• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGills and Daytrippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do McGills still not (officially) accept Daytrippers?

They're not on the list of participating operators: http://www.spt.co.uk/travelcards/day-tickets/

Can anything be done about this? Does anyone know why they don't accept them? Is there an argument over money?

What are the chances of the tickets being accepted? I've found they are sometimes accepted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
I googled it and there were forum messages about this 10 years ago, so it is unlikely to change now.

extendedpaul

McGills do not have an equivalent day ticket either. When we used a Daytripper ticket recently it was a pain not being able to use their buses around the Greenock/Gourock area where they are the main operator.

Strathclyde Daytripper definitely not valid. I asked twice !

overthewater

Established Member
Strange thing is Mcgills do have daytickets just not for the InverClyde area, there is a day ticket for kids.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
McGills do not have an equivalent day ticket either. When we used a Daytripper ticket recently it was a pain not being able to use their buses around the Greenock/Gourock area where they are the main operator.

Strathclyde Daytripper definitely not valid. I asked twice !

Yeah its an oddity, to be honest they probably want the money directly from the paying public...

Last edited:

Flying Snail

Established Member
There are a lot of operators that accept the SPT Zonecard but not the Daytripper.

http://www.spt.co.uk/travelcards/zonecard/

Obviously McGills are the biggest and most inconvenient one to be excluded but there is a substantial number of operators on that list.

Judging by the link you posted, if the service is SPT-funded they'll accept it, if the service is commercial they won't.

The vast majority are commercial with only a small number of infrequent routes and odd off-peak services on otherwise commercial routes SPT supported.

Yeah its an oddity, to be honest they probably want the money directly from the paying public...

Most operators really want people on their own day/week/month tickets, not only to get the revenue but to keep it out of their competitors, however that would be more relevant to commuters or day return users. The likelihood is that anyone wanting a daytripper will buy it anyway and they will actively avoid non-participating operators, I find it hard to imagine there is any net revenue gain from not being included.

Obviously the revenue from the commuter tickets is too much for the operators to turn down, whether the lack of parity on the datripper is down to the operators wanting a bigger cut or SPT just not actively keeping the product updated is the question.

A policy that to be included in Zonecard bus companies must also accept other multi-operator tickets would seem to be the most logical, however it has always seemed to me that SPT is one of the poorer PTEs when it comes to regulating and promoting the bus services in their region.

It is all the more disappointing considering Arriva accepted the ticket so validity has been reduced significantly with their routes going to McGills (not accompanied by a reduction in the ticket price I'm sure). Also you have to wonder that if Stagecoach are getting enough revenue to allow it on their network of express services why more local operators cannot accept it?

overthewater

Established Member
A few points here:

* SPT daytripper is valid on Trains, so you at least can get between towns, and thats the main reason for Daytripper still going.

* Stagecoach has better range of Megariders than the zone cards

AYR-Glasgow:
£62.60 with Zone card:

£38.00 Megarider plus for local travel around Ayr is only £9.80
£15.50 For First Glasgow
Still save money buying three tickets:

Cumbernauld - Glasgow:
£29.00 with Zone card:
Stagecoach Megarider £16.00

superted81

The reason I opted for the Zonecard for Ayr to Glasgow instead of the megariders, was purely the chance to get the train if I wanted to. The X77 is hourly after 1900, the train is still every 30 minutes.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
A few points here:

* SPT daytripper is valid on Trains, so you at least can get between towns, and thats the main reason for Daytripper still going.

* Stagecoach has better range of Megariders than the zone cards

AYR-Glasgow:
£62.60 with Zone card:

£38.00 Megarider plus for local travel around Ayr is only £9.80
£15.50 For First Glasgow
Still save money buying three tickets:

Cumbernauld - Glasgow:
£29.00 with Zone card:
Stagecoach Megarider £16.00

The £15.50 FirstWeekly is only for 'Local' Zones, whereas the 'City' is £17.00 and a 'Network' is £21.00

317 forever

Established Member
A poor aspect of the takeover of Arriva Scotland West by McGills is that Daytrippers ceased to be valid on these Arriva routes when taken over by McGills.

Status
Not open for further replies.