• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
McGills are implementing revised emergency timetables from Saturday 28th, timetables to be available from 12 p.m. on Friday.

VHS501

Weekday timetable further reduced but Sunday services remain unchanged so far.
As a result some services will now run less frequently on weekdays than they do on Sundays. Service 26 now 30 min frequency on weekdays but still every 10 mins on Sundays (daytime) between Paisley and Breahead.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Not reported so far, but all the Renfrewshire services are operating out of Inchinnan depot, with Johnstone depot currently non-operational. It’s been like that since the beginning of last week, and produces some interesting allocations, which you can now see live on their app.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
McGills and First accepting each other’s tickets in First 9A and McGills 38. See www.firstglasgow.com/9 for further info. A sensible move for customers of both companies in this time.

There’s similar cooperation between McGills and Stagecoach, including between Glasgow and QEUH. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/...up-to-increase-travel-options-for-key-workers

Additionally the timetable on the 9A and 38 are being coordinated to offer a consistent 15 minute frequency during the day.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
McGills and First accepting each other’s tickets in First 9A and McGills 38. See www.firstglasgow.com/9 for further info. A sensible move for customers of both companies in this time.

There’s similar cooperation between McGills and Stagecoach, including between Glasgow and QEUH. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/...up-to-increase-travel-options-for-key-workers

Of course, there would be no requirement for ticket acceptance if the buses in the SPT area were operated under their control, similar to London as it is a flat fare system.

Mancman

Of course, there would be no requirement for ticket acceptance if the buses in the SPT area were operated under their control, similar to London as it is a flat fare system.
Yes - at a cost of a £722 million annual subsidy to run the London bus network

CM

SPT couldn't run a hot bath never mind the regions bus services. If anything SPT should be dissolved with tendered bus services becoming the responsibility of the local councils and the Subway either being tagged onto the Scotrail franchise or operated by Glasgow City Council(not that they could do any better than SPT)

Stan Drews

Established Member
I wouldn’t trust SPT to run me a bath! o_O

NorthClyde320

SPT couldn't run a hot bath never mind the regions bus services. If anything SPT should be dissolved with tendered bus services becoming the responsibility of the local councils and the Subway either being tagged onto the Scotrail franchise or operated by Glasgow City Council(not that they could do any better than SPT)

Well i for one hope that never happens, yes i do agree that the SPT could be better run or manged, but if tendered services are ever put in the hands of the local councils, with the cuts councils are making you can bet bus services would be the first to be cut, evening and Sunday services would disappear, just look at the Falkirk and Stirling areas, all council evening and Sunday services cut to the bone, even England council areas are the same.

overthewater

Established Member
Maybe thats was SPT needs, because some of the routes are highly questionable. Problem is Falkirk has no night life, while Stirling well if it wasn't for the Uni it would be dead parrot.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Would love to see a rework of SPTs route tendering and for some routes to be considered. A lot of the SPT tendered services that I've seen either run very empty or completely empty. I'm sure there's routes that could be created that people would use far more

markymark2000

On Moderation
Would love to see a rework of SPTs route tendering and for some routes to be considered. A lot of the SPT tendered services that I've seen either run very empty or completely empty. I'm sure there's routes that could be created that people would use far more
A good chunk of SPTs routes I notice look like they have been made by someone having a map of the SPT area and throwing thin rope down (has anyone played Silly Spaghetti board game? That is what I mean). Evening buses serve areas which daytime routes don't. When they do follow the same route, different numbers are used. When they go different ways, the same numbers are used.
You would have a better network if you gave a 2 year old a map and some crayons.

smtglasgow

Yes, I’d like to see SPT rip it all up and start again. The reason for some routes/routings is now lost in time – usually because a councillor shouted loudly. If they used the same budget but tried to fill the gaps in the commercial network in a more sensible/logical way it would help more people. Staying on topic, McGills run the 310 past the bottom of my road and it runs empty between Shettleston & Baillieston practically all day – but still runs into the late evening. It’s been running like that all my life – think the 310 dates from about 1990 – without anyone appearing to check if it’s still needed.

