• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVUpminster

For year's at least one train a day has terminated at Shalford, which is unmanned. What is the difference, other than it's more services?
If it's a terminal station then the train crew are still there until they depart. Passengers at a terminal station should be leaving the station or waiting to get on a train. At a through station such as St James Park characters of a dubious nature have an excuse to remain on a platform.

I am still wondering why GWR made the change? Perhaps someone knows? Maybe there is no CCTV?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tommy2215

If it's a terminal station then the train crew are still there until they depart. Passengers at a terminal station should be leaving the station or waiting to get on a train. At a through station such as St James Park characters of a dubious nature have an excuse to remain on a platform.

I am still wondering why GWR made the change? Perhaps someone knows? Maybe there is no CCTV?
Shalford is a through station. Bedwyn is a through, unstaffed station where DOO trains regularly terminate. Probably it was cut short at Exeter Central because of very few passengers.

southern442

Established Member
Shalford is a through station. Bedwyn is a through, unstaffed station where DOO trains regularly terminate. Probably it was cut short at Exeter Central because of very few passengers.
Not only that but Shalford and Bedwyn are far more remote, so arguably far more dangerous. Last year quite a few GWR services terminated at Shalford during the day too.

Class 170101

Established Member
June 21st is looking likely to see a significant cut in EMR Regional services - resourcing issues are making things unworkable with large numbers of unpredictable cancellations so it is being chopped back to allow for route learning and traction training to take place, making things more robust when the timetable returns.

That just sounds like sheer madness given that we are being told, pretty much, its going to be a staycation summer and they run services to the Lincolnshire Coast.

Perhaps Derby to Crewe services withdrawn west of Stoke and services between Nottingham and Liverpool but frankly thats not a lot.

REVUpminster

Not only that but Shalford and Bedwyn are far more remote, so arguably far more dangerous. Last year quite a few GWR services terminated at Shalford during the day too.
An inner city station is far more dangerous. Exeter along with Torquay, Plymouth, and Newquay is a county lines drop off point.

In April 2021 Exeter had 481 reported incidents. 189 were antisocial and 124 violent crime. drugs though only 18.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
An inner city station is far more dangerous. Exeter along with Torquay, Plymouth, and Newquay is a county lines drop off point.

In April 2021 Exeter had 481 reported incidents. 189 were antisocial and 124 violent crime. drugs though only 18.
Why is a terminating service more at risk than a through service?

LowLevel

Established Member
That just sounds like sheer madness given that we are being told, pretty much, its going to be a staycation summer and they run services to the Lincolnshire Coast.

Perhaps Derby to Crewe services withdrawn west of Stoke and services between Nottingham and Liverpool but frankly thats not a lot.
Nottingham driver depot will be losing a significant number of diagrams to facilitate 170 training and route learning. Remains to be seen what the timetable will look like.

Failed Unit

Established Member

To me it depends what they do.
cutting back Nottingham- Matlock to create Derby - Matlock or running Mansfield - Nottingham hourly off peak may not put many people out.

cutting some off the less frequent services will inconvenience the passengers more such as the Lincolnshire ones with no alternative.

Starmill

Veteran Member
To me it depends what they do.
cutting back Nottingham- Matlock to create Derby - Matlock or running Mansfield - Nottingham hourly off peak may not put many people out.

cutting some off the less frequent services will inconvenience the passengers more such as the Lincolnshire ones with no alternative.
Do any of these ideas actually save any driver diagrams?

Failed Unit

Established Member
that is a good question, I suspect it will mean a re-writing of the diagrams. If I take Nottingham- Mansfield it takes the train / crew around 2 hours. But the unit then goes to Worksop. Understand your point the crew could go to Liverpool next. But surely combining such cuts it would be possible to eliminate diagrams?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Whilst the saving in crew from such changes is rarely proportionate to the reduction in train miles etc., there would undoubtedly be some saving.

Unfortunately to achieve any worthwhile sort of saving, will likely entail a fairly substantial pruning of the service. Probably heading in the direction of the sort of service EMR's sister company WMT are currently running.

Starmill

Veteran Member
that is a good question, I suspect it will mean a re-writing of the diagrams. If I take Nottingham- Mansfield it takes the train / crew around 2 hours. But the unit then goes to Worksop. Understand your point the crew could go to Liverpool next. But surely combining such cuts it would be possible to eliminate diagrams?
Generally to eliminate a diagram you'd need to cancel all of the work, unless you can find partial cover but then that rather defeats the point. Cutting a service back short isn't necessarily going to do that.

REVUpminster

Why is a terminating service more at risk than a through service?
It isn't.
Go back to the start 1211 of my original post. I am trying to work out why GWR now tip out at a manned station Exeter Central than as before at ST James Park (unmanned) before reversing at Exmouth Junction. My views does not seem to find favour.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It isn't.
Go back to the start 1211 of my original post. I am trying to work out why GWR now tip out at a manned station Exeter Central than as before at ST James Park (unmanned) before reversing at Exmouth Junction. My views does not seem to find favour.

