• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the most recent posts have had more relevance to the Xplore Dundee operation, they have been moved to the appropriate thread:

route101

Established Member
Nice to see an open topper on a regular service in Scotland.

I used the 38 from Paisley to Glasgow on Sunday. Service full and standing from Paisley. I do wonder if decker's would of been more suitable for this route.

Scotrail88

McGill’s Buses has ordered a further 41 Yutong battery-electric buses. They will be part-funded by phase one of the Scottish Zero Emission Bus (ScotZEB) challenge fund and take to 96 the number of Yutong zero-emission buses with the operator.

Of those on order, 10 will be the 10.9m E10 model and the remaining 31 will be the 12.2m E12. Supplier Pelican Bus and Coach previously delivered 55 E12s to McGill’s, all of which arrived before the COP26 climate change summit in November 2021.

The 41 additional buses are due to be delivered and in service in Q1 2023, subject to infrastructure work. When they are in use, almost 25% of the McGill’s fleet will be zero-emission. £9.09m of ScotZEB money will go towards the latest batch.

Do we have any idea what routes these will appear on?
Don’t think the express services will cope with range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Do we have any idea what routes these will appear on?
Don’t think the express services will cope with range.
They're proposed to be for the 3, 7, 61, 64, 517, 531, 532, 533 & 904. The CEO confirmed this on the "Official McGill's Bus Enthusiast Group" on Facebook back in March.

They're proposed to be for the 3, 7, 61, 64, 517, 531, 532, 533 & 904. The CEO confirmed this on the "Official McGill's Bus Enthusiast Group" on Facebook back in March.
Aren't most of those routes using buses branded very recently? I know that the 531/2/3 and 517 are all currently dedicated branded E200MMCs that moved in around Oct/Nov last year when the E12s came to Inchinnan.

mb88

I’m hearing murmurings that McGills intend to close the Coatbridge depot and the staff there have been given their 90 days notice. Can anyone confirm this?

gnolife

Established Member
Aren't most of those routes using buses branded very recently? I know that the 531/2/3 and 517 are all currently dedicated branded E200MMCs that moved in around Oct/Nov last year when the E12s came to Inchinnan.
The 7 uses branded ex-38 Citaros and the 61 has branded E200 MMCs as well. The 3 usually seems to be 38 branded E12s

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I’m hearing murmurings that McGills intend to close the Coatbridge depot and the staff there have been given their 90 days notice. Can anyone confirm this?

I did see someone make a post on the local community page last week, but I cannot find anything in any of the local and regional rags, nor anything on the SPT website either.

Of note, the 147/247 that runs Monklands Hospital to Kirkintilloch/Kilsyth are operated by Coatbridge and are supported by SPT.

Observer

I did see someone make a post on the local community page last week, but I cannot find anything in any of the local and regional rags, nor anything on the SPT website either.

Of note, the 147/247 that runs Monklands Hospital to Kirkintilloch/Kilsyth are operated by Coatbridge and are supported by SPT.
Yes and it has been retendered as posted in the SPT thread:

There will likely be more contracts to be awarded for July for any other routes but there hasn't been another meeting of SPT's Operation Committee yet. Last one was in January:

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Interesting name choice considering that pre City Sightseeing the Glasgow tour was Discovering Glasgow!
They recently started an open top tour in Dundee, which is branded as Discover Dundee, so I expect they have simply kept that ‘theme’.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Here we go again, anything for a quick buck.

"Commercial Bus Operator Tries to Make Money"
Shock! Horror!

I really don't understand why you have a problem with this. McGills have obviously identified that there's room for them in the market and that they could potentially make some money out of it; why else would they do it?

We've seen from the "other" city that a challenger to the incumbent tour operator can do quite well. Good luck to them.

To be fair though, as much as most locals don't think Glasgow is that interesting, tourists seem to still absolutely love here so there's a good chance this succeeds a lot.
Or simply splits the revenue that West Coast Buses takes.

Why would you have a beef with this? They're a bus company providing a service with a bus. What is the problem.
It’s unnecessary.

Do you feel the same about every city with a second tour operator, or is it just McGills?
I’ve no problem who operates a tour service.

"Commercial Bus Operator Tries to Make Money"
Shock! Horror!
Unsurprising, Yes.

