) 'Their' 25 miles is not the straight line distance of 23.9 miles. (Ordnance Survey)

B) Nor is it the 24.8 railway miles. (GBPT 2002)

C) It was infact the 26.2 miles by road. (Google Maps) Absolutely too far, they said.

:o silly.

ComUtoR

Established Member
There is a link between distance you live from where you work and incidents. A line has to be drawn.

Aivilo

That link also has to factor in how you travel. My stress free country jaunt with little or no traffic against an hour in city traffic I know what would prefer

Phil.

Established Member
There used to be a driver based at Waterloo who lived in Crewe. Makes a mockery of the 12 hour rest period between shifts.

LETHLFH

I don't know how people can agree to work over an hour away from home. Especially on the railway where it is not unusual for shifts to be 9-10 hours in length.
Imagine a 10 hour shift with a 90 minute commute to and from work. Imagine if you get stuck in traffic and it increases your travel time to 120 minutes on the way home. Just the thought of it would be enough to make me not move.

D1939

I'm due to have a medical with Crossrail at the end of June with a possible start date in September. They have a '40 minute' rule.

I live 37 miles away from the ilford depot, but 90% of that is motorway, so I can travel at 70mph. For arguments sake, let's say I live 40 miles away and average say at 60mph, that should be 40minutes. I will be traveling by motorcycle, so shouldn't really be stuck in traffic jams.

I wonder if they would accept that?

fabs

If you can demonstrate that you can commute inside the 40 minute limit then I see no problem.
In my TOC the max commuting time is factored into Fatigue Index calculations in diagrams. If there is an incident or a fatigue report submitted then the commute is taken into account.
If a SC staff member lives outside the 'commuting time limit' and has a serious incident (it gets a little complicated with those crew who lived far away before the rules came in) and fatigue is a factor the crew member could be leaving himself open to some unpleasantness.

EssexGonzo

I'm due to have a medical with Crossrail at the end of June with a possible start date in September. They have a '40 minute' rule.

I live 37 miles away from the ilford depot, but 90% of that is motorway, so I can travel at 70mph. For arguments sake, let's say I live 40 miles away and average say at 60mph, that should be 40minutes. I will be traveling by motorcycle, so shouldn't really be stuck in traffic jams.

If your journey to Ilford is 90% by motorway, then you're talking about the M11 or M25 plus roads such as the A12, A406 or possibly the A13 and A127. All of which can be nightmarish and not just in the peak.

It depends if the 40 minute rule is measured at 4am or 7am.....I live in Essex only 17 miles from Ilford and Mr Google tells me that it's 37 minutes with traffic at 1.30 pm on a weekday, or 32 minutes without any traffic i.e. in a perfect world. I know this part of the world and driving within it is not easy.

I can't see how you'd ever be within 40 minutes but then if your shift starts/finishes are in the wee small hours I also can't see that there's too much of a problem either.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
One company, London Midland recently stated "25 miles from the depot maximum".

After some discussion with their HR....

A) 'Their' 25 miles is not the straight line distance of 23.9 miles. (Ordnance Survey)

B) Nor is it the 24.8 railway miles. (GBPT 2002)

C) It was infact the 26.2 miles by road. (Google Maps) Absolutely too far, they said.

:o silly.

Indeed! Though not sure if it is different now to a few years ago, but when they took me on they were aware I was commuting from Surrey to Watford which took a good 90mins door to door! I don't recall seeing such a 25mile limit of commute when I applied so it must've been introduced more recently! Though I am Station staff, not Traincrew...

Some people can't move about due to family commitments and I really don't envy them with doing long commutes, I know how tiring it was for me! Now less than 30min by train to commute to work, I would always live as close to work a I could afford!

Last edited:

D1939

If your journey to Ilford is 90% by motorway, then you're talking about the M11 or M25 plus roads such as the A12, A406 or possibly the A13 and A127. All of which can be nightmarish and not just in the peak.

It depends if the 40 minute rule is measured at 4am or 7am.....I live in Essex only 17 miles from Ilford and Mr Google tells me that it's 37 minutes with traffic at 1.30 pm on a weekday, or 32 minutes without any traffic i.e. in a perfect world. I know this part of the world and driving within it is not easy.

I can't see how you'd ever be within 40 minutes but then if your shift starts/finishes are in the wee small hours I also can't see that there's too much of a problem either.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm the other side of the river so it would be m2, m25, a13 then 406. I know they have the road improvement works at the moment but should be all finished by the time I need to be travelling to ilford.

I guess MTR will have the final say.

greatkingrat

Established Member

Did they ask how you would get to the depot during the interview? If they did then they were presumably happy with your answer and there would be no need to check your journey again.

D1939

Did they ask how you would get to the depot during the interview? If they did then they were presumably happy with your answer and there would be no need to check your journey again.

Yes they did, I said I would be travelling by motorcycle and it might be nearer 45/50 minutes but they seems happy with that, nothing more was said.

I'm just curious as I know someone who didn't live within the time(over an hour away), nothing was said and he just got a letter out of the blue telling him, he had to move by a certain date.

Status
Not open for further replies.