• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

I see ‘The Norfolkman’ is making a return to join ‘The East Anglian’ on the GEML from 13th September. Both will be Norwich in 90 services.
And on WA The Fenman (or Fenperson) makes a return, though as a suburban Standard class EMU that doesn’t actually get to the Fens as the 17:07 ex Liv St is shown to terminate at Cambridge North it’s somewhat ironic named!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
And on WA The Fenman (or Fenperson) makes a return, though as a suburban Standard class EMU that doesn’t actually get to the Fens as the 17:07 ex Liv St is shown to terminate at Cambridge North it’s somewhat ironic named!
Hopefully there will be some super keen drivers that announce it properly.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's shown as a through train to Ling's Lynn in September. It used used to be a 12 car train with four cars to King's Lynn and eight to Cambridge North. It was split into two separate services last August when 379s were banned from splitting or joining off depot. A pair of 317s or 379s ran from Liverpool Street to Cambridge North with a 379 connecting at Cambridge for King's Lynn.

Hopefully there will be some super keen drivers that announce it properly.
I did the 17:07 last year when it was worked by 317s instead of 379s following the splitting in service incident. It was during the heatwave and the stock was fresh off Ilford depot; must have been 40 degrees inside. The driver was keen to point out that people for King's Lynn would need to change at Cambridge and that the replacement train should have air con "which we'll all benefit from!" Everyone except me, I stayed on the 317s and went back to Liverpool Street. I've no idea how I coped. I don't do well in hot weather. I think I was just glad to be out of the house.

Last edited:

RH Liner

Having looked on RTT yesterday and so far today at how our Robin Hood Line is faring, given the return to half-hourly trains and the speeding up to a level 30mins journey between Nottingham and Mansfield, the answer seems to be poorly. There is far too much red type showing up. With the amount of single track between Kirkby and Highbury Vale the passing loops at Newstead and Bestwood just don’t seem to cut it. It only takes one late runner to have a knock on effect on the whole service. This line is crying out to be re-doubled.

ChrisC

Established Member
Having looked on RTT yesterday and so far today at how our Robin Hood Line is faring, given the return to half-hourly trains and the speeding up to a level 30mins journey between Nottingham and Mansfield, the answer seems to be poorly. There is far too much red type showing up. With the amount of single track between Kirkby and Highbury Vale the passing loops at Newstead and Bestwood just don’t seem to cut it. It only takes one late runner to have a knock on effect on the whole service. This line is crying out to be re-doubled.
I agree but I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I always thought it was very short sighted when they removed the other track north of Hucknall up to Newstead. That is a long section which could be re-doubled. However, as others have sensibly pointed out in this forum, to run the current timetables reliably, that is not where the trains need to pass. It’s south of Hucknall where the problem is and that can’t be redoubled because of the Nottingham tram line. I think it’s just been a bad morning. Normally I think they do they very well to run on time considering the long single track sections and the intense timetable during the day.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How long before this gets revised to ‘The Norfolkperson’ ?
Best comment I’ve seen in days :lol:
Speaking of Norfolk, I’ve noticed there’s constantly engineering work closing several of the 755 routes. I hope the new timetable has a better Sunday service.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's shown as a through train to Ling's Lynn in September. It used used to be a 12 car train with four cars to King's Lynn and eight to Cambridge North. It was split into two separate services last August when 379s were banned from splitting or joining off depot. A pair of 317s or 379s ran from Liverpool Street to Cambridge North with a 379 connecting at Cambridge for King's Lynn.

I did the 17:07 last year when it was worked by 317s instead of 379s following the splitting in service incident. It was during the heatwave and the stock was fresh off Ilford depot; must have been 40 degrees inside. The driver was keen to point out that people for King's Lynn would need to change at Cambridge and that the replacement train should have air con "which we'll all benefit from!" Everyone except me, I stayed on the 317s and went back to Liverpool Street. I've no idea how I coped. I don't do well in hot weather. I think I was just glad to be out of the house.

Reminds me of some of the peak time 319 services out of Euston when the units were sitting in the Camden sunshine most of the day, a case of boarding and opening all the windows to get fresh air through. Probably the same with some of the 321s which spent most of the day sitting on the sidings.

Established Member
I see ‘The Norfolkman’ is making a return to join ‘The East Anglian’ on the GEML from 13th September. Both will be Norwich in 90 services.
Good to see someone still has a sense of history.

We did try to get the 17.00 Liverpool St to Ilford named The Eastender once, but that was a joke too far for the commercial department.

dk1

Veteran Member

We did try to get the 17.00 Liverpool St to Ilford named The Eastender once, but that was a joke too far for the commercial department.
Spoil sports.

Best comment I’ve seen in days :lol:
Speaking of Norfolk, I’ve noticed there’s constantly engineering work closing several of the 755 routes. I hope the new timetable has a better Sunday service.
Engineering Work hasn’t been too bad on locals until recently. Looks like Yarmouth/Lowestoft & West of Thetford shut this Saturday. Not sure what’s being done.

