• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2018 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby Atkinson

Is the Blackpool to York curtailment between Preston and Leeds a permanent change? Thought the plan was for this route to be made a Connect route.
East Lancs stations the poor relation again, losing all direct Blackpool and York trains. Have always enjoyed not having to change trains at Leeds when going from East Lancs to York. Will have to join the scrum for a seat coming back from York now. These services can be very busy seems daft to lose the direct links.
This isn’t the same area but a lot of Cumbrian coast into Lancaster and Preston have been terminated at barrow. Maybe because the locos can’t cope on WCML

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Loss of the 00.37 semi fast service from London Victoria is going to anger a lot of folks. Now re-timed to 00.40 and runs fast to Bromley South. Even worse the last Vic stopper on a Sunday is now the 23.56. So much for helping the night time economy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent_Squash

Established Member
This isn’t the same area but a lot of Cumbrian coast into Lancaster and Preston have been terminated at barrow. Maybe because the locos can’t cope on WCML
It was already planned that the loco services would be confined to operating between Carlisle and Barrow.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm m surprised South Western Railway didn't retime the 8.07 Guildford to Waterloo service to 8.05, now that the Victoira to Guildford 8.06 terminator no longer runs.

There is an 8.02 arrival but many a time have they allow very short gaps between arrivals and terminators. Maybe the crew on the 8.02 arrival crew the 8.07 and the turn around times are too short.

I only guess at that scenario because the stock that forms the 8.07 arrives in at 7.34 and deapitw that arriving in, in plenty of time to form the 8.07, I have seen the 8.07 still being delayed.

They have retimed the 7.14 Guildford to Waterloo service to 7.16 to accommodate the new 7.12 arrival so they have made timing changes due to the new Govia Thameslink Railway timetable elsewhere.

telstarbox

Established Member
Loss of the 00.37 semi fast service from Victoria is going to anger a lot of folks. Now retimed to 00.40 and runs fast to Bromley South. Even worse the last Vic stopper on a Sunday is now the 23.56. So much for helping the nightime economy.
That seems reasonable for a Sunday, if your theatre or music gig finishes at 23.00 you can get to Victoria in good time and most restaurants and bars close earlier on Sunday night.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
That seems reasonable for a Sunday, if your theatre or music gig finishes at 23.00 you can get to Victoria in good time and most restaurants and bars close earlier on Sunday night.
Not if the gig is the other side of London or if you are finishing a shift or arriving late from an airport. There will be a lot of folk turning up for that service oblivious to it ending. Where a last or first train is being curtailed I think there should be a lot of extra publicity rather than the generic check the new timetable.

berneyarms

Established Member
Not if the gig is the other side of London or if you are finishing a shift or arriving late from an airport. There will be a lot of folk turning up for that service oblivious to it ending. Where a last or first train is being curtailed I think there should be a lot of extra publicity rather than the generic check the new timetable.
What time are the last trains on Sunday in the current timetable?

What’s the impact?

frodshamfella

Established Member
Extending every other Merseyrail to Helsby would require an extra unit, the same as extending every Merseyrail there. So, no point in just extending every other journey, might as well extend them all.

Makes sense to run both services down to Helsby, its not far, plus actually providing a regular 30 min service would encourage more passengers.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If it's reasonable on a Sunday night, why did the South Western Railway franchise still have a commitment to run a 0.50 Waterloo to Portsmouth service. Surely one towards midnight would do for the Royal navy staff out in London.

If the 0.50 its for those travelling further afield back to Portsmouth but then surely people also might wish to travel from further afield via Victoira to places on the Southeastern network.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed the 8.20 Guildford to Waterloo stopper via Woking is retikesvto depart Guildford at 8.22. I can't see any trains that have been retimed for it need to depart 2 minutes later. I also can't see any yarins that have been removed which stopped it from departing 2 minutes later in the current timetable.

It will I assume count towards South Western Railway speeding up journey times.it may only be 2 minutes end to end but 2 minutes is still faster.

Also I see that the 8.28 Guildford to Haslemere, which arrives in at 8.24 and currently departs from platform 6, now departs from platform 2 at 8.25 and runs to Portsmouth & Southsea. So they are allowing just 1 minute waiting time at Guildford instead of 3.

Not certain of the reason why it can't use platform 4, which is the usual platform but must be some infrastructure layout reason.

I don't know the reason for not using platform 2 before but there was a Victoria depature. However that departed 8 .invites earlier at 8.16.

There are other trains that depart from platform 2 towards Portsmouth but I think think any run on weekday mornings.

Veteran Member
If it's reasonable on a Sunday night, why did the South Western Railway franchise still have a commitment to run a 0.50 Waterloo to Portsmouth service. Surely one towards midnight would do for the Royal navy staff out in London.

If the 0.50 its for those travelling further afield back to Portsmouth but then surely people also might wish to travel from further afield via Victoira to places on the Southeastern network.

Written into the franchise because it has run since Nelson's day (OK, the Nelson units aka 4CORs).

Veteran Member
Loss of the 00.37 semi fast service from Victoria is going to anger a lot of folks. Now retimed to 00.40 and runs fast to Bromley South. Even worse the last Vic stopper on a Sunday is now the 23.56. So much for helping the nightime economy.

The 00.25 is MX in the current timetable.
The passengers significantly affected are from Vic to Herne Hill, Penge E and Beckenham Jn on Monday mornings. SE saves having to provide RRBs every time they divert round the Catford Loop

infobleep

Veteran Member
see the 8.20 Guildford to Waterloo via Woking stopper is being retimed to depart 8.22. It's still due to leaving Woking at the same time. It means the journey will officially be 2 minutes faster. That will tick the improved journey times box for South Western Railway.

