• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

route101

Established Member
Do many use the bus beyond Paisley from Glasgow? Might be better linking the railway station at Johnstone with useful and frequent buses. In my experience if interchanging both buses have to be frequent and preferably a bus station.

Was looking at McGills website, needs an update, still have Monklands network map up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sannox

I wouldn't feel too great about waiting in Johnstone Centre during the night, having been through at night, it doesn't look that nice a place to wait. If they redeveloped the town centre and made it a proper transport hub, I'd reconsider.

Can't remember the exact numbers, but a change of mode, in particular buses at an unmanned facility really hammers passenger throughput. People really struggle to trust the connections in a way trains etc avoid.

Do many use the bus beyond Paisley from Glasgow? Might be better linking the railway station at Johnstone with useful and frequent buses. In my experience if interchanging both buses have to be frequent and preferably a bus station.

Was looking at McGills website, needs an update, still have Monklands network map up.

Yes and no. The PRW route does mainly see people leave at Paisley but there is a fair number from the west end of Paisley who use the buses to Ibrox/QUEH and there is a small cross town flow.

route101

Established Member
Can't remember the exact numbers, but a change of mode, in particular buses at an unmanned facility really hammers passenger throughput. People really struggle to trust the connections in a way trains etc avoid.

Yes and no. The PRW route does mainly see people leave at Paisley but there is a fair number from the west end of Paisley who use the buses to Ibrox/QUEH and there is a small cross town flow.

Yes, I try and connect at a busy bus stop with frequent services. Trains feel different and though they can have problems, they just feel more realiable. I prefer waiting at a station rather than the side of road.

Volvodart

Established Member
The proposed Johnstone network changes have been amended:-

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/news/johnstone.aspx

McGill's to make the Johnstone bus network more reliable with proposed changes.​

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK​

Since announcing our proposed changes to the Johnstone bus network, we have received some invaluable feedback, which has lead us make the following changes to our plans:​

• The 38 will continue to provide journeys between Kilbarchan and Glasgow via Paisley in the morning, evening and all day on Sundays
  • While we had always planned to keep the 38A operating between Spateston and Glasgow, via Paisley in the morning and peak evening, the 38 will now continue operate late into the night and all day on Sundays between Spateston and Glasgow.

Join us at one of our Johnstone Network Customer Consultation meetings to discuss the proposed changes.
1pm, Wednesday 7th April - Register here
6.30pm, Thursday 8th April - Register here
Read our full updated proposal here.

Please email your feedback to [email protected].

HOW ARE WE IMPROVING YOUR BUS SERVICE?
SERVICE 30Offering regular journeys between Spateston, Corseford and Johnstone Town Centre throughout the day, operating every 20 minutes, and no longer impacted by delays in Paisley and Glasgow.
SERVICE 31Offering more journeys on a circular route linking Cochrane Castle and Johnstone Castle with Johnstone Town Centre and Station throughout the day, operating every 20 minutes.
SERVICE 32Offering regular journeys between Kilbarchan and Johnstone Town Centre throughout the day,operating every 20 minutes, and no longer impacted by delays in Paisley and Glasgow.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR CURRENT SERVICES IN JOHNSTONE?​

SERVICE 20Will operate between Johnstone High Street and Whitehaugh via RAH & Paisley Town Centre
SERVICE 38Will operate every 10 minutes between Johnstone High Street and Glasgow, via Paisley. The 38 will continue to serve Kilbarchan in the morning and evening, as well as Spateston in the evening.
SERVICE 38AWill continue to operate in the morning and evening peak periods, between Spateston and Glasgow, via Paisley.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR OUR CUSTOMERS?​

• Reliable, frequent local services across the Johnstone area.
  • Customers making local journeys will no longer be impacted by delays caused by congestion in Glasgow and Paisley
  • Through journeys to Glasgow and Paisley from Spateston and Kilbarchan in the morning, evening and on Sundays.
  • We’re working with Renfrewshire Council to create a new Interchange Hub on High Street to make service connections as seamless as possible
  • Improved access to Johnstone Health Centre, with services 30 and 32 serving the bus stop on Quarry Street
  • More buses from Kilbarchan before 9am
  • More buses from Spateston and Corseford before 9am

HOW WOULD THESE CHANGES AFFECT YOUR AREA?

