• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2020 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Using the facility someone provided in post 135, I see there is now a 0654 in the new timetable from Kirkaldy (2K40) arriving Dalmeny at 0722 and not continuing to Edinburgh. I can't see where it goes next though. Nor can I find a corresponding evening service.

http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/timetables/May20/timetable.php?table=42

It terminates at Haymarket, but because the Haymarket row is showing departure times only, it hasn't generated a time here.
Realtimetrains will tell you that if you do a search for Dalmeny trains at 0722 on any weekday from 18 May 2020 onwards.

Notably, means booked use of Platform 0 at Haymarket.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C59293/2020-08-12/detailed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Using the facility someone provided in post 135, I see there is now a 0654 in the new timetable from Kirkaldy (2K40) arriving Dalmeny at 0722 and not continuing to Edinburgh. I can't see where it goes next though. Nor can I find a corresponding evening service.

http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/timetables/May20/timetable.php?table=42

It terminates at Haymarket, but because the Haymarket row is showing departure times only, it hasn't generated a time here.
Realtimetrains will tell you that if you do a search for Dalmeny trains at 0722 on any weekday from 18 May 2020 onwards.
Thanks for the heads up. All the May 2020 timetables are updated weekly in the run-up to the timetable change, so I've changed Haymarket to show arrival times in the southerly direction.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Handful of changes which would be represented in the permanent timetable after the Subsidiary Change, I haven't spotted them being mentioned here yet:

0854 London Euston to Blackpool North now calls at Crewe

1030 London Euston to Glasgow Central now calls at Lancaster and Oxenholme Lake District, no longer calls at Penrith

0812 Liverpool Lime Street to Glasgow Central now calls at Lockerbie and Motherwell

0730 and 0809 Kidderminster to London Marylebone via Birmingham Snow Hill no longer call at Smethwick Galton Bridge or The Hawthorns the latter no longer calls at Jewellery Quarter

New 0852 High Wycombe to London Marylebone

New 1618 Stratford-upon-Avon to Hatton; 1612 Birmingham Moor Snow Hill to London Marylebone now calls at Hatton

New 0733 Poole to London Waterloo, SuO until 3 October

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Deleted by author: involved what was thought to be a new service but turns out not to be so.

Dave

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just been looking on RealTimeTrains for an unrelated query and noted that the May timetable as shown on there provides, should things go ahead as planned, for Southern to venture into what I suspect is unfamiliar territory by operating on the lines north of London Euston: new services are showing which will give, from what I can tell, an hourly service between Milton Keynes Central and East Croydon with extra trains giving a 30-minute frequency at peak times between Watford Junction and East Croydon. All these will operate via. Wembley Central, Shepherds Bush, Clapham Junction, Balham and Selhurst.

HTIOI,
Dave

Milton Keynes Central-East Croydon has been running for years, though it was to South Croydon until a couple of years back.

In fact it used to be Rugby-Gatwick (and Brighton?) during Connex days.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Milton Keynes Central-East Croydon has been running for years, though it was to South Croydon until a couple of years back.

In fact it used to be Rugby-Gatwick (and Brighton?) during Connex days.

Dare I mention it, this also might have been the remnants of the InterCity Crosscountry "Sussex Scot" before the route switched to running via Oxford and Reading.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Dare I mention it, this also might have been the remnants of the InterCity Crosscountry "Sussex Scot" before the route switched to running via Oxford and Reading.

No, definitely several years gap between the two. The Rugby-Gatwick service was definitely a new Connex post-privatisation initiative in 1997.

SuperNova

Think that has been added this afternoon

With several oddities including all the Manchester to Huddersfield stoppers being extended to Wakefield Kirkgate and the 3am Sheffield train being extended to Cleethorpes. Are some of these likely to be removed?

Wakefield extension not happening now.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Never heard of the "Sussex Scot". Which trains had that name?
Dave

Established Member
From the WTT on RTT it looks like the Newquay service this year is run by 5 car 802's. Monday to Saturday the second half goes back to London or empty to Laria but on Sunday the service runs half to Penzance and half to Newquay before rejoining again at Plymouth on the way back to London.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
1354 from Bolton to Brighton. Forever etched in my memory :)

And I remember the only time I travelled out of Glasgow on it we went via the Cathcart Circle came into call at Motherwell facing north so then had to go via Mossend. Some failure if I recall.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
From the WTT on RTT it looks like the Newquay service this year is run by 5 car 802's. Monday to Saturday the second half goes back to London or empty to Laria but on Sunday the service runs half to Penzance and half to Newquay before rejoining again at Plymouth on the way back to London.

