• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

overthewater

Established Member
Make of that as you will, but its been rumoured for years....

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/news/mcgills-intends-to-double-in-size.aspx
OR
http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/...greenock-bus-firm-intends-to-double-in-size-/

McGill's Buses has revealed ambitious plans to double the size of the company in the next 5 years'.

This comes after our recent record profits and we plan to continue growth by bidding for more contracts and taking over smaller organisations, where possible.

With both our turnover and profit before tax up by nearly £1.5 million to £35 million in 2014, owners Sandy & James Easdale plan to create more jobs in our Greenock Head Office.

The company is moving in the right direction following an investigation by the Competition Commission into the takeover of Arriva in 2012.

Sandy Easdale said: "It's all about growth and now that were moving forward since the Competition Commission it's about growing McGill's. That's the aim - in the next 5 years' double everything.

"We are looking at expanding in Lanarkshire in the near future and we are in discussions with some smaller companies to be buying them out in the area and that will join into McGill's.

"But the good thing about it is that every time McGill's grows outside the area it actually employs people in the Greenock Head Office. It's all about employment.

"It would be easy to move our head office elsewhere but we stay in Greenock and we're great supporters of the local economy.

"We're concentrating on our own things and growing our business organically.

"There's no point in going into other people's territories and causing situations, if there's contracts to be won then obviously we'll tender for contracts but you find organic growth is easier - buying another small competitor - that seems to be the way forward for us."

McGill's is continuing to reinvest profits to help improve the business. Around 50 new buses have been purchased in the last year, with more on order.

Sandy Easdale said: "We are very happy with the figures this year, obviously we hope to retain and grow the business at the same time.

"But we've reinvested a lot - we've bought 50 buses in the last 12 months so there's been a lot of capital investment and hopefully we can mirror that next year.

"We already have another 20 vehicles on order for the end of this year and there's another 20 coming in at the beginning of next year, so we're on target for renewing a lot of investment.

"Put it all back in and it should grow and pay off.

"There's no sense in sitting on money in the bank or taking big dividends, you can grow the money in the business better."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
I would like to see McGills take over West Coast Motors. This would give them a welcome expansion to Oban, Campbeltown and Dunoon as well as more buses in Glasgow.

overthewater

Established Member
Glasgow City bus has been cutting back its Glasgow operations ( in case anyone does not know Glasgow City bus is West coast motors company in Glasgow).

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Glasgow City bus has been cutting back its Glasgow operations ( in case anyone does not know Glasgow City bus is West coast motors company in Glasgow).

A lot of people still use the 15, 16 and 17 though. I know they have either gave up or lost SPT tendered routes but I hope McGill's don't try to make a move for them or move elsewhere in Glasgow.

They've now gained a large presence in Lanarkshire since the demise of Henderson Travel., so surely that should suffice them for the time being...

overthewater

Established Member
A lot of people still use the 15, 16 and 17 though. I know they have either gave up or lost SPT tendered routes but I hope McGill's don't try to make a move for them or move elsewhere in Glasgow.

They've now gained a large presence in Lanarkshire since the demise of Henderson Travel., so surely that should suffice them for the time being...

Service 15 has been cut back from every 30mins to every 40mins, Service 16 been axed. I agree, hopeful Mcgills will look at Lanarkshire first.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Glasgow Citybus was bought by West Coast Motors in 2006, if memory serves.

Despite cutting back on their services in recent months (the 84's demise surprised me a little, though), GCB's 'flagship' route, the 17 (Duntocher - Central Station via Bearsden & Maryhill) remains a well-loaded service (buses are often full even before leaving Faifley city-bound in the weekday morning peaks). Can't see that particular service going anywhere anytime soon, to be honest...

overthewater

Established Member
And so it begins: http://www.inverclydenow.com/photostream/16249-mcnairn

GREENOCK-based bus firm McGill's -- Scotland’s largest privately-owned public transport operator -- has acquired the routes and vehicles of Coatbridge-based McNairn Coaches (including JJ Travel), for an undisclosed sum.