MedwayValiant

It has been noted upthread that the new stations at Bow Street near Aberystwyth and Kintore neat Aberdeen have been entirely omitted from the Electronic National Rail Timetable, although the relevant operators do include them on their own timetables. This is not entirely satisfactory, it's fair to say.

I've discovered at least two sections of route which are also entirely omitted. According to Table 53 there is no slow line service between Leicester and Loughborough calling at intermediate stations (what used to be the Ivanhoe Line service), and according to Table 117 there is no service between West Ealing and Greenford. Both of those sections of routes are ones which might reasonably be left temporarily unserved if it were not possible to run all services, so it would be unfortunate if anyone got the impression that they are indeed currently unserved. They're not, as one can see from operators' own timetables.

Who needs to be told about those omissions if they are to be rectified for the revised ENRT to be published in the middle of June? Or is it safe to assume that that person already knows?

berneyarms

Established Member
It has been noted upthread that the new stations at Bow Street near Aberystwyth and Kintore neat Aberdeen have been entirely omitted from the Electronic National Rail Timetable, although the relevant operators do include them on their own timetables. This is not entirely satisfactory, it's fair to say.

I've discovered at least two sections of route which are also entirely omitted. According to Table 53 there is no slow line service between Leicester and Loughborough calling at intermediate stations (what used to be the Ivanhoe Line service), and according to Table 117 there is no service between West Ealing and Greenford. Both of those sections of routes are ones which might reasonably be left temporarily unserved if it were not possible to run all services, so it would be unfortunate if anyone got the impression that they are indeed currently unserved. They're not, as one can see from operators' own timetables.

Who needs to be told about those omissions if they are to be rectified for the revised ENRT to be published in the middle of June? Or is it safe to assume that that person already knows?
Take it as read that they have been told ;)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Notice XC's 1545 Cardiff to Nottingham has been worked with a single Voyager since the timetable change. Thought it was just a one off lack of 170s available but wondering now if it's more permanent, or just sheer coincidence?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Notice XC's 1545 Cardiff to Nottingham has been worked with a single Voyager since the timetable change. Thought it was just a one off lack of 170s available but wondering now if it's more permanent, or just sheer coincidence?

Post on FB says permanent from change

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's currently an all day diagram, I imagine this is in connection with the doubling up of (virtually) all Turbostar diagrams. It forms the following passenger services:

0649 BHM-NOT 0808
0839 NOT-BHM 0958
1012 BHM-NOT 1122
1207 NOT-CDF 1525
1545 CDF-NOT 1906
1934 NOT-BHM 2058

berneyarms

Established Member
1903/07 EUS-LPL is still missing - how many years now?
That’s clearly a glitch in how the data in table 65 is being pulled - that train is the only non-stop Euston-Runcorn service. Perhaps incorrect parameters are being used?

Veteran Member
That’s clearly a glitch in how the data in table 65 is being pulled - that train is the only non-stop Euston-Runcorn service. Perhaps incorrect parameters are being used?
Interesting thought. It currently calls at MKC but is still missing... :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

"The Valentine" surely (after the Ilford Park) - or "The Cranbrook" (after the fairly well known Griggs built estate of 1898 or so)

(Sense and knowledge of local history is vital IMHO)

Alfie1014

"The Valentine" surely (after the Ilford Park) - or "The Cranbrook" (after the fairly well known Griggs built estate of 1898 or so)

(Sense and knowledge of local history is vital IMHO)
And the watercourse which I assume flows into the River Roding, not to be confused with the nearby Alders Brook!

bramling

Veteran Member

Good to see EMR keeping its named trains, though hidden away in the timetable as usual.

Last edited:

Fair point.
It’s a strange one all right.
I believe it's the only train from London to Runcorn/Liverpool that doesn't call at Crewe or Stafford, if that helps solve the mystery?

David Turner

19.02 (until 10th September/19.07 from 13th September) from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street

As you’ll see in post 1121 I’ve been monitoring this train for the last five or six years and have even emailed Network Rail twice. Unfortunately I don’t archive my messages for more than two years so haven’t got the reply, but the first email had a response from them saying they would include it in the next timetable. About a year later I emailed again, but no reply this time and as I said, its now five or six years since this service was shown in Table 65. Its regularly appeared in the local Crewe to Liverpool table. From memory I think its only been shown in one timetable when it was first retimed to run non stop from Euston to Runcorn. Good luck to anybody who emails Network Rail – at least I have tried.

As a follow on to The Norfolkman and The Eastender, perhaps Avanti should name this service The Ghost Train.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It's currently an all day diagram, I imagine this is in connection with the doubling up of (virtually) all Turbostar diagrams. It forms the following passenger services:

0649 BHM-NOT 0808
0839 NOT-BHM 0958
1012 BHM-NOT 1122
1207 NOT-CDF 1525
1545 CDF-NOT 1906
1934 NOT-BHM 2058
It's a Turbo today (170636).

Table 117 in the up direction from NR download misses almost all trains other than those starting at Heathrow! Down looks ok. Needs to do rather better.

Status
Not open for further replies.