COCHRANE CASTLE AND JOHNSTONE CASTLE - SERVICE 31
  • Our new 31 circular will operate every 20 minutes from Houston Square via Church Street, Graham Street, Quarrelton Road, Rannoch Road, Burns Drive, Elm Drive, Hazel Avenue, Thornhill and High Street.
  • To keep commuter journeys simple, our current 38A will continue to operate every 10 minutes Monday to Friday during peak times, maintaining links to Paisley and Glasgow.
  • The 38 will continue to serve Cochrane Castle and Johnstone Castle in the evenings and on Sundays.
  • The service 20 will no longer serve Cochrane Castle or Johnstone Castle. Customers wishing to travel beyond Johnstone can connect with the 20, 38 or 904 at the new Interchange Hub on High Street or by alighting and crossing the road at Thornhill.
FLOORS STREET
  • Some journeys on our new service 30 will divert via Floors Street to maintain an hourly link with Johnstone Town Centre throughout the day, Monday to Saturday.
  • Service 20 will no longer serve Floors Street. Those travelling beyond Johnstone Town Centre can connect with the 20, 38 and 904 at the new Interchange Hub on High Street.
KILBARCHAN - SERVICE 32
  • Our new service 32 will operate every 20 minutes during the day between Kilbarchan and Johnstone Town Centre, via the current 38 route to Graham Street, taking Quarry Street and William Street to the Houston Square stops on High Street. From Johnstone Town Centre it will serve the current 38 route to Kilbarchan.
  • In the morning, evening and on Sundays, the 38 will continue to operate between Kilbarchan and Glasgow via Paisley.
NORTH STREET
  • Our new service 30 will divert via North Road and Park Road hourly to maintain a link with Johnstone Town Centre during the day, Monday to Saturday.
  • Service 20 will no longer operate via North Road or Park Road. Those travelling beyond Johnstone Town Centre can connect with the 20, 38 and 904 at the new Interchange Hub on High Street.
SPATESTON AND CORSEFORD - SERVICE 30
  • Our new service 30 will provide frequent journeys between Spateston and Johnstone Town Centre, via Corseford, Beith Road, Quarrelton Road, Graham Street and William Street to the bus stops at Houston Square, every 20 minutes throughout the day.
  • In the morning and evening peak periods, the 38A will operate between Spateston and Glasgow via Paisley.
  • In the evening and on Sundays, the 38 will continue to operate between Spateston and Glasgow via Paisley.

1617294086775.png

Read about all of the proposed changes and view maps of the proposed new routes here.
Find our proposed timetables here:
Service 20 - Johnstone to Paisley, via RAH
Service 30 - High Street, Johnstone to Spateston
Service 31 - High Street, Johnstone to Cochrane Castle and Johnstone Castle
Service 32 - High Street, Johnstone to Kilbarchan
Service 38 - High Street, Johnstone to Glasgow, via Paisley

markymark2000

On Moderation
Those new timetables were create rather fast, with the revised changes in mind?
I think some of it is making trips which were due to interwork into trips which now run as a 38 throughout. This basically just simplified the service for people who travel 'through' Johnstone.

Not sure I like the idea of the 38 though still. 1 route number having so many variations. Must be very confusing for passengers.

Arriva Fan

I think some of it is making trips which were due to interwork into trips which now run as a 38 throughout. This basically just simplified the service for people who travel 'through' Johnstone.

Not sure I like the idea of the 38 though still. 1 route number having so many variations. Must be very confusing for passengers.
It's a mess, and this is just making a bigger one for me. The 31 is not needed either, just run the 30 as it was, Spateston-Corseford-Johnstone-Castle-Cochrane Castle. And the 32 should be 36, just for familiarity.

markymark2000

On Moderation
It's a mess, and this is just making a bigger one for me. The 31 is not needed either, just run the 30 as it was, Spateston-Corseford-Johnstone-Castle-Cochrane Castle. And the 32 should be 36, just for familiarity.
That's the only 2 critisims I have of McGills. The services are so random with all the 'dead millage trips' and the many variations. It's not good for passengers planning journeys. I think I will certainly send in some feedback there hopefully it will be simplified a bit.

I'd be interesting to know the journeys people are making from these areas as if people are only going to Paisley, they could make use some of the 51A dead millage trips to start back at Spateston and run them as extensions to the newly proposed loops (31 Spateston to Johnstone with peak extensions to Paisley)

Stan Drews

Established Member
I'd be interesting to know the journeys people are making from these areas as if people are only going to Paisley, they could make use some of the 51A dead millage trips to start back at Spateston and run them as extensions to the newly proposed loops (31 Spateston to Johnstone with peak extensions to Paisley)

So, you’d suggest introducing even more random variations!!

If I’m reading the timetables correctly, it looks like they are reducing the current permutations around the Johnstone area, and managing to increase the number of journeys. All 38 journeys from Spateston look to be going via the Castles, unlike just now when some do, some don’t.
As commented a few posts back by someone else, it looks like the previous through (32/38) journeys will just simply run throughout as the 38, and they’ve made the hourly evening journeys to each ‘leg’ run through as well. Both seem to make sense, and will probably alleviate a number of the gripes that appeared on their social media post last week.

markymark2000

On Moderation
So, you’d suggest introducing even more random variations!!