Good: gives Penzance another service of which it would be deprived otherwise with a single train set. Mind you it might be moot this summer depending on how restrictions are eased. GWR should do the same with Paignton and Plymouth: the split occurring in Newton Abbot.

dk1

Veteran Member
Good: gives Penzance another service of which it would be deprived otherwise with a single train set. Mind you it might be moot this summer depending on how restrictions are eased. GWR should do the same with Paignton and Plymouth: the split occurring in Newton Abbot.
We will have to see how these Cornish examples go. Portion working is notoriously risky performance wise & it could cause headaches somewhere like Newton Abbot.

cactustwirly

Established Member

I don't see why that's necessary when Plymouth and Paignton are separate services.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I don't see why that's necessary when Plymouth and Paignton are separate services.

Plymouth-bound trains typically have a 10-car loading just by themselves at Newton Abbott. Add a Paignton portion and you'll just crowd the Plymouth/Penzance portion in response.

Matters less west of Plymouth when loads start to thin out and the two portions can serve most demand between them.

MB162435

Established Member
The main risk if they can't join them together or they won't split then you have cancelled services and short formed trains, but a good idea when it goes well

The amount of tourists in Cornwall this year is likely to be lower than previous years, as will the amount of locals travelling, so 5 car IETs, along with Castle Sets and 158s shouldn't be a problem

Established Member
The main risk if they can't join them together or they won't split then you have cancelled services and short formed trains, but a good idea when it goes well

The amount of tourists in Cornwall this year is likely to be lower than previous years, as will the amount of locals travelling, so 5 car IETs, along with Castle Sets and 158s shouldn't be a problem
That certainly is a risk. The joining and detaching of IET's look to be quite reliable now at Plymouth. I know that there was a few problems to begin with and services had to run 5v10 to London.

Certainly will be a quiet summer this year :(.

MB162435

Established Member
That certainly is a risk. The joining and detaching of IET's look to be quite reliable now at Plymouth. I know that there was a few problems to begin with and services had to run 5v10 to London.

Certainly will be a quiet summer this year :(.
For all the wrong reasons unfortunately

Yeah there quite a few short formations back in the early days that have thankfully improved, plus drivers I expect are more use to connecting and disconnecting them now as well

If it happened in the Newquay and Penzance case, I would say the Newquay portion would be prioritised due to the infrequent service on the Newquay branch compared to the main line

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Next year, Plymouth needs its hourly XC service on Saturdays too. It only loses two hours in the day this year, at 12:XX and 16:XX. I believe that these are replaced by Paignton services. These could be candidates for splitting at Newton Abbott. Put a 6-car Turbo on at Newton Abbott for a connection to Paignton. Same-platform change at least in one direction so no going over bridges or under subways. Plymouth-bound trains are rammed on summer Saturdays and I say that as someone who lived there and still frequents the area.

MB162435

Established Member
Next year, Plymouth needs its hourly XC service on Saturdays too. It only loses two hours in the day this year, at 12:XX and 16:XX. I believe that these are replaced by Paignton services. These could be candidates for splitting at Newton Abbott. Put a 6-car Turbo on at Newton Abbott for a connection to Paignton. Same-platform change at least in one direction so no going over bridges or under subways. Plymouth-bound trains are rammed on summer Saturdays and I say that as someone who lived there and still frequents the area.
One wonders when Cornwall will next see an XC train at the moment, hopefully won't be too long

Sunday's can also be pretty busy, especially on the Cornish branches, no such changes in the May 2020 timetable hopefully maybe in December

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
If the trains have traditionally run to Paignton (and there must be good reason for that) why not put the connection on for Plymouth, that way you’re still adding something but in the same hand not taking something away that already exists each summer.

There’s already been a consultation about taking XC services away from Torbay (replaced by connections) and that didn’t exactly go down well so can’t see anyone proposing it again any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.