Because there was very little demand beyond Exeter Central - at a future date these services will run through to Pinhoe (also unstaffed) where there is greater demand.

dk1

Veteran Member
At the time of the previous timetable I did say it was dangerous to tip out at an unmanned station as a child could be left there waiting for the next Exmouth service. I wonder if someone complained or maybe the train crew did not like tipping out at an unmanned station.
Would make no difference. Stations being manned or otherwise is of no consequence.

REVUpminster

Because there was very little demand beyond Exeter Central - at a future date these services will run through to Pinhoe (also unstaffed) where there is greater demand.
Still degrading a service for little point. Takes no longer to tip out at St James as Exeter Central.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The Manchester Airport to Liverpool semi-fasts are back :) some are 3-car instead of 6, but better than nothing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But surely combining such cuts it would be possible to eliminate diagrams?
I imagine that this is the case, however it may need the entire depot's diagrams to be re-written and approved again. In general I think this would only happen at a timetable change date and would take some resources to achieve.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I imagine that this is the case, however it may need the entire depot's diagrams to be re-written and approved again. In general I think this would only happen at a timetable change date and would take some resources to achieve.
Rewriting an entire depot's diagrams is a massive job, but there is no need for approval if it is implemented as an STP timetable. It's then equivalent to engineering works.

It's certainly not something that would be done lightly but it's not impossible.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Rewriting an entire depot's diagrams is a massive job, but there is no need for approval if it is implemented as an STP timetable. It's then equivalent to engineering works.

It's certainly not something that would be done lightly but it's not impossible.
Indeed I would agree there. The next obvious question I would have is, is STP work equivalently flexible in terms of the start and finish times and shift length etc? Indeed I have absolutely no idea what practice would be in this case, I'm just pointing out that it's generally easier to save unit diagrams than crew diagrams because the units will do any work they're technically capable of (correct electrification type, suitable performance characteristics etc) and cleared for, and don't have "rights".

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Indeed I would agree there. The next obvious question I would have is, is STP work equivalently flexible in terms of the start and finish times and shift length etc? Indeed I have absolutely no idea what practice would be in this case, I'm just pointing out that it's generally easier to save unit diagrams than crew diagrams because the units will do any work they're technically capable of (correct electrification type, suitable performance characteristics etc) and cleared for, and don't have "rights".
Obviously this depends on the conditions that have been agreed, but when you have a depot as large as Nottingham, it's generally not going to be impossible to fit a reduced set of STP diagrams into the existing roster. EMR have been quoted as having 2-2.5 hours spare movement for regional drivers, so that gives a decent level of flexibility to reallocate work.

Tomnick

Established Member

There's provision under the Covid agreement, at our place at least, for all STP diagrams to be scrutinised - not least because changes on this scale really aren't equivalent to the consequences of engineering work! Indeed, one clause in our T&Cs explicitly limits the flexibility if it's a change not related to engineering works.

It's better for all concerned to engage and agree a temporary roster in situations like this, because trying to work with a base roster where most of the content within has been cancelled (and, crucially, where a driver whose booked turn has been cancelled can't be compelled to work a longer turn than originally booked) makes life difficult for all concerned at a time when we really need to be working together to make the most of a bad job.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
There is often also a maximum time limit for the same STP amendment being applied to crew diagrams -6 weeks seems to be typical - therefore a wholesale STP-rewrite of the booked workings can only be a temporary solution and certainly not a replacement for the Long Term Plan re-linking process. It may be that some instances during Covid have seen local agreements put in place to bend / modify these rules of course.

JRT

Thanks, hopefully a sign it will return and not quietly dropp

GOOD NEWS!!

From 7 June

06:20 Wakefield Kirkgate – Huddersfield, the morning
07:03 Huddersfield – Castleford returning 07:58,
and the two afternoon
16:03, 18:03 Huddersfield – Castleford returning 16:58, 18:58
are RAIL operated.

(source RTT)

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
There are a nuber of errors in the connecting bus services between Barton and Hull in Table 28 of the eNRT. The feed in RTT and the EMR printed timetable are both correct.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
GOOD NEWS!!

From 7 June

07:03 Huddersfield – Castleford trip,
and the two afternoon
16:03, 18:03 Huddersfield – Castleford trips
are RAIL operated.

(source RTT)
Looks like the 0758, 1658 and 1858 from Castleford to Huddersfield are running now too.

northernchris

Established Member
GOOD NEWS!!

From 7 June

07:03 Huddersfield – Castleford trip,
and the two afternoon
16:03, 18:03 Huddersfield – Castleford trips
are RAIL operated.

(source RTT)

Thanks, they returned much quicker than I thought

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
June 21st is looking likely to see a significant cut in EMR Regional services - resourcing issues are making things unworkable with large numbers of unpredictable cancellations so it is being chopped back to allow for route learning and traction training to take place, making things more robust when the timetable returns.
So much for learning the lessons from May 2018 TT fiasco.

dk1

Veteran Member
So much for learning the lessons from May 2018 TT fiasco.
I would imagine that’s long forgotten within the industry by now. Has been a couple of things that appeared to conspire against EMR though such as crew shortage & unit availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.