• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MCO Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
Quite a few Northern services change crew at Manchester Oxford Road, and I was wondering if they are Piccadilly based crew and if so do they just travel pass on the many services between the 2 stations or is it more complicated? Also, do Manchester crews work the Liverpool stopping service from Oxford Road?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thomas6187

That basically what happens, but it's not always Piccadilly Crews, its a mix several depots(Buxton, Victoria, Piccadilly)

Also some of the Liverpool via Warrington are worked by Piccadilly traincrew

northernchris

Established Member
Thanks for response, didn't realise Victoria crews also signed through Oxford Road

Wigan and Blackpool crews also change at MCO.

South from MCO
Vic men sign - Stockport, Hazel Grove , Airport
Wigan sign Stockport and the Airport
Liverpool sign the airport.
Blackpool only sign to MCO.

West/North of MCO
Piccadilly Guards only sign Liverpool via Warrington.
Some Picc drivers sign Preston and Liverpool.

Train crew are not allowed to relieve trains (officially) on Platforms 13/14 at Piccadilly hence the large numbers of crew swops at MCO.

You'll notice TPE crews also change there for the same reason!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
When XC trains (prior to Voyagers) ran through Manchester Picc from south to Scotland, traincrew relief took place at Stockport. Crews had to pass to and from because ofthe unsuitability of changing in 13/14 at Picc.

northernchris

Established Member
I'm guessing traincrew changes can't take place at piccadilly platforms 13/14 in case of unavailability? Given today's cancellations its definitely a good idea as Victoria in particular seem to be short

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Critical on Platforms 13/14 where trains more or less following each other. You can't risk any potential delay there.

Darren R

Established Member
Wigan and Blackpool crews also change at MCO.

South from MCO
Vic men sign - Stockport, Hazel Grove , Airport
Wigan sign Stockport and the Airport
Liverpool sign the airport.
Blackpool only sign to MCO.

West/North of MCO
Piccadilly Guards only sign Liverpool via Warrington.
Some Picc drivers sign Preston and Liverpool.

Train crew are not allowed to relieve trains (officially) on Platforms 13/14 at Piccadilly hence the large numbers of crew swops at MCO.

You'll notice TPE crews also change there for the same reason!

That's interesting. One thing I've wondered in idle moments: which depots do the train crew for the 0554 Buxton to Clitheroe? I've always assumed that a Vic crew took over at Oxford Rd from a Stockport crew (since it sometimes gets cancelled there due to traincrew problems - you know who you are! :lol:)

TOCDriver

I'm guessing traincrew changes can't take place at piccadilly platforms 13/14 in case of unavailability? Given today's cancellations its definitely a good idea as Victoria in particular seem to be short

You do get some drivers swapping at Piccadilly to take it down to Oxford Road for the main change. It does happen sometimes, particularly when things have gone t*ts up and last minute planning changes have occurred

Last edited:

Most crews on Northern will unofficially change at Piccadilly. As you are usually booked as a passenger from Picc to MCO on the service you relieve at MCO if that makes sense.

Certainly a regular thing on the Wilmslows in the evening.

Geeves

Established Member
Buxton guards and drivers sign to Preston I think, actually it could just be guards... Piccadilly men no longer sign through Bolton. Vic men also sign all the terminal platforms at Picc as they work to Chester via Altrincham plus shunts via Ashburys to NH. Liverpool men do both the Chatmoss and the CLC stoppers out of MCO in addition to Piccadilly men via CLC only.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I thought that when Virgin and under BR ran from Scotland via Manchester to Birmingham they had a change of Traincrew at Preston through to Birmingham. I am a little confused as to why they would change Traincrew at Stockport.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Manchester Vic Drivers used to work to/from Preston in the days to which I'm referring and they had no route knowledge to Birmingham. At that time Manchester Picc (or Longsight) did not work to Preston.

northernchris

Established Member
Buxton guards and drivers sign to Preston I think, actually it could just be guards... Piccadilly men no longer sign through Bolton. Vic men also sign all the terminal platforms at Picc as they work to Chester via Altrincham plus shunts via Ashburys to NH. Liverpool men do both the Chatmoss and the CLC stoppers out of MCO in addition to Piccadilly men via CLC only.

Victoria crew signing Chester seems an odd one, how do they get to/from Piccadilly?

Only Vic drivers sign Chester.
They get over in a variety of ways. Bringing empty stock from Newton Heath. Working into MCO from Wigan/Preston/Southport or Northern have a staff car/Taxi system which is also used between the two depots.

Status
Not open for further replies.