overthewater

Established Member
More cuts at Mcgills to take place on Monday 27th April because of the on going situltion.
EWTdkhCXQAEjht7.png
1/1A Revised timetable operating approximately every 80 mins
11 Will not operate after 2115 Monday to Saturday. Revised Sunday timetable operating every 90 mins
64 Revised Sunday service operating every 2 hours. Please note that this refers to our SPT 64 between Glasgow and Halfway
71/71A Normal timetable Monday to Saturday on 71A. Saturday morning 71 will not operate. Sunday evening 71A will not operate
72 The 1830 journey from Glasgow to Kirkintilloch
81/81A/81B Will not operate after 2143 Monday to Saturday. Revised Sunday timetable operating every 2 hours
118 Will not operate after 2201 Monday to Saturday. Revised Sunday timetable operating every 2 hours
121 THis service will not operate after 2145 each evening
132 No evening journeys. Sunday daytime service will continue to operate as normal until 1734
141 Monday to Saturday timetable will continue as normal. Revised Sunday timetable operating every 90 minutes
164 Revised Monday to Saturday evening timetable operating every 2 hours. On Sunday the service will be suspended
165 Normal Monday to Saturday timetable. On Sunday the service will not operate after 2000
172/172A A revised timetable will be introduced running every 2 hours. All journeys will follow the 172 route
178/178A/178B A revised timetable will be introduced running every 2 hours. All journeys will follow the 178 route
202 Normal service Monday to Saturday. Will not operate after 2204 on Sundays
208/218 Minor alterations Monday to Saturday. Daytime only on Sundays, approx. hourly only 208 and 218
245 Revised timetable running every 2 hours
247 every hour to Cumbernauld, continuing to Smithstone or Kirkintilloch every 2 hours
307 Revised timetable running every 90 minutes
310 Revised timetable Monday to Saturday, finishing 1845. Operates every 2 hours on Sundays.
312 Normal service Monday to Saturday. Will operate until 1845 on Sundays
330 Every 90 mins Monday to Saturday. Operates hourly on Sundays until 1930
331 Every 90 mins Monday to Saturday. Operates hourly on Sundays until 1945
337 Normal timetable until 1900 Monday to Saturday. Revised Sunday timetable with no evening journeys.
364 1850 journey from Parkhead to Newton Farm will not operate. All other journeys will operate as normal.
374 Revised timetable operating every 2 hours
395 Revised timetable operating every 2 hours
507 Normal hourly daytime service. Revised evening timetable operating every 20 mins
576/578 Monday to Saturday 578 will not operate after 2315. On Sundays 576 will not operate after 2215
X6A Revised timetable operating every 90 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotrail88

Looks like SPT have finally got their arse in gear, with both McGill’s and First making significant reductions to tendered work.
Or most likely the losses sustained are no longer sustainable for operators.
Remember that these are revenue risk to operators so could be costly.
Sure SPT won’t put their hand in to assist when the a%*e falls out of it.

NorthClyde320

Do mcgills still have any of there BMC buses left as they look odd but have never been on one?

Both the BMC's were scrapped in Feb, a couple of the ex Silverdale Solos have been scrapped with the rest withdrawn along with the Primo. The 4 ex McNairn Solos acquired were all scrapped too without entering service.

Zakforbes4

Gutted. My housemate owns an ex-First London Marshall! :lol:
Both the BMC's were scrapped in Feb, a couple of the ex Silverdale Solos have been scrapped with the rest withdrawn along with the Primo. The 4 ex McNairn Solos acquired were all scrapped too without entering service.
Why scrap them they're only about 10 year old?

CM

why scrap them there only about 10 year old

Because they were non-standard and most likley nobody else wanted to buy them due to being an uncommon type of vehicle. The same applies to the Primo.

NorthClyde320

why scrap them there only about 10 year old

I think the BMC's had become too unreliable and it was probably getting too difficult or expensive to fix/get parts for them also what Colin M said aswell. I think most operators are buying Primos for spare parts, most of McNairn's are now like this.

Bus Guru

Have Mc Gills buses got social distancing information e.g. Signs telling passengers which seats that cannot be used as used in First bus

How many useable seats would there be in a Citaro say?

gnolife

Established Member
Have Mc Gills buses got social distancing information e.g. Signs telling passengers which seats that cannot be used as used in First bus

How many useable seats would there be in a Citaro say?
Only for the seats immediately behind the driver - it's a free for all otherwise

CM

Only for the seats immediately behind the driver - it's a free for all otherwise

It's the same at First Glasgow. The seats directly oposite the driver on the E400MMCs have been taped off and a sign fitted whilst people can and do just sit wherever they want elsewhere on the bus. I know social distancing isn't followed on my regular morning bus to work.