If I’m reading the timetables correctly, it looks like they are reducing the current permutations around the Johnstone area, and managing to increase the number of journeys. All 38 journeys from Spateston look to be going via the Castles, unlike just now when some do, some don’t.
As commented a few posts back by someone else, it looks like the previous through (32/38) journeys will just simply run throughout as the 38, and they’ve made the hourly evening journeys to each ‘leg’ run through as well. Both seem to make sense, and will probably alleviate a number of the gripes that appeared on their social media post last week.
Not quite. The 51A is already a random service. Least is a new number rather than 38 with 3 different routing options.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Isn't the 51A not just a depot placing service
Yes, it is simply the dead runs between Johnstone depot and Paisley or Barrhead, registered in order to qualify for BSOG (Bus Service Operators Grant). Therefore, it would make no sense for it to form some integral part of the new Johnstone area network.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Yes, it is simply the dead runs between Johnstone depot and Paisley or Barrhead, registered in order to qualify for BSOG (Bus Service Operators Grant). Therefore, it would make no sense for it to form some integral part of the new Johnstone area network.
Yes and no. It depends how you look at it. McGills already do the random dead millage trips so it wouldn't be a million miles away from their existing operating style. The difference is it keeps some of the peak time links and does so at low cost.

In the end, I didn't suggest that to McGills, I used another service as part of my response to their consultation.

overthewater

Established Member
McGills might be better off trying to run a direct bus from Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to the Johnston area via Braehead and the M8.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volvodart

Established Member

Stan Drews

Established Member
With a number of the ex-Kinchbus Citaros now in service at Johnstone depot, there have been some subsequent fleet movements.
ADL E200s 8023-6 JO-IN
ADL E200 8445 JO-CO
ADL E200s 8431/2 IN-GR
Optare Solos 7253/6 IN-Reserve
The following SPT owned buses have left the fleet - Merc 0150 and Solos 7803/8/24
The following leased ADL E200s have been returned to the leasing company - 8425/6/7 (YX16OFC/D/E).

(CO - Coatbridge; GR - Greenock; IN - Inchinnan; JO - Johnstone)

Clydeflyer

For those of you who like a novelty working, the 547 service today that passes me (Greenock - Gourock - Lunderston Bay/Cardwell Garden Centre) is being run by open-topper G6906 even though the tracker says it is G6014. Nice to see... 547 is a nice touristy route so suits the open top approach on (rare) sunny days like today. There's lots of cruises due in this summer (every cruise operator seems to be sending their fleet here to do round-UK cruises so long as you have had your jabs) so hopefully it will be worked that way when ships are in too.

Stan Drews

Established Member
For those of you who like a novelty working, the 547 service today that passes me (Greenock - Gourock - Lunderston Bay/Cardwell Garden Centre) is being run by open-topper G6906 even though the tracker says it is G6014. Nice to see... 547 is a nice touristy route so suits the open top approach on (rare) sunny days like today. There's lots of cruises due in this summer (every cruise operator seems to be sending their fleet here to do round-UK cruises so long as you have had your jabs) so hopefully it will be worked that way when ships are in too.
It did finally show as G 6906 on the app, complete with appropriate red open top picture, but after a ticket machine swap, it finished the day showing as ‘G 0101’.
It should be out again tomorrow, again on one of the two 547 workings.

The open top was doing good business today, on the 547.DAA36564-1B08-4861-BC6B-7C5E59F3E2EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
McGill's Greenock are having an open day on 3 July 2021:-

https://twitter.com/Buses_McGills/status/1392494966627315717

McGill's Buses
@Buses_McGills

·
29m

Guess what... Keep Saturday 3rd July 2021 in your diaries! Watch this space for more information! Who's coming along?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full details of the Johnstone Network Changes on 31 May 2021 are now available. There is also a booklet of all timetables for the area below the individual timetables.

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/news/johnstone-network-changes-.aspx

Johnstone Network Changes​

We are making the Johnstone bus network more reliable from Monday 31st May 2021.​

Why are we making these changes?​

Ø Improved punctuality and reliability on Johnstone local services as not adversely affected by issues in Paisley/Glasgow areas.

Ø Increased frequency of buses between Johnstone town centre and Cochrane Castle and Johnstone Castle.

Ø Services 30 (Spateston) and 32 (Kilbarchan) will serve the bus stop on Quarry Street for easier access to Johnstone Health Centre.

Ø No disruptions to current fares structure – through fares will be available.

Ø Introduction of new electric vehicles in the Autumn of 2021.