I really don't understand why you have a problem with this. McGills have obviously identified that there's room for them in the market and that they could potentially make some money out of it; why else would they do it?

We've seen from the "other" city that a challenger to the incumbent tour operator can do quite well. Good luck to them.
Indeed…

I quite frankly don’t care about the finances of any company, ultimately this is what this boils down to, I’m just seeing things for what they are and accordingly question whether it is necessary, needed or even if it’s logical…where public transport is concerned.

In the midst of an apparent driver shortage and yet there’s space in the industry to pull drivers from somewhere to operate a tour service when there’s already one in place? Apparently so.

West Coast Motors have recently it would seem invested in Electric Buses for use on there own Sightseeing Route yet McGills will likely be using Diesels for this, seems to defeat the purposes of a LEZ or even our governments Net Zero targets.

This also goes for Edinburgh Tours/Bright Bus Tours.

The answer? a cohesive Re-Regulation of what is allowed and what is not.

Am I over reaching having these concerns? Possibly, but there relevant all the same.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Or simply splits the revenue that West Coast Buses takes.
That's not a problem if the market is big enough to sustain two operators. Clearly McGills think there's a big enough pie for them go be able to have a slice.

I’ve no problem who operates a tour service
You obviously do otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion! :)

In the midst of an apparent driver shortage and yet there’s space in the industry to pull drivers from somewhere to operate a tour service when there’s already one in place? Apparently so.
Not this old chestnut again. :rolleyes:

West Coast Motors have recently it would seem invested in Electric Buses for use on there own Sightseeing Route yet McGills will likely be using Diesels for this, seems to defeat the purposes of a LEZ or even our governments Net Zero targets.
"Will likely" suggests that you don't actually know what vehicles they will be using. If they do use diesel buses, they'll have to comply with whatever regulations are required.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I imagine it'll use the four recently acquired B9TL Gemini 2s from Lothian:
Four Volvo B9TL with open top Wright Gemini bodywork have been acquired from Lothian Buses. They are:
2852 - BF60UUG
2853 - BF60UUH
2854 - BF60UUJ
2855 - LX60DXA

Not this old chestnut again. :rolleyes:
I think it's a perfectly valid point if the operator is struggling to cover their core commercial network (see: Dundee)

Spsf3232

I imagine it'll use the four recently acquired B9TL Gemini 2s from Lothian:

I think it's a perfectly valid point if the operator is struggling to cover their core commercial network (see: Dundee)

I've said it before regarding all the operations that do this type of work, it doesn't take drivers away from normal service as these drivers are new recruits who won't do the normal service work. It's not drivers taken from normal service and those drivers who they do employ won't stay around if the service finishes in winter. The argument that they are taking drivers from normal services which are short is invalid

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've said it before regarding all the operations that do this type of work, it doesn't take drivers away from normal service as these drivers are new recruits who won't do the normal service work. It's not drivers taken from normal service and those drivers who they do employ won't stay around if the service finishes in winter. The argument that they are taking drivers from normal services which are short is invalid
There's 2 things that make it not invalid btw:

1) Paying more for tour staff will absolutely cause issues on the normal network as it'll turn drivers against you if they want more too and can't get it.

2) It deters passengers of your normal network if there's clearly more effort being put into tours than getting more drivers in for normal work.

col197

There's 2 things that make it not invalid btw:

1) Paying more for tour staff will absolutely cause issues on the normal network as it'll turn drivers against you if they want more too and can't get it.
That doesn’t make sense. Have the mcgills drivers turned against the flixbus drivers? Have the Citybus drivers turned agains the Glasgow sightseeing drivers?
2) It deters passengers of your normal network if there's clearly more effort being put into tours than getting more drivers in for normal work.
Are these the same passengers who want a bus lane on every inch of the city?

PaulMc7

Established Member
That doesn’t make sense. Have the mcgills drivers turned against the flixbus drivers? Have the Citybus drivers turned agains the Glasgow sightseeing drivers?

Are these the same passengers who want a bus lane on every inch of the city?
It makes plenty of sense. If people are in the same job as others but paid more and if anything have it much easier it is likely to turn some heads. That's part of every industry. We do need more bus lanes in the city to be fair and main roads especially should have more