The 8.24 arrival from Waterloo now uses platform 2 instead of platform 6 and after studying the timetable for a time, I can see this is the service which currently means the 8.20 had to depart then as it otherwise crosses it's path.

The 8.24 is a train that splits at Guildford, with the front coaches forming the 8.28 stopping service to Haslemere and the rear coaches the 8.43 to Portsmouth and Southsea.

However I now see that the 8.24 becomes the 8.25 depature to Portsmouth and Southsea and the 8.43 is scraped. It was already overtaken by the 8.39, which is now retimed to 8.38, so I'm not sure what it's purpose was. It does mean Godalming has 1 less train to Portsmouth.

Incidentally the 8.28 arrived into Haslemere at 8.52 and formed 9.08 to Guildford that stopped at Godalming and Farncombe. That train has gone and there is a new 8.24 stopping service from Portsmouth and Southsea that previously didn't run.

The 8.15 now also stops at Godalming, departing Guildford at 9.19 instead of 9.17. This gives Godalming three services.

I've not had a chance to check the evening to see if there are any additional services from Portsmouth.

xtradj

Interestingly Scarborough to Lime St stops at 17:50

18:50 and 19:50 are no more, and instead go to Victoria and the Airport respectively

However a new 20:50 goes to Liverpool

Reason for this?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The 00.25 is MX in the current timetable.
The passengers significantly affected are from Vic to Herne Hill, Penge E and Beckenham Jn on Monday mornings. SE saves having to provide RRBs every time they divert round the Catford Loop
That would make sense as to why its been canned. Even worse there is no direct night bus option on a Sunday either.

berneyarms

Established Member
00.37 at present.
That's a semi-fast though - the last stopping train is currently 23:55 on Sunday nights which will now be 23:58.
It's just passengers that use the semi-fast 00:37 service on Sunday nights to Herne Hill, Penge East and Beckenham Junction that are affected (not good for them mind).

Monday-Saturday the last stopping service moves from 00:25 to 00:28.

That would make sense as to why its been canned. Even worse there is no direct night bus option on a Sunday either.

While not from Victoria, the N3 Night bus operates seven nights a week from Trafalgar Square and Westminster to those areas - while people are discommoded, they don't appear to be completely abandoned.

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, this is my first venture away from the T&W Metro!

Can someone explain how 'Two fast services every hour between Newcastle and Manchester calling at York, Leeds and Huddersfield (with the majority also calling at Durham)' is a major change? As far as I know the service from Newcastle was 1tph to Liverpool and 1tph to Manchester Airport; so what has actually changed? Apologies again if I haven't quite understood this but from a look at the current and pending timetable there isn't any difference apart from the service being closer together and about 15 minutes knocked off the journey into Manchester.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, this is my first venture away from the T&W Metro!

Can someone explain how 'Two fast services every hour between Newcastle and Manchester calling at York, Leeds and Huddersfield (with the majority also calling at Durham)' is a major change? As far as I know the service from Newcastle was 1tph to Liverpool and 1tph to Manchester Airport; so what has actually changed? Apologies again if I haven't quite understood this but from a look at the current and pending timetable there isn't any difference apart from the service being closer together and about 15 minutes knocked off the journey into Manchester.

Both services don't run all day at the moment, it's now basically hourly Liverpool plus a few extras to either Man Picc or the Airport. The second service had always been due to ramp up gradually over some period or other, someone will correct me if wrong but I think it was originally due to start last December.

Comparing southbound:
Before: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...3/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP
After: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...4/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP

MetroCar4058

Both services don't run all day at the moment, it's now basically hourly Liverpool plus a few extras to either Man Picc or the Airport. The second service had always been due to ramp up gradually over some period or other, someone will correct me if wrong but I think it was originally due to start last December.

Comparing southbound:
Before: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...3/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP
After: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...4/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP

Ah I see now, thank you for the help! :D

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Beckenham Jct has now only 2 trains an hour to Orpington. Going to annoy a lot going to the PRU hospital. How is this improving services?

Iskra

Established Member
I'm looking to book Sheffield-Stansted Airport at the start of June and London St Pancras-Sheffield at the end of June, but both journeys in NRE warn me that the timetables aren't finalised.

Does anyone know when the relevant timetables will be finalised?
Where do I stand if I book advances on trains and the times change?

Batman

Just had a closer look at the new Chase line timetable. The line speed increase now means WMT can run a half hourly service with 4 units and without skipping any stops north of Walsall.

They’ve taken advantage of this on Sunday’s with an hourly service using 2 units. But the Monday to Saturday evening service remains largely unchanged with an inefficient use of 3 units and long layover times at both New Street and Rugeley.

Surely it would be better to simply extend the xx12 Birmingham to Rugeley services through to 2212, add a Walsall stopper at 1927 and continue with the last train being a Hednesford stopper at 2318

It would also mean the last Rugeley to Birmingham service would run roughly 30 minutes later.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Beckenham Jct has now only 2 trains an hour to Orpington. Going to annoy a lot going to the PRU hospital. How is this improving services?

The other 2tph terminate at Bromley South.

Conversely there will now be 2tph all day between the Catford Loop and Orpington - a new direct link.

In the northbound direction (admittedly not southbound), this does give a decent connection into the Bromley South starter at Bromley South or Shortlands.

Veteran Member
Wouldn't they use the 261 bus from Bromley South anyway? TfL journey planner confirms my memory that it's the fastest route off peak.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wouldn't they use the 261 bus from Bromley South anyway? TfL journey planner confirms my memory that it's the fastest route off peak.
Definitely the way I'd go and did when my father was in that hospital following a stroke. Beck Junc only had a half hourly service to Orpington for donkey's years anyway, and you couldn't get there any quicker by changing at Bromley South either. The Catford Loop deserves its direct link with Orpington, with onward connections into Kent.

Status
Not open for further replies.