The acquisition will see McGill’s take over the operation of McNairn’s four commercial routes. The 14 staff involved will be offered continued employment with McGill’s. The number of vehicles involved in the deal is still to be confirmed.

Ralph Roberts, managing director of McGill’s said: “I am delighted to have concluded this deal with John McNairn. John has operated services in Lanarkshire for many years, as did his father before him.

“The acquisition, our first in Lanarkshire since the opening of our Blantyre depot in March 2015, fits well with planned growth targets for our company’s development in Lanarkshire and beyond. The synergies with McGill’s existing operations in the local area are obvious and will give our customers even better value on our network tickets.”

McGill’s currently employs around 1,000 staff, operating 400 buses across 110 routes. It has depots in Greenock, Barrhead, Blantyre, Inchinnan and Johnstone.

THarris123

Established Member
Those profits look a bit odd - how many years is that jump of 33.5m? - edit: ignore me I've re-read it.

Seems a bit odd to jump up by that much - when I was in Glasgow I thought they were quite a small company.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Those profits look a bit odd - how many years is that jump of 33.5m? - edit: ignore me I've re-read it.

Seems a bit odd to jump up by that much - when I was in Glasgow I thought they were quite a small company.

Glasgow is not there main operational area, expect for the Govan area.

overthewater

Established Member
Word on the street is another acquisition has taken place in Monklands, with a formal announcement due soon. If its correct its another father and son operation.

overthewater

Established Member
The revise network will take place on 4 April. The last big bus company left in Monklands is Silverdale, Lets see how before there fall into line.

After which there is three other smaller companies with one route each.

overthewater

Established Member
Cheers for that information. I dare say we might see some more buses from Ensign appear shortly for the new monklands routes.

overthewater

Established Member
So, how long until McGills get referred to the Competition Commission again? At this rate, there won't be any other operators to the west of the Glasgow urban region. :lol:

Why? Monkland is like the wild west, there still use minibuses and most routes only operate between 7am - 6pm. 99% of all routes in the evenings and Sundays are paid for by SPT. There is no weekly tickets, and the whole area is a mess. Even if McGills buys Silverdale, the area will still three other bus companies plus FIRST.

If McGills can come in clean up the town, create a uniformed network, and increase passengers numbers, i say let them get on with it.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
So, how long until McGills get referred to the Competition Commission again? At this rate, there won't be any other operators to the west of the Glasgow urban region. :lol:

Why would they get referred to the Competition Commission ? What have they done ?

overthewater

Established Member
I think this is from today, and if you read what written, we can only expect a few more buyouts this year.

http://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/40-enviro200s-mcgills-buses/
McGill’s Buses has added 40 Enviro200s to its fleet as part of a £4.5m deal. MD of McGill’s, Ralph Roberts, said, ‘We like the Alexander Dennis product, particularly the 10.8m, 39 seat version of the Enviro200. It handles well, performs superbly in terms of fuel economy, reliability and ease of maintenance, and is popular with both drivers and passengers. We have ambitious growth plans for 2016 and I am confident that our continuous investment in quality vehicles like the Enviro200, a focused approach by our management team and sound supplier relationships such as the one we enjoy with Alexander Dennis Ltd – plus the unswerving commitment and backing of our owners – will continue to drive the business forward this year, and beyond.’

Last year, McGill’s leapt 50 places to join the leading 400 companies in Scotland’s league table of top performing businesses. Ralph Roberts anticipates further expansion in the months ahead.

overthewater

Established Member
It should be noted NONE of the services have been registered yet, and the start date is still for the 4 April. Make of that as you well.

Volvodart

Established Member
The registrations have been in the VOSA system for a couple of weeks now, but they have not yet appeared in the daily listings.

overthewater

Established Member
The registrations have been in the VOSA system for a couple of weeks now, but they have not yet appeared in the daily listings.

Can you say there wont be any surprises?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
#####

Im starting to get the feeling a surprise could be on the cards.

overthewater

Established Member

317 forever

Established Member
McGills are not the only company expanding in southern Scotland. In February West Coast Motors took over Perrymans' in Berwick & the Borders.