You can view your Johnstone timetables below.​
ServiceRouteTimetable
20Johnston to Paisley via Elderslie & RahClick here
30Johnstone Houston Square to Spateston via CrosefordClick here
31Johnstone Houston Square to Cochrane Castle & Johnstone CastleClick here
32Johnstone Houston Square to KilbarchanClick here
38Johnstone/Spateston to GlasgowClick here
38AJohnstone/Spateston to GlasgowClick here

Click these links to view maps for:
Service 20
Service 30
Service 31
Service 32
Service 38/38a
Full Johnstone Network
Johnstone Town Centre

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
Ex-Kinch Citaro BX64WJD has been photoed at Johnson's Bros in Mansfield. Is it still due to arrive at McGills?

KGGXXXY

Article states the new electric buses may be at the open day next Month.

BUS Chief In Tribute To His Team As McGill’s Get Ready To Mark 20 Years In Inverclyde​

5 June, 2021 |
ralph-roberts.jpg

THE boss of McGill’s Buses has spoken of his staff’s ‘breath-taking dedication’ during the pandemic, as the firm prepares to celebrate two decades of serving Inverclyde.
Chief executive Ralph Roberts paid tribute to employees who have stepped up as the company copes with the challenges of covid-19.
mcgills-depot.jpg

McGill’s plan to celebrate two decades of operating in the district with an action-packed open day at their Greenock depot in July.
Ralph said: “I knew I was blessed with a brilliant team, but when a pandemic happens, that’s when you really see it. The dedication was breath-taking.
“At the start of the pandemic, when we had no passengers, and before furlough, we had meetings with hundreds of staff to try and decide what to do.
“We didn’t want to make redundancies. Almost everyone voted for a three-day week to keep everyone in a job. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.”
It was at the start of Greenock Fair in 2001 that the McGill’s operation — owned by Greenock brothers Sandy and James Easdale — started in Inverclyde with 32 minibuses rented from Arriva.
It’s impressive expansion really got going after Ralph arrived in 2010, going from 60 buses to the current 600. As the biggest independent operator in the UK, it now has routes in a number of areas including Inverclyde, Renfrewshire, Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Dundee.
mcgills20-com1.jpg

McGill’s has been at the forefront of investment in vehicle and ticketing technology and is awaiting delivery of a 56-strong fleet of electric buses to be based in Inchinnan and Johnstone.
The first of those vehicles is expected to be one of many available for people to have a ride on at the open day at the Earnhill Road depot on 3 July alongside vintage Clydeside buses and Ralph’s own 1977 Western Leyland Leopard.
An original McGill’s Mercedes minibus will be there too, plus one of the company’s modern small buses, and a double-decker repainted in heritage livery from the original McGill’s of Barrhead access to workshop.
McGill’s Buses
mcgills20-com2.jpg

Established Member
Ex-Kinch Citaro BX64WJD has been photoed at Johnson's Bros in Mansfield. Is it still due to arrive at McGills?
A post on the Derby bus depot forum says that it is having some extensive work done before joining the rest of the Ex-Kinch Citaro's in Scotland.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Electrification work begins:

Depot infrastructure upgrade work at three McGill’s Buses depots has started as part of a 68-bus electrification project by the operator. It will ready McGill’s own premises at Inchinnan and Johnstone and the Xplore Dundee depot for the vehicles, all of which are to arrive ahead of the COP26 climate change conference in Glasgow in November.

£32.5m is being invested in the transformation, partly funded by the Scottish Ultra Low Emission Bus Scheme. By the end of 2021, McGill’s will operate Scotland’s largest zero-emission bus fleet, the operator says.

Electrification infrastructure is being installed by Zenobe Energy and the supplier’s software will enable McGill’s staff to monitor all depots’ charging from a single location.

Adds McGill’s Group Chief Executive Ralph Roberts: “The introduction of electric vehicles will lead to a huge reduction in CO2 emissions from our operations. McGill’s is excited to be leading the way with the largest electric fleet in Scotland by COP26 in November. Transforming our depots to get ready for these new buses is a hugely important part of the jigsaw and we are delighted to start that process with Zenobe Energy.”

Of the 68 battery-electric buses on order for McGill’s Group, 55 are Yutong E12s, of which one was present at Inchinnan depot for a launch event for the infrastructure work. 13 BYD ADL models are also on order: One Enviro200EV, and 12 Enviro400EVs for Xplore Dundee. Once all are in service, McGill’s will require 28MW/h of energy to charge them on a typical night.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Anyone know what McGill’s are planning here?

“Due to continued expansion we are now looking for experienced InterCity Coach Drivers for an exciting new project which will commence in the very near future.”
A similar job post has been put on the Flixbus thread with the advert showing a Flixbus coach.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Beaten to it! There's some speculation that it maybe for Flixbus. Discussion here: