• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does anyone know if Liv-Mia fast will return as it’s supposed to from next week?
It's showing as cancelled for next week. I wouldn't necessarily assume it will return the week after.

jonnyfan

The return of the LIV-MIA fast services is dependant on the availability of the CAF Civity units - until they are all repaired and back in service (the 195s at least) this service will remain withdrawn.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 20:00 (or thereabouts) departure from St Pancras to Sheffield was a very cosy 4 carriage 222 yesterday. A year ago, this would have been an 8 carriage HST.

The missing HST capacity was very noticable in its absense (I took advantage of my flexible ticket and went over the road).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The 20:00 (or thereabouts) departure from St Pancras to Sheffield was a very cosy 4 carriage 222 yesterday. A year ago, this would have been an 8 carriage HST.

The missing HST capacity was very noticable in its absense (I took advantage of my flexible ticket and went over the road).

How did you know it was cosy if you didn't get on it? (As you would have had to go through the barriers to do so, even to look through the windows)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
How did you know it was cosy if you didn't get on it? (As you would have had to go through the barriers to do so, even to look through the windows)

I did get on it (and decided I didn't fancy sitting next to a pillar).

REVUpminster

The May Barnstaple- St James Park trains has been cut back to Exeter Central before running empty to reverse at Exmouth Junction siding.

At the time of the previous timetable I did say it was dangerous to tip out at an unmanned station as a child could be left there waiting for the next Exmouth service. I wonder if someone complained or maybe the train crew did not like tipping out at an unmanned station.

sjm77

The return of the LIV-MIA fast services is dependant on the availability of the CAF Civity units - until they are all repaired and back in service (the 195s at least) this service will remain withdrawn.

Well the LIV-MIA services are still showing in RTT from next week, although the timetable for 'Route 16' is missing on Northern's website!
I would be (pleasantly) surprised if they do return next week as there still is a lack of 195s on the CLC stoppers. Until a few weeks ago 3 of the 6 daily diagrams were covered by 195s, now we are down to just 1 if you are lucky, some days this week it has been zero.

craigybagel

Established Member
Well the LIV-MIA services are still showing in RTT from next week, although the timetable for 'Route 16' is missing on Northern's website!
I would be (pleasantly) surprised if they do return next week as there still is a lack of 195s on the CLC stoppers. Until a few weeks ago 3 of the 6 daily diagrams were covered by 195s, now we are down to just 1 if you are lucky, some days this week it has been zero.
As per the thread dedicated to the CAF issues:

Liverpool to Manchester Airport express service to resume on Monday. That resumption was delayed from the May timetable change so seems as if Northern are now on top of this issue.

james60059

Is the NUCKLE (Nuneaton - Coventry - Leamington) likely to go back to an hourly service?. Still only 1 train per 2 hours with a bus filling in the gap.

Incidentally, an article in the Leamington Courier states that MP's for Leamington, Warwick and Kenilworth are calling on people to visit attractions in the area - and let the train take the strain:

Leamington, Warwick and Kenilworth MPs calling on people to visit attractions in the area - and to make use of public transport​

Both MPs were keen to promote the tourist assets which bring more than £800 million into the area’s economy.​

South Warwickshire MPs are encouraging people to visit the area’s attractions – and to let the train take the strain.

Matt Western, MP for Warwick and Leamington, and Kenilworth and Southam MP Jeremy Wright made the most of the improved weather to back English Tourism Week.
Mr Western visited Warwick Castle, while Mr Wright went to Kenilworth station as part of a day organised by Shakespeare’s England, the body which promotes tourism in the county.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

What exactly is "Route 16"?

Having done a quick search, the results come up with a bus route in London, Nagoya Highway in Japan, and the SUSTRANS National Cycle Route.

Searching for Table 16 for trains in Great Britain is the Norwich - Cromer and Sheringham timetable.

berneyarms

Established Member
It's Northern timetable route 16.

A hint might have been the reference in the quoted post to the Northern website! :)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It's Northern timetable route 16.

The hint might have been the reference in the quoted post to the Northern website! :)

Many thanks for that.

It would have been far easier if Northern went by the table numbers instead of having their own numbering system. For example, Northern have 1-5 for North East Region, whereas Tables 1-5 have always been for the London Fenchurch Street - Southend Central/Shoeburyness route, 26 is Sheffield - Doncaster, Adwick, Scunthorpe whereas Table 26 is London Kings Cross to Yorkshire, the North East, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen, 42 is listed as Sheffield and Doncaster to Leeds, whereas Table 42 is Leeds to Carlisle, Lancaster, and Morecambe.

This is one of the various reasons of many of how the country has ended up in the terrible state it is in nowadays.

dk1

Veteran Member
I still can’t get my head around table 16 becoming 15 a few years ago. Many Eastern region tables for some reason dtopped back one.

berneyarms

Established Member
Many thanks for that.

It would have been far easier if Northern went by the table numbers instead of having their own numbering system. For example, Northern have 1-5 for North East Region, whereas Tables 1-5 have always been for the London Fenchurch Street - Southend Central/Shoeburyness route, 26 is Sheffield - Doncaster, Adwick, Scunthorpe whereas Table 26 is London Kings Cross to Yorkshire, the North East, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen, 42 is listed as Sheffield and Doncaster to Leeds, whereas Table 42 is Leeds to Carlisle, Lancaster, and Morecambe.

This is one of the various reasons of many of how the country has ended up in the terrible state it is in nowadays.
I think that your are getting rather carried away with yourself here.

It is hardly something that people in general are going to get worried about other than the rather small number of people who remember GBTT table numbers.

Realistically virtually no one is going to be bothered by it, as most people just look at the TOC websites these days and have no concept of the GBTT which is very much a niche publication nowadays.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I think of all the reasons the country has ended up in a ‘terrible state’ (which is an arguable point), this must be right up there with Salt & Vinegar McCoys not being available in 6 packs any more.

JRT

I think that your are getting rather carried away with yourself here.

It is hardly something that people in general are going to get worried about other than the rather small number of people who remember GBTT table numbers.

Realistically virtually no one is going to be bothered by it, as most people just look at the TOC websites these days and have no concept of the GBTT which is very much a niche publication nowadays.
I’ve seen GBTT numbers crop up in some regional timetables and they're nationally recognised albeit by not many people.

The ABC guides/ Thomas Cook timetables had their own numbering scheme of course, but that's another story.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Many thanks for that.

Most (all) TOCs use their own timetable numbers. GWR (pre-Covid) produced a whole timetable book and no numbers matched the national publication.

sjm77

What exactly is "Route 16"?

It would have been far easier if Northern went by the table numbers instead of having their own numbering system
Thank you to Berneyarms for making the point that I had referenced Northern's website!

In some ways it is better that Northern do their own thing as their timetables are more representative of their services with the NRT out of sync. For example a proportion of Cumbrian Coast services from Carlisle continue beyond Barrow in Furness to Lancaster so Northern show them in one timetable but the NRT is split between Table 82 I think and maybe 100? (I may have my NRT table numbers wrong but that is irrelevant to the point).
Similarly Northern have a single timetable giving the full details of their Leeds-Chester and also Scarborough-Sheffield via Hull services.

LowLevel

Established Member
June 21st is looking likely to see a significant cut in EMR Regional services - resourcing issues are making things unworkable with large numbers of unpredictable cancellations so it is being chopped back to allow for route learning and traction training to take place, making things more robust when the timetable returns.

Llandudno

Established Member
June 21st is looking likely to see a significant cut in EMR Regional services - resourcing issues are making things unworkable with large numbers of unpredictable cancellations so it is being chopped back to allow for route learning and traction training to take place, making things more robust when the timetable returns.
All lockdown restrictions ending (hopefully) on the same date as EMR significantly cutting regional services, almost as bad as TfW!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The May Barnstaple- St James Park trains has been cut back to Exeter Central before running empty to reverse at Exmouth Junction siding.

At the time of the previous timetable I did say it was dangerous to tip out at an unmanned station as a child could be left there waiting for the next Exmouth service. I wonder if someone complained or maybe the train crew did not like tipping out at an unmanned station.
For year's at least one train a day has terminated at Shalford, which is unmanned. What is the difference, other than it's more services?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thank you to Berneyarms for making the point that I had referenced Northern's website!

In some ways it is better that Northern do their own thing as their timetables are more representative of their services with the NRT out of sync. For example a proportion of Cumbrian Coast services from Carlisle continue beyond Barrow in Furness to Lancaster so Northern show them in one timetable but the NRT is split between Table 82 I think and maybe 100? (I may have my NRT table numbers wrong but that is irrelevant to the point).
Similarly Northern have a single timetable giving the full details of their Leeds-Chester and also Scarborough-Sheffield via Hull services.
The Leeds to Chester timetable was introduced some time after the service started after I and others complained there wasn't one.

Many stations that had all services covered by the old Metro timetables now need 2 or 3 of